Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Mark B has some info on the new food hall going into the Bumby Arcade. Lincoln says they have 50% letters of commitment already out of the 15 food, 3 bar, 1 full serve restaurants planned. No word on who those are. Lots of other details here- https://www.thedailycity.com/post/orlando-food-hall-bumby

I gotta say, this sounds pretty cool. Here's hoping they can pull it off!

Speaking of this development, Hamburger Mary's posted this on their Facebook page earlier this week. Provides a few more details into what the dispute is, and also notes the City has been engaged in some capacity.

Capture.JPG

Edited by orlandoguy
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, steve_o said:

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere but had the chance to try the newly opened "Cavo's" (original Graffiti) on Washington.  Have to say their limited menu was fantastic and I'd definitely go back.  Had a chicken cutlet sandwich and gravy fries.  Simple but nailed it.  Had I not been at a steakhouse the night before, I would have gone for one of their 3 steak sandwiches that looked amazing.  Place was packed with high energy.  Solid addition that  will do well in TP (which needs it - BAD).  

Good to hear. I'll get there this week. I hope the limited menu is just during their roll out and they intend to expand it.

@HankStrong won’t be impressed but Scott J liked Kathi Rolls, a quick service Indian restaurant on Curry Ford Rd. just west of Conway Rd.

It looked really good so I’ll have to wander over there and try it if I can ignore the siren song of Krystal just down the street (they’re having a sale with 10 Krystals for $6 - oooh).

Scott also liked the service. That’s a huge bugaboo for him so expect it to be friendly and efficient.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/59-indian/5052-kathi-rolls

• Like 1

Just now, bqknight said:

Osphere (formerly Tre Bambine, Spice) was holding interviews today. 

I wondered how that was going as I drove by this morning and still saw the Tre Bambine sign. At least Dexter’s has covered their sign up with sometimes pithy sayings as they do whatever they’re doing in there.

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@HankStrong won’t be impressed but Scott J liked Kathi Rolls, a quick service Indian restaurant on Curry Ford Rd. just west of Conway Rd.

It looked really good so I’ll have to wander over there and try it if I can ignore the siren song of Krystal just down the street (they’re having a sale with 10 Krystals for $6 - oooh).

Scott also liked the service. That’s a huge bugaboo for him so expect it to be friendly and efficient.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/59-indian/5052-kathi-rolls

I like Kathi Rolls because I've been there myself.

• Haha 1

My whole point is that I don't let Scott Joseph determine my food likes without me trying them.  It's a great starting point to have someone recommend or review places, but I've been to plenty of places that I hate/dislike/don't love but my friends love.

I don't say "I haven't been to Spense's Spaghetti Shack.  But it is great because Scott Joseph likes it."

3 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

My whole point is that I don't let Scott Joseph determine my food likes without me trying them.  It's a great starting point to have someone recommend or review places, but I've been to plenty of places that I hate/dislike/don't love but my friends love.

I can understand how someone could develop enough trust in the reviews and recommendations of a guy like SJ if he has a long track record of being both fair and accurate, and if that person had tried enough of the restaurants SJ reviewed and agreed with him every or nearly every time.

4 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I don't say "I haven't been to Spense's Spaghetti Shack.  But it is great because Scott Joseph likes it."

Well now you're obviously just fishing for an invite to come over to Spense's place for a free spaghetti dinner.  :P

All I can say to that is, if he invites you then he should invite everyone!!!! :D

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I can understand how someone could develop enough trust in the reviews and recommendations of a guy like SJ if he has a long track record of being both fair and accurate, and if that person had tried enough of the restaurants SJ reviewed and agreed with him every or nearly every time.

Well now you're obviously just fishing for an invite to come over to Spense's place for a free spaghetti dinner.  :P

All I can say to that is, if he invites you then he should invite everyone!!!! :D

I'll invite Scott Joseph, too!

I kid about it but Scott was the dining critic for the Sentinel for decades. While some don’t enjoy his sense of humor, I think his puns and occasional snark are spot on.

Some folks don’t like that he can get sort of highbrow with his reviews of upscale restaurants but it seems appropriate to me.

In addition to his Sunday reviews in the Sentinel, he also did a Friday “Chow Hound” column which was more fun as he stuck to everyday places.

What Scott does not accept at all is poor service. Sad to say, I agree with him that service in most Orlando restaurants can be atrocious. Too often, the chefs that start a new place all but ignore the front of the house and it shows.

Finally, I’ve gotten to attend a number of social occasions over the years with him and I’ve gotten to know him. Sometimes, his  columns have a formality one overlooks once you meet him in person. I still think he’s our best local critic.

I post his columns when they interest me ehether I’ve gone or not in the same way I post stuff from the Sentinel or Bungalower or any of the other places I check out. Sometimes it’s just filler to keep the forum going. Please feel free to ignore anything that mentions his name if you find his stuff unappealing.

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So then you're planning to have him over for dinner on a regular basis? 

If he eats like I do, that could get expensive!!! :o

He actually eats relatively little (especially for a food critic). He’s my age but still quite trim.

He tends to eat small amounts and takes home leftovers.

Thank goodness I buy my staples at Target now. Prices keep going up at Publix and I’d have a heck of a time filling you up!

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

He actually eats relatively little (especially for a food critic). He’s my age but still quite trim.

He tends to eat small amounts and takes home leftovers.

Thank goodness I buy my staples at Target now. Prices keep going up at Publix and I’d have a heck of a time filling you up!

I was talking about Hank.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

My issue with Scott J is that he tends to care/complain about the oddest things.  It just comes off as cliche critic to a large degree.  Maybe the humor just doesn't translate via text, but well, that's his job

Oh, there’s no doubt he’s cantankerous, but that just makes him more of a character to me. I like eccentric types.

Since to the best of my recollection, the only restaurants I've eaten in over the past few decades have been the kind where you stand at a counter, give your order to a cashier, then carry it back to your table on a plastic tray, I have no opinion of SJ either way because I've never had occasion to rate the accuracy of his work.