Chemmie

Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Motorworks is a fantastic brewery. From my hometown area, and they had a public tasting bar and backyard beergarden. Award winning beers with a large variety and seasonals as well that they served only in house. 

• Like 1

Is it time for the city to allow a new a new restaurant/establishment to lease the Relax Grill space?

I don't consider them an amenity and personally I've always been wary about eating there... This only confirms my suspicion about their cleanliness: https://www.thedailycity.com/post/lake-eola-restaurant-relax-grill

30 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Is it time for the city to allow a new a new restaurant/establishment to lease the Relax Grill space?

I don't consider them an amenity and personally I've always been wary about eating there... This only confirms my suspicion about their cleanliness: https://www.thedailycity.com/post/lake-eola-restaurant-relax-grill

I would not eat anything there. Having said that, the city probably needs to think about redoing the building to get anything serious in there.

I always wondered how you could try to run a restaurant in a space made for selling ice cream cones and Cokes.

This is probably way too small to ever register on Big Project Buddy’s radar. A call might be in order to Commissioner Patty. She’s been showing quite a bit of spunk lately.

The beer is fine and its a scenic location and a few years back they finished up the second bar.  I wouldn't be opposed to something better, but that's gonna take city investment.

I've probably been there like 2-3 times as an innocent/weary passerby with friends, but the last time I was there (which was years ago) I remember making a mental note that it would be my last time going there. Relax Grill has gotten too comfortable so it's time for something new to go into that space... someone with a vision to make it a real amenity/attraction to the park and not just a place you go to out of convenience. Does the city even allow other businesses to submit proposals when renewals come up??

@spenser1058 Take us on a trip down history lane... I've seen retro postcards that showed the original site used to be a mini-garden labyrinth, but do you recall what other businesses have operated out of the space prior to Relax Grill?

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

This is probably way too small to ever register on Big Project Buddy’s radar. A call might be in order to Commissioner Patty. She’s been showing quite a bit of spunk lately.

LOL was that subtle shade? :tw_tounge_wink:  Curious... have you ever considered running for commissioner? I know you're big into politics and live in the area.

There have been a couple of sit down spots prior to Relax Grill (most concentrated on beer and wine, though).

For most of the time I remember, it was just an ice cream stand. TBH, ever since WoB added outdoor seating and went to a bar-food type menu, I think Relax Grill is rowing upstream.

I think fast food with beer and wine makes more sense over there.

Back when Patty first ran, I was also toying with running for city council. No one knew back then if an out gay or lesbian candidate could succeed (Orlando is a very different place for LGBT+ folks now than it was in the ‘90’s), but all the research we did indicated that a lesbian would be more acceptable to older voters than a gay male.

(That appears to have been correct as a gay male has yet to ascend - even a well-connected FFO was unable to bestRobert Stuart over in College Park).

At the time, Patty was saying she only planned to stay a couple of terms. She also had some personal challenges (which she has since overcome, I’m proud to say) that led us to believe that, even if she could win, she wouldn’t last.

Instead, she stayed and still has a loyal base of support that would be hard to get past. Although I’d like to see more activism on the council, especially since we seem to have a mayor-for-life now, the opportunity seems to not be there in the district.

So, perhaps, as WKIS talk show host Gene Burns used to say when asked to run, “I’d rather be the gadfly on the horse’s behind than the horse’s behind.” For now, the politician in the family shall remain Cousin Rusty, Mayor of Ocoee.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There have been a couple of sit down spots prior to Relax Grill (most concentrated on beer and wine, though).

For most of the time I remember, it was just an ice cream stand. TBH, ever since WoB added outdoor seating and went to a bar-food type menu, I think Relax Grill is rowing upstream.

Back when Patty first ran, I was also toying with running for city council. No one knew back then if an out gay or lesbian candidate could succeed (Orlando is a very different place for LGBT+ folks now than it was in the ‘90’s), but all the research we did indicated that a lesbian would be more acceptable to older voters than a gay male.

(That appears to have been correct as a gay male has yet to ascend - even a well-connected FFO was unable to bestRobert Stuart over in College Park).

At the time, Patty was saying she only planned to stay a couple of terms. She also had some personal challenges (which she has since overcome, I’m proud to say) that led us to believe that, even if she could win, she wouldn’t last.

Instead, she stayed and still has a loyal base of support that would be hard to get past. Although I’d like to see more activism on the council, especially since we seem to have a mayor-for-life now, the opportunity seems to not be there in the district.

So, perhaps, as WKIS talk show host Gene Burns used to say when asked to run, “I’d rather be the gadfly on the horse’s behind than the horse’s behind.” For now, the politician in the family shall remain Cousin Rusty, Mayor of Ocoee.

You would be great, but maybe you have a higher calling...

Captain D's Offers Franchise Opportunities In Central Florida

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/captain-ds-offers-franchise-opportunities-in-central-florida/ar-AAGVdaL?ocid=spartanntp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

You would be great, but maybe you have a higher calling...

Captain D's Offers Franchise Opportunities In Central Florida

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/captain-ds-offers-franchise-opportunities-in-central-florida/ar-AAGVdaL?ocid=spartanntp

JFW, are we ready to give it a go!?!

