Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

That's a good question. I foresee about another 2-2.5 years. I think it will take the time for the current slew of towers to fill in.

geez louise! can't we employ time lapse here for my field of dreams? "if you build it, they will come [in 2-2.5 years]" does not do the trick for me! :angry:

geez louise! can't we employ time lapse here for my field of dreams? "if you build it, they will come [in 2-2.5 years]" does not do the trick for me! :angry:

Well, the reality is that it will slowly happen over time. It won't just be something that occurs on February 22nd, 2007. And the answer I gave is just my opinion. There's more foot traffic on the weekends than there was last year in downtown. (maybe it's just the homeless people that i'm seeing)

What kind of music was it?

I was only there a couple of times but I remember jazz and swing.

It was very high end and I think the wine cellar, at the time, was the largest (or among the largest) in the Orlando area. This was in the mid-'90s.... it wasn't downtown though; it was in Longwood at 434 and I-4, in the Jacobson's shopping plaza.

It was a long drive from downtown, but worth it... and they had a *great* bar. Very clubby and masculine, with lots of mahoghany. We need something like that downtown.

I was only there a couple of times but I remember jazz and swing.

It was very high end and I think the wine cellar, at the time, was the largest (or among the largest) in the Orlando area. This was in the mid-'90s.... it wasn't downtown though; it was in Longwood at 434 and I-4, in the Jacobson's shopping plaza.

It was a long drive from downtown, but worth it... and they had a *great* bar. Very clubby and masculine, with lots of mahoghany. We need something like that downtown.

i remember the advertisements for it and somehow recall it as a place magic players went to hang out?

have you been to the oak room downton? pretty nice...

in regards to orlando cuisine, i today had lunch a new little hawaiian/oriental mart on fairbanks in winter park. it's between wymore and edgewater in the same strip mall as the sole proprietorships that serve mediterranean food and the winter park deli (owned by asians who make delicious subs). what a nice combination for a suburb that i'd also welcome downtown!

I say if that's what it takes to keep 'em here, then do it.

It would have been nice to have a clause in that agreement stating that they would open Flagships of their restaurants somewhere DT and run them at loss if necessary. Not hat I think about it, they used to have that Olive Garden at Church Street Market...

It would have been nice to have a clause in that agreement stating that they would open Flagships of their restaurants somewhere DT and run them at loss if necessary. Not hat I think about it, they used to have that Olive Garden at Church Street Market...

Well, Orange County is giving them the incentive, not City of Orlando and I'm pretty sure Darden has one of each of their restaurants in the area of I-Drive if not directly on it. I think they are all on I-drive except Season's 52 and there is one on Sand Lake.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find the Sanctuary thread, so this one works...

Anyone that has been by the building has seen the posters for The Beacon, which will be taking the corner spot on Pine and Eola.

There were new posters up on the next space which occupies what is left running along Eola. It said Fifi's... a patisserie and then further down it said graze.

They were just starting to do some work in there. It's going to be awhile before it is open, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is 1 or 2 restaurants. Is graze being used as a marketing reference for Fifi's or could this be a separate restaurant that cows will enjoy?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this place fully open? I walked by today and swanksters were setting up tables and chairs in the outdoor seating area. They had a crap handrail that was curved yesterday but it is gone today.

Nope.

On the food note, Sentinel Calendar section today states that the old Lee's Lakeside spot is aiming to open up by Labor Day weekend.

Is this place fully open? I walked by today and swanksters were setting up tables and chairs in the outdoor seating area. They had a crap handrail that was curved yesterday but it is gone today.

This place opened Friday night, and the handrail is there in it's full utilitarianess. I have a view of the patio from The Waverly, and the stark white concrete, the handrail, and the construction fence for 801 Eola keeps it from looking inviting. The whole pedestrian experience at the base of The Sanctuary is just wrong, and may be helped by something as simple as fabric awnings.

