Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

5 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

DOA

Oh no... what happened?? Would've been nice to add another chain downtown.

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando Magazine checks out some of the best African-American owned restaurants and food trucks in the region.

Of course, I’m still partial to Nikki’s Place myself. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Although, I may have to head up to Shantell’s in Sanford for some of what sounds like amazing fried chicken.

https://www.orlandomagazine.com/orlandos-best-black-owned-restaurants/

Trying to get back to my vegetarian roots so I've been meaning to try DaJen Eats over in Eatonville after someone recommended it. Her restaurant gets consistent high scores on various platforms, currently 4.8/5 with over 500 reviews on google.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Orlando Magazine checks out some of the best African-American owned restaurants and food trucks in the region.

Of course, I’m still partial to Nikki’s Place myself. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Although, I may have to head up to Shantell’s in Sanford for some of what sounds like amazing fried chicken.

https://www.orlandomagazine.com/orlandos-best-black-owned-restaurants/

How are you going to get there?

Sounds like a long walk.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

How are you going to get there?

Sounds like a long walk.

Ride my bike, of course. Or there’s always Lynx. There’s a link that goes mostly right up US 17-92. Wanna come along? Maybe we can get @dcluley98 and @Jolly Roger's Crackersto ride with us!

Edited by spenser1058

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah. <_< :rolleyes: 

I ride to NSB and Sanford’s only a little more than half the way. C’mon @JFW657, embrace the exercise!

I know you like the ‘50’s but I first started riding up that way back in the 1970’s. In fact, my first long ride was up that way to visit my first ex in Jacksonville in 1979, the year “Breaking Away” came out. 

I was so inspired by the movie, in fact, I gave up my car and rode to work from my parents’ house off Good Homes Rd to the Magic Kingdom and to class at VCC  west campus. Plus my exercise class at the Y on Mills. 

Maybe if you check out the movie, you’ll be inspired too!

Edited by spenser1058

This is the takeout review from Scott J I’ve been waiting for. To say the Ravenous Pig is “consistent” sounds like faint praise.

Instead , it’s exactly the opposite. Not only have the Petrakis’ achieved consistently wonderful food at The Pig but the service is also consistently awesome. Sadly, in Orlando, the service capital of the world, that’s frequently not the case. I’ve never had a bad meal or anything less than great service at The Pig.

So, it comes as no surprise that when it comes to takeout during COVID, they also hit it out of Rollins’ nearby baseball park. 

The Pig carries on in fine style!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5321-takeout-from-ravenous-pig

• Like 1

"Yesterday, Lion’s Pride Orlando, located downtown on Church St, announced they would stay closed permanently. Known for their support of Orlando’s soccer scene, including Orlando City SC and Pride, the owners state they would be rethinking their concept. I’m bummed, as I enjoyed the food there."

https://citysurfingorlando.com/2020/08/orlando-area-dining-news-round-up-for-august-7-2020-pig-floyds-framework-craft-coffee-bar-the-new-standard-paddlefish-eola-general-and-more-orlandorestaurants-orlandofoodies/

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

This is the takeout review from Scott J I’ve been waiting for. To say the Ravenous Pig is “consistent” sounds like faint praise.

Instead , it’s exactly the opposite. Not only have the Petrakis’ achieved consistently wonderful food at The Pig but the service is also consistently awesome. Sadly, in Orlando, the service capital of the world, that’s frequently not the case. I’ve never had a bad meal or anything less than great service at The Pig.

So, it comes as no surprise that when it comes to takeout during COVID, they also hit it out of Rollins’ nearby baseball park. 

The Pig carries on in fine style!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5321-takeout-from-ravenous-pig

After reading the review and looking at the take out menu, it sounds like a great place to go if one is impressed by pretentious, over priced, Winter Park "food-snob" fare.  

Plus, by the time you walk or ride your bike all the way back to downtown Orlando carrying that take-out bag, it must be cold and probably shaken up to the point that it's no longer recognizable.... :lol: 

Is there a decent burger joint near there to get some real food at? :P 

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

After reading the review and looking at the take out menu, it sounds like a great place to go if one is impressed by pretentious, over priced, Winter Park "food-snob" fare.  

Plus, by the time you walk or ride your bike all the way back to downtown Orlando carrying that take-out bag, it must be cold and probably shaken up to the point that it's no longer recognizable.... :lol: 

I’ll just take SunRail and walk over, then sit on a bench watching the Rollins students go by (if they get to come back to school).

That reminds me of the folks who always complained about no place to park for the WP Art Festival. It must be awful to be so tied to your car for everything. 