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yeah, when living at 55 West I briefly looked into the District 5 seat, since because of silly boundaries, the downtown high rises are part of the Parramore district which leads to an odd council representative since the two constituencies have vastly divergent priorities. Turnout is so low that you could practically win the seat solely by turning out the apartments and condo dwellers, but it'd be a very fine line to walk based on the perception.

Since moving to Wadeview, I'm now firmly in Patty's district and attempting a run would be a fool's errand.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:00 AM, spenser1058 said:

Yes, I vividly recall the social climate towards homosexuals in the 90's... Pat Robertson's comments about the gay pride flags on utility poles in Downtown Orlando are still burned into my memory. My family once backed out of buying a home after a Realtor "disclosed" that it was previously inhabited by gay men. A lot has changed since then and I'd hope our city could tolerate more than one "token minority" running for city council by now.

Did the data specify why a lesbian would be more acceptable than a gay male? Even if a gay male were to run, there is a way of running respectfully to Patty's legacy while highlighting key issues that make one's platform unique. Bernie Sanders & Elizabeth Warren seem to honor the "do not disparage" pact harmoniously thus far, and Buttigieg seems to run as a politician who happens to be gay and not a "gay politician". I think most people lean towards policies over identity politics (except in the face of egregious injustice). Yes, I'm content with Buddy (and Patty)... but are there any serious contenders who could deliver more?

This replaces Beth’s.  I think it may even be open now but am not sure.  It’s been pretty under the radar 

E814D7D9-3E11-4AC1-9698-71ABDCF38F89.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

This replaces Beth’s.  I think it may even be open now but am not sure.  It’s been pretty under the radar 

Downtown Beth's? Or SoDo-ish Beth's?

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Is the name of the place Loading Zone? And that is their logo? Oy vey.

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

If this isn't a gay bar, I'm gonna be pissed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, smileguy said:

If this isn't a gay bar, I'm gonna be pissed.

I was reminded of the infamous Loading Dock just south of OBT and I4 which used to keep the old MBI busy.

When I first moved to Orlando, I went to a sandwich place downtown advertising Orlando's best Philly Cheese Steaks.  It is long gone and I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was tucked somewhere between Orange & Magnolia (E/W) and Jefferson & Pine (N/S) in what appeared to me to be an older semi-historic building.

The point was that people in Orlando don't seem to know what a Philly Cheese Steak is.  This was ground beef with some cubed onions & bell peppers, topped with nacho cheese pumped from a warmer.  It was served on a large hot dog bun.  As I saw it being made, I was like "Excuse me, I no longer want to try your Philly Cheese Steak.  Can I order something else?"  They were cool about it, but the manager insisted that's the way REAL ones are made.  I've been to Phully-dulph-e-uh many times.  I have several friends in Phully.  That's not how they do it in Phully!

It also wasn't Cheez-Whiz, which is acceptable to some, but not to me.  This was just a giant tub of nacho cheese from Sam's Club or something.

District Dive from the owner of Southern Nights and Southern Craft opens tonight. It was meant to open right before Dorian - but ya know...

More of a "dive bar" atmosphere - as the name suggests as opposed to a club. 

I wish someone would buy the dump of a property across the street and just make that a little gay-borhood. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

District Dive from the owner of Southern Nights and Southern Craft opens tonight. It was meant to open right before Dorian - but ya know...

More of a "dive bar" atmosphere - as the name suggests as opposed to a club. 

I wish someone would buy the dump of a property across the street and just make that a little gay-borhood. 

Mojoman just combined their locations into a new spot off of Bumby in Colonial Plaza. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

When I first moved to Orlando, I went to a sandwich place downtown advertising Orlando's best Philly Cheese Steaks.  It is long gone and I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was tucked somewhere between Orange & Magnolia (E/W) and Jefferson & Pine (N/S) in what appeared to me to be an older semi-historic building.

I have thought about that place numerous times over the years- trying to recall what and where it was- and my brain is like a sieve. Best I remember it had exposed interior walls. It may have been a small free standing brick building. I think it was the corner of Magnolia and Church and I think I'm talking circa 1985ish.

Come on @spenser1058 lots of City and County admin folks went there for lunch in those days... surely you can remember this place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I have thought about that place numerous times over the years- trying to recall what and where it was- and my brain is like a sieve. Best I remember it had exposed interior walls. It may have been a small free standing brick building. I think it was the corner of Magnolia and Church and I think I'm talking circa 1985ish.

Come on @spenser1058 lots of City and County admin folks went there for lunch in those days... surely you can remember this place.

Y’all have got me on that one. The mid ‘80’s I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off between UCF and rowing, home, and part-time work in the tourist zone. Midday I did my stint in the Senate office and usually grabbed lunch on the way downtown at BEEFY King.

When those two years were over, it was splitting time between Tally, the Senate office and then the campaigns I worked with.

I get tired just thinking about those years. I thought four hours was a great night’s sleep in those days.

On my occasional free time when I ate downtown, I usually went to Valentyne’s next to the Beacham.

By the 1990’s when I settled down, I was on a health kick and brought my own lunch made with stuff from Publix with occasional forays to Boston Market and OG Express on Church St. Those were the days...

11 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I wasn't here that early, but it sounds a lot like how I remember it.  I believer this place eventually burned in a fire, if that helps Spense out.

This would have been late 90s, but I do remember it exactly as you described, although I know it wasn't as far down as Church.  It doesn't look the same in 2019, but I think it was somewhere near Shakai?  I honestly can't be sure though.