Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

When I first moved to Orlando, I went to a sandwich place downtown advertising Orlando's best Philly Cheese Steaks.  It is long gone and I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was tucked somewhere between Orange & Magnolia (E/W) and Jefferson & Pine (N/S) in what appeared to me to be an older semi-historic building.

The point was that people in Orlando don't seem to know what a Philly Cheese Steak is.  This was ground beef with some cubed onions & bell peppers, topped with nacho cheese pumped from a warmer.  It was served on a large hot dog bun.  As I saw it being made, I was like "Excuse me, I no longer want to try your Philly Cheese Steak.  Can I order something else?"  They were cool about it, but the manager insisted that's the way REAL ones are made.  I've been to Phully-dulph-e-uh many times.  I have several friends in Phully.  That's not how they do it in Phully!

It also wasn't Cheez-Whiz, which is acceptable to some, but not to me.  This was just a giant tub of nacho cheese from Sam's Club or something.

District Dive from the owner of Southern Nights and Southern Craft opens tonight. It was meant to open right before Dorian - but ya know...

More of a "dive bar" atmosphere - as the name suggests as opposed to a club. 

I wish someone would buy the dump of a property across the street and just make that a little gay-borhood. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

District Dive from the owner of Southern Nights and Southern Craft opens tonight. It was meant to open right before Dorian - but ya know...

More of a "dive bar" atmosphere - as the name suggests as opposed to a club. 

I wish someone would buy the dump of a property across the street and just make that a little gay-borhood. 

Mojoman just combined their locations into a new spot off of Bumby in Colonial Plaza. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

When I first moved to Orlando, I went to a sandwich place downtown advertising Orlando's best Philly Cheese Steaks.  It is long gone and I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was tucked somewhere between Orange & Magnolia (E/W) and Jefferson & Pine (N/S) in what appeared to me to be an older semi-historic building.

I have thought about that place numerous times over the years- trying to recall what and where it was- and my brain is like a sieve. Best I remember it had exposed interior walls. It may have been a small free standing brick building. I think it was the corner of Magnolia and Church and I think I'm talking circa 1985ish.

Come on @spenser1058 lots of City and County admin folks went there for lunch in those days... surely you can remember this place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I have thought about that place numerous times over the years- trying to recall what and where it was- and my brain is like a sieve. Best I remember it had exposed interior walls. It may have been a small free standing brick building. I think it was the corner of Magnolia and Church and I think I'm talking circa 1985ish.

Come on @spenser1058 lots of City and County admin folks went there for lunch in those days... surely you can remember this place.

Y’all have got me on that one. The mid ‘80’s I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off between UCF and rowing, home, and part-time work in the tourist zone. Midday I did my stint in the Senate office and usually grabbed lunch on the way downtown at BEEFY King.

When those two years were over, it was splitting time between Tally, the Senate office and then the campaigns I worked with.

I get tired just thinking about those years. I thought four hours was a great night’s sleep in those days.

On my occasional free time when I ate downtown, I usually went to Valentyne’s next to the Beacham.

By the 1990’s when I settled down, I was on a health kick and brought my own lunch made with stuff from Publix with occasional forays to Boston Market and OG Express on Church St. Those were the days...

11 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I wasn't here that early, but it sounds a lot like how I remember it.  I believer this place eventually burned in a fire, if that helps Spense out.

This would have been late 90s, but I do remember it exactly as you described, although I know it wasn't as far down as Church.  It doesn't look the same in 2019, but I think it was somewhere near Shakai?  I honestly can't be sure though.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, HankStrong said:

The point was that people in Orlando don't seem to know what a Philly Cheese Steak is.  This was ground beef with some cubed onions & bell peppers, topped with nacho cheese pumped from a warmer.  It was served on a large hot dog bun.  As I saw it being made, I was like "Excuse me, I no longer want to try your Philly Cheese Steak.  Can I order something else?"  They were cool about it, but the manager insisted that's the way REAL ones are made.  I've been to Phully-dulph-e-uh many times.  I have several friends in Phully.  That's not how they do it in Phully!

It also wasn't Cheez-Whiz, which is acceptable to some, but not to me.  This was just a giant tub of nacho cheese from Sam's Club or something.

LaSpada's on Lee Rd is legit.  Try it!

• Thanks 1

I thought Publix used to be really good before they ditched their griddle.   It’s still ok but not my choice.  Firehouse is good in a Firehouse way but the best option I’ve found is Jersey Mike’s.  I’ll have to try the new place sometime.

Edit: Shoutout to Wawa.  Definitely good in a pinch.

Edited by Jernigan

Dubsdread’s Tap Room has been name one of the Top 25 Restaurants in the World Worth Traveling To”:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4870-tap-room-at-dubsdread-named-among-top-25-restaurants-in-the-world-worth-traveling-for

The College Park golf course is a wee bit of a drive but one hardly has to pack a lunch to get there, especially since you can have one of their award-winning burgers when you arrive...

From Scott J

Some new things on Church St.

The old Amura is now Kaizen Izakaya https://www.kaizenorlando.com/

The new crepe shop in 55W is ready. The article says no opening date, but the owner told me he plans on this Thursday. Knowing how it is to deal with the City I just shook my head and said, uh huh... https://bungalower.com/2019/09/23/new-crepe-shop-opening-in-55-west-on-church/

Announced today a new Café concept for the train depot (n'e Fergs). The Floridabilt will serve coffee, beer and operate a tour company. https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/23/exclusive-heres-whats-next-for-downtowns-historic.html

I guess also on Church, but technically in Market on Magnolia, Pete has shifted what was previously the sandwich spot to a bowl spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Some new things on Church St.

The old Amura is now Kaizen Izakaya https://www.kaizenorlando.com/

The new crepe shop in 55W is ready. The article says no opening date, but the owner told me he plans on this Thursday. Knowing how it is to deal with the City I just shook my head and said, uh huh... https://bungalower.com/2019/09/23/new-crepe-shop-opening-in-55-west-on-church/

Announced today a new Café concept for the train depot (n'e Fergs). The Floridabilt will serve coffee, beer and operate a tour company. https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/23/exclusive-heres-whats-next-for-downtowns-historic.html

I guess also on Church, but technically in Market on Magnolia, Pete has shifted what was previously the sandwich spot to a bowl spot.

Does this mean the Publix rumor for the train station was bogus? I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you! 

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting.  Really expected FBC to deliver a national brand like they did with Walgreens.   I guess this cafe will only take up a portion of what was Fergs?  

Scott J makes a visit to Kaizen Izakaya, different name but same owner and same Church St location as Amura:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/71-sushi/4882-kaizen-izakaya

The sushi is still top shelf and the ambience is still bottom of the barrel. Scott notes it’s going on two decades (albeit with three names) so the latter must not matter to patrons.

Wallet Hub ranks O-town #3 Best City for vegetarians and vegans:

https://bungalower.com/2019/10/01/orlando-places-third-again-in-vegetarian-friendly-vibes/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058