As for the restaurant, does anyone know what the food concept is? Judging from the crowd and furnishings, I'm expecting another Asian fusion theme like Hue.

This place opened Friday night, and the handrail is there in it's full utilitarianess. I have a view of the patio from The Waverly, and the stark white concrete, the handrail, and the construction fence for 801 Eola keeps it from looking inviting. The whole pedestrian experience at the base of The Sanctuary is just wrong, and may be helped by something as simple as fabric awnings.

As for the restaurant, does anyone know what the food concept is? Judging from the crowd and furnishings, I'm expecting another Asian fusion theme like Hue.

It is indeed fully open (I live in Eola S. and sit on my balcony watching the hipsters get tipsy over there). It appears to be a tapas & lounge place and doesn't open until 5-ish. The orange colors they're using for the seating/umbrellas really pops out from the (as mentioned) starkness of the Sanctuary...

My first trip is Tuesday night for a meeting -- I'll let you know what I find/think.

It is indeed fully open (I live in Eola S. and sit on my balcony watching the hipsters get tipsy over there). It appears to be a tapas & lounge place and doesn't open until 5-ish. The orange colors they're using for the seating/umbrellas really pops out from the (as mentioned) starkness of the Sanctuary...

My first trip is Tuesday night for a meeting -- I'll let you know what I find/think.

Wow... I saw the railing today... it's pretty bad. They need planters or something... BIG planters, and lighting or... something. I thought the Sanctuary would have better pedestrian orientation than this.

They actually used blue tape to connect sections of the railing that were taken down to get the furniture in. Railing was all chewed up and twisted and looks terrible. I can't understand why the entire pedestrian area for this building was just forgotten. I think the building looks fine.

They actually used blue tape to connect sections of the railing that were taken down to get the furniture in. Railing was all chewed up and twisted and looks terrible. I can't understand why the entire pedestrian area for this building was just forgotten. I think the building looks fine.

When I walked by today, 2 guys were welding rail pieces together. That orange just isn't working for me.

BTW -- they are only open for tapas & drinks at 8PM for another week or so at which point they will switch to their full menu (including full dinners)... Stopped in to have a drink last night at 7 (they weren't open yet <ugh>) and the place looks pretty cool on the inside...

• 2 months later...

In regard to The Beacon, yes it's cool and I welcome it, however I do think it's a bit over-rated. The food they do have is great, I just wish it would be a full restaurant rather than tapas style. Awesome martini list though.

I went to Press 101 in Dr. Philips recently. That place rocks. Great atmosphere, excellent food, decent wine and good prices. That would be perfect in Thornton Park.

Im also a fan of Luma (WP), Taste (CP), K (CP). And one place that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Greek Corner on Lake Ivanhoe with its cool greek-karaoke dude :)

Ahhh, Food... Now this is my subject... other than interior walls. haha

upper middle range: California Grill, top floor of Contemporary Resort (Disney Entrance) Great place to take a date and make sure you make a reservation where you will get to see the fireworks at disney. They turn out the lights and everyone watches.

Pizza: Dom's Pizza, behind hurryback on Edgewater and Lee Rd

Mexican: Garibaldi's, Semoran and Colonial

Thai: Thai House, Colonial and Garden Plaza (close to bumby rd)

Po Boys: Jockomos, Sandlake and Johnyoung (i notice someone else mentioned this, it's good!)

Cuban Sandwich: Coffee House of Thornton Park, Great coffee too.

Barbeque: Cecil's Barbeque, Orange Ave and Michigan beside Washington Mutual. The Westener on Texas Toast with Pork and Beef is the best sandwhich I ever had.

Barbeque: Cecil's Barbeque, Orange Ave and Michigan beside Washington Mutual. The Westener on Texas Toast with Pork and Beef is the best sandwhich I ever had.

I always see people in there, so I tried it once and decided I would never go back. I just remember getting a usual pork sandwich and the meat was tough and dry.

It could have just been a bad day for them, but alas... first impressions.