It didn’t take long to realize when we first started going in high school that we either should take the bus or ride our bikes. One year, we even rode Amtrak from downtown and the train folks thought we were crazy. Then again, we were teenagers and it was expected.

Edited by spenser1058

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ll just take SunRail and walk over, then sit on a bench watching the Rollins students go by (if they get to come back to school).

So if you add the price of a r/t Sunrail ticket to the $40 price of a bag of take out food, that comes to somewhere north of 50 bucks for lunch.

And all you get is a bag of food that will leave you hungry again after an hour or two.

I dunno spenser.

Doesn't sound like a great plan to me. 

How far is it from there to the Taco Bell on 17-92, btw?

Maybe Popeye's or BK, even.

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

So if you add the price of a r/t Sunrail ticket to the $40 price of a bag of take out food, that comes to somewhere north of 50 bucks for lunch.

And all you get is a bag of food that will leave you hungry again after an hour or two.

I dunno spenser.

Doesn't sound like a great plan to me. 

How far is it from there to the Taco Bell on 17-92, btw?

Maybe Popeye's or BK, even.

I admit - I really wouldn’t want your life if it’s that constrained. I’m far from wealthy but I can treat myself every now and again.

Of course, one way to do that is by not having to pay for a car, gas, insurance, repairs. It’s a great deal for GM but really not so much for those of us in the 99%.

Just now, spenser1058 said:

I admit - I really wouldn’t want your life if it’s that constrained. I’m far from wealthy but I can treat myself every now and again.

Of course, one way to do that is by not having to pay for a car, gas, insurance, repairs. It’s a great deal for GM but really not so much for those of us in the 99%.

I wouldn't want the life of anyone who constantly feels the need to prove things to themself either.

Paying $40 for a bag of fancy-shmancy Winter Park snob food or spending $12 - $16 just to get to and from Winter Park, are examples of reasons why some people never seem to get ahead financially.

But to each their own, as they say. 

Just now, JFW657 said:

I wouldn't want the life of anyone who constantly feels the need to prove things to themself either.

Paying $40 for a bag of fancy-shmancy Winter Park snob food or spending $12 - $16 just to get to and from Winter Park, are examples of reasons why some people never seem to get ahead financially.

But to each their own, as they say. 

Ummmm, the base cost of a ticket on SunRail is $2 each way. Lunch at The Pig is not as cheap as a Krystal but it’s also not $40. 

36 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I recognize some people never develop an interest or taste for food outside their comfort range. OTOH, the Pig is far from pretentious and to some people (like me) worth every penny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

From this pic, it looks like $40 is their cheapest price...

ravpigtogo_sack.jpeg

I believe those are their specials for two.

In any event, I’ve eaten lunch at The Pig more than once and not spent that much; granted, it’s usually for lunch and  I don’t go, ummmm, whole hog, either. 

Edited by spenser1058

3 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I recognize some people never develop an interest or taste for food outside their comfort range. OTOH, the Pig is far from pretentious and to some people (like me) worth every penny.

If it's in Winter Park, it's pretentious. ;) :D <--- (note smileys indicating nature of response)

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If they were closer to downtown WP, they probably would be....  

You mean like the 7-Eleven on Park Ave? I mean, painting it pink was a bit much but other than that, it was like every other sevvie (if a bit cramped). There was also a Sabarro on Park and a Beefy King that were pretty standard.

And, of course, the Olive Garden on the Ave was the height of pretentiousness!

Edited by spenser1058

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You mean like the 7-Eleven on Park Ave? I mean, painting it pink was a bit much but other than that, it was like every other sevvie (if a bit cramped). There was also a Sabarro on Park and a Beefy King that were pretty standard.

And, of course, the Olive Garden on the Ave was the height of pretentiousness!

All gone now because they weren't pretentious enough, I'll bet.

The 7 Eleven is pretentious for a 7 Eleven. 

Edited by JFW657

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

All gone now because they weren't pretentious enough, I'll bet.

The 7 Eleven is pretentious for a 7 Eleven. 

Actually, the OG went because they didn’t have enough space and it got too crowded. When a building became available on 17-92 they went for it.

Darden had a fascination with the Ave for a bit. They also did The Good Earth and a test, The Fishery, there (which I worked at briefly but they were open for breakfast and I had a conflict with rowing practice at UCF).

My favorite spot was Two Flights Up (on the top floor of what’s now the Pottery Barn). Their prices were about the same as they would have been at a Bennigan’s of the time.

Edited by spenser1058