Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J stops at Artisan’s Table in its new digs

I'm in this vicinity a couple nights a week and I hardly ever see many (any) customers inside. I was told they do better with the late night crowd, but I'm not out late enough to confirm.

What they are serving now is a long ways from when they first opened in terms of quality, but as Joseph points out it may play better with the intended crowd.

This is a rough time for them to be so slow as we're coming up on the dog days, when many a restaurant dies. Hope they have deep pockets.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I'm in this vicinity a couple nights a week and I hardly ever see many (any) customers inside. I was told they do better with the late night crowd, but I'm not out late enough to confirm.

What they are serving now is a long ways from when they first opened in terms of quality, but as Joseph points out it may play better with the intended crowd.

This is a rough time for them to be so slow as we're coming up on the dog days, when many a restaurant dies. Hope they have deep pockets.

I’ve been for breakfast and lunch twice in the last week and it’s been packed. Maybe I just picked a good time to go, but it looked to be bustling.

• Thanks 1

I went to Bite in Skyhouse that was the pizza place before. That place won't last 6 months. The space is about 3 times bigger than it should be, they are somewhat unorganized, and they are low-stocking ingredients because the volume isn't there and they don't have the cash or margins to increase inventory (not just fresh goods, even things like bottled water). It's a shame, because the food was good and that area should do very well in about 2 years when other potential customers show up from Radius, the hotel, and other potential projects in the area. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Too bad. I'm sure you'd agree that I hope you're proven wrong. Another example of poor business planning/ implementation. 

Scott Joseph writes a lot about that in his columns (of course, I’m sure the fact he is now doing restaurant consulting no doubt has something to do with that, but the point is still valid, I think). 

Oh yeah, I would love for something to do well there. I work in Landmark, and there aren't that many options around. The new Eola (old Handy Pantry) just opened so I can go back there again, but other than that it is Omega Deli downstairs or Subway nearby. The rest of the area is pretty barren right now so it's a bit of a hike to get to stuff on orange or around the lake. 

I am hoping that these businesses see a lot more success and we have more options once Radius opens. 

• Like 1

Somehow I missed this - it turns out Jaleo, the new signature restaurant at Disney Springs, has a quick service counter called Pepe. It looks quite tasty!

I’m already a big fan of the Petrakis’ Polite Pig So this is just one more way to avoid going, ummm, whole hog when I’m at LBV for lunch.

http://allears.net/2019/06/13/i-cant-believe-its-not-table-service-8-disney-world-meals-you-wont-believe-are-from-quick-service-restaurants/

From All Ears

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Good luck, unless that space shrank they got bad advice.

I went there for lunch today and was surprised it was good. My brain said salad, but they had a sandwich special (the Pride) which involved barbeque in mustard sauce... sold. Space is sterile, counter servers were surly and it took longer than it should so pretty typical downtown experience except the food was good.

I agree the space is too large and oddly configured, but I noticed several flyers for Arthur's Catering and a note on the menu that said ask about their unique event space. I assume they intend to try to capitalize on additional ways to use the space when the kitchen is down seeing as their hours are only 10-2 M-F. I also noticed some comment about full coffee bar and breakfast pastries coming soon- I assume for the courthouse crowd.

Arrived 11:45, place was dead. Left 12:30 and they had a decent line.

If they are running a full catering operation out of there then it can definitely work but still too big. I hear good things and need to check it out.

I tried Recess tonight and it pains me to say but very disappointing. I love Orlando Meats and think they are a shining light in the current culinary scene but this was not good. I'd like to try it again when they get staff that care working there. Dude working was definitely bored and burned everyone's pizza in the place. Few people from other groups sent them back or just decided to throw it out.

11 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I tried Recess tonight and it pains me to say but very disappointing.

Sad to hear. As you said the guys behind it are some of the best in the area. I've been 3 times- the pop up and twice since. The pop up was not great, but the subsequent visits were very good. It seems to matter who is manning the deck. Also as other folks have mentioned, the place is  not very comfortable or welcoming. 

Their grand opening is next week. I hope it goes well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Jvest55 said:

Chinese investors in ‘disastrous’ spot, suit says, after EB-5 deal goes wrong

https://www.franchisetimes.com/June-July-2018/Chinese-investors-in-disastrous-spot-suit-says-after-EB-5-deal-goes-wrong/

Terry Chan, wife Jacquelyn and his brother Gary used the EB-5 program “to enrich themselves” at the expense of seven Chinese nationals who each poured $500,000 into the Chans’ businesses.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Everything about that deal completely confuses me.

Another article about this in the OS today. So I again have to ask, how did the landlords, banks, City allow this to happen. The people behind Tre Bambine were WELL KNOWN and highly publicized crooks.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-tre-bambine-closing-legal-trouble-20190628-oq3ychdurfaulczmuigvg27zmm-story.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Another article about this in the OS today. So I again have to ask, how did the landlords, banks, City allow this to happen. The people behind Tre Bambine were WELL KNOWN and highly publicized crooks.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-tre-bambine-closing-legal-trouble-20190628-oq3ychdurfaulczmuigvg27zmm-story.html

It has all of the retailers at Post very confused. They gave them everything and knew they were frauds. They were 100% aware before it opened that they had all of these lawsuits against them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AmIReal said:

That's an easy answer. People don't even perform the simplest due diligence. Not even an ounce. Perhaps we are rare, in that many members of this forum do, but most people do not. 

It's a joke

Edited by Jvest55
  • Like 1