Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

5 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Folks behind Oudum leased the Tre Bambine space and plan to do a neighborhood bar and grill concept. Really curious what that means while working around the WOB exclusivities. I don't have much faith in this at all especially with how trash Coco is.

Thanks for the update. I know there is a relationship between Odum and CoCo, but there also seems to be some sort of line. My understanding is the Odum group has some investment in Coco, but CoCo is not invested in Odum. Do you know if that is correct? Either way, CoCo turned downhill in a hurry. I think they started off with a good idea, but then realized to sell anything in their location they had to be a bro bar with cheap food. I've never tried Odum, but have heard decent things about it.

What is the exclusivity of WOB? Spice and Tre Bambine had full liquor.

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Thanks for the update. I know there is a relationship between Odum and CoCo, but there also seems to be some sort of line. My understanding is the Odum group has some investment in Coco, but CoCo is not invested in Odum. Do you know if that is correct? Either way, CoCo turned downhill in a hurry. I think they started off with a good idea, but then realized to sell anything in their location they had to be a bro bar with cheap food. I've never tried Odum, but have heard decent things about it.

What is the exclusivity of WOB? Spice and Tre Bambine had full liquor.

Same owners. I believe they funded a chef's idea for the space.

I would imagine WOB has rights to the burgers/beer thing they do. Not sure what specific items are in their lease but anything too close to them would be shut down real quick by WOB.

Hopefully they kill it and bring people back to this area but I have little faith.

Ate at Loading Zone (former Beth’s on Washington) last week. While I have no idea how well their cheesesteaks compare to a genuine Philly cheesesteak, I can say it was pretty good and will be back. They had a nice variety of options and saw several things I’d like to try on future visits.

While the layout is pretty much the same as Beth’s, they did a good job on the makeover so it feels like its own place. Their employees were really friendly and the operations were quite smooth considering how long they’ve been open.

• Thanks 1

The Rusty Spoon is closed. As was reported the original owners (Chef Blake and her husband) sold the business a couple month back. The new owner has apparently been lining up her ducks to do a quick turnaround interior refresh. She closed the doors to Rusty Spoon on Friday and will reopen next Friday (the 18th) rebranded under the name Elize- which is also the name of her restaurant in the Netherlands. I walked by today and crews were hard at work to meet the one week turnaround. If you've ever done a project like this you have a real appreciation for how tight that schedule is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RudyB said:

Anyone been? Love Turkish food. The way he describes everything. Faiyaz Kara is the best:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/take-heed-kebab-lovers-now-theres-great-turkish-fare-in-orlando-24-hours-a-day/Content?oid=26055711

I haven't, but the best dive Turkish place in town is Cappadocia over in drugtown section of 436 between the 408 & 50.  It's good stuff, but be careful about your parking.  It's not always safe over there.

26 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I haven't, but the best dive Turkish place in town is Cappadocia over in drugtown section of 436 between the 408 & 50.  It's good stuff, but be careful about your parking.  It's not always safe over there.

I went and thought it was ok, but you're right about the dive part!

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

I got the scoop tonight from the brothers that just took over and new concepting the old midnight blue/graffiti. Should be awesome. More details to come.

oooh do tell! is that in thornton park?

The Steak-n-Shake's on E. Colonial and Mills have closed.

I'm surprised it took this long.

I stopped going years ago because of the ridiculous wait times, whether dine-in or drive-thru. And when you chose to  eat-in, having to tip after waiting for half an hour to be handed a soggy hamburger and fires just kind of added insult to injury.

Unfortunate that the staff will lose their jobs, but IMO good riddance to a sub-par dining experience.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

As previously mentioned, Dexter's Thorton Park is no more.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4901-dexter-s-of-thornton-park-is-closed

OTOH, I tried the soft open of the New Standard- the Dexter's replacement in WP and the food is MUCH better than anything that has come out of Dexter's. They have some kinks to work out in other portions of the operations, but that is why you do a soft open.

And for any one interested is appears Fazzoli's is coming back to the area soon. Locations TBA.

• Like 1

So some out of towners are going to open in the same space a whole new concept in a few days? That will be a disaster. At minimum they would need a few weeks to update the look and hire/train new staff. Still don't get kicking people out in the middle of service. Not that I go to Graffiti ever anymore but this will cement that from ever happening again.

Sad about Steak N Shake. Service was always horrible but sometimes I want to eat terrible for me food for very cheap.

But pumped about Fazolis. I stopped there in Pensacola on the way back from NOLA a few years ago and was very happy with the decision.

9 hours ago, AmIReal said:

As previously mentioned, Dexter's Thorton Park is no more.

Is this the one that kicked people out mid-meal?  What on EARTH was that about?

9 hours ago, AmIReal said:

And for any one interested is appears Fazzoli's is coming back to the area soon. Locations TBA.

Call me pleased.