Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

A7D2E5BD-0EF8-411E-B089-C0329824C98B.thumb.png.40d4e82ff855791f0a898a61e9595938.png
04AAF660-680B-4F50-81B5-A6EFD5F77C84.thumb.png.2d9ccee01ad55c1d519710ed255a3b43.png

Mecatos is a homegrown Columbian cafe concept with 2 existing locations (Waterford & Lake Underhill).
https://mecatoscafe.com

Pokeworks is a national poke chain that appears to be on the brink of an aggressive expansion into Florida ... note all the “coming soon” locations on their website.
http://www.pokeworks.com/location-florida
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Major change on Church St. The Rusty Spoon has sold to new owners. Chef Blake is a multiple Beard award nom and is credited with starting the local food movement in Orlando while she was at Primo. Pretty much all of the best local chefs have trained under her over the years. No clue who the new owners are or when they will take over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

New owner is a woman from Netherlands who owns a cafe over there. She sued over her immigration status recently and I've maxed out my free PACER pages or I'd read what happened there. This could be an EB-5 visa purchase.

So basically, her initial app had a minor error and it was denied (uscis complaint). The Dutch lady files correction and request to move forward. US Immigration Service basically goes dark and doesn't respond to any court filings- nothing, nada, no word for 10 months. Judge finally get tired of INS f***ing off and issues go ahead on visa. INS sets on it a while longer. New Judge is appointed and goes off on INS and issue is finally resolved.

New owner closes on purchase of restaurant, which was signed last September and I assume everyone lives happily ever after.

This is your government at work.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Yea really surprised they pulled the plug just before UCF opening.  Bungalower hinted that he knows what’s potentially coming so maybe they had an offer that they had to take.

Rumor is a lot of infighting among the partner group. I'm hopeful any interpretation of Orlando Meats- pizza, sandwiches, whatever they want to do- survives in the space. Also hearing there may be some upheaval in the space next door.

11 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Rumor is a lot of infighting among the partner group. I'm hopeful any interpretation of Orlando Meats- pizza, sandwiches, whatever they want to do- survives in the space. Also hearing there may be some upheaval in the space next door.

Isn't the space next door Wells Fargo?

Scott J weighs in:

• Hank will be glad to know Orange County Brewers is changing its name;

• Scott agrees with Brandon about the viability of the location;

• Apparently Orlando Meats may get the space (definitely a win for downtown if they can make it work):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4831-bullet-exclamation-point-buffet

Edited by spenser1058

7 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I hope they don't spread themselves too thin. That is a big space with little foot traffic. If I lose Orlando Meats because of this I won't be happy.

Wonder if they are bailing on the Yard food hall.

I don't think they plan to use the entire space for just themselves. I suspect they will look for another brew partner. This is pure speculation and I've not heard a word about this, but I think it would be a great Red Light Red Light second location. I know they would love to expand their brewing operation so they can retail more and this seems like a ready made opportunity. Plus, I think people would go out of their way to go to Red Light.

The Yard food hall seems so far away from being done. The original opening date was right around now, then I heard Jan next year, but now I'm hearing this time next year... 

20 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I don't think they plan to use the entire space for just themselves. I suspect they will look for another brew partner. This is pure speculation and I've not heard a word about this, but I think it would be a great Red Light Red Light second location. I know they would love to expand their brewing operation so they can retail more and this seems like a ready made opportunity. Plus, I think people would go out of their way to go to Red Light.

The Yard food hall seems so far away from being done. The original opening date was right around now, then I heard Jan next year, but now I'm hearing this time next year... 

I love the idea of Redlight and them teaming up. They could make one setup their clean brewery and one their funky one. Make their lives a lot easier.

I may have some Yard news soon but last I heard Jan was going to be when the tenants would begin buildout but who knows if that has shifted.