Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

Future news- looks like mad scientists at Orlando Meats will relocate from Virginia/ Mills to Ravaudage before the end of the year into a much larger space. I'll go out on a limb and speculate Santiago's will look to expand.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

huge loss and hope they dont do that. they are sadly never busy enough to need more space and the current spots the perfect location for their concept. next to an ale house doesnt seem as good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

huge loss and hope they dont do that. they are sadly never busy enough to need more space and the current spots the perfect location for their concept. next to an ale house doesnt seem as good.

More speculation here, but I suspect Santiago's wanted their space and the landlord didn't renew...

Re: moving to a much larger space, I agree, but it may let them bring all their side projects (Recess Pizza, Night Shovel, etc.) under one roof. I wonder if they will move to full service or still do counter serve. Also, full bar...?

23 hours ago, sethM said:

Tried Russell’s last night for happy hour, just a couple apps and drinks. They’ve done a fantastic job with the space, the wall by the lake is all windows and provides an incredible sunset view overlooking the lake (and i4). 

While the restaurant itself feels very American, the menu feels very French. The selections are light and delicate with an emphasis on presentation, just like if you were at a nice restaurant in Paris. Overall I’d recommend it if you enjoy that type of thing and wouldn’t recommend it if you’re looking for comfort food. 

The Chef is French and, you're right, his menu is French influenced, but the GM said they were not stressing the French theme as they did not want to be deemed a French restaurant.

Funny note, the cheeseburger is a "Royale with cheese"...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The Chef is French and, you're right, his menu is French influenced, but the GM said they were not stressing the French theme as they did not want to be deemed a French restaurant.

Funny note, the cheeseburger is a "Royale with cheese"...

They've definitely nailed that concept. it's a French restaurant trying it's best to be American. I don't mean that in a bad way at all as the food is delicious. 

On 10/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, AmIReal said:

More speculation here, but I suspect Santiago's wanted their space and the landlord didn't renew...

Re: moving to a much larger space, I agree, but it may let them bring all their side projects (Recess Pizza, Night Shovel, etc.) under one roof. I wonder if they will move to full service or still do counter serve. Also, full bar...?

Santiago's putting ramen spot there.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:38 PM, AmIReal said:

We have all heard/ read about the plight of the restaurant and bar industry during the pandemic. The last figure I saw was roughly 20% of F&B businesses would close this year. In all of the local neighborhoods, downtown seems to be the hardest hit, losing Ceviche', Elize, Wahlburger and others all within a few hundred yards of each other.

So I was pleasantly surprised in seeing some local press indicating there are a number of new ventures recently opened or soon to be open (though only a few in the CBD).

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, the owners of Seito, Osprey and Reyes are opening the Monroe in CV and the chef is Josh Oakley- founder of Smiling Bison and recently of 1921. He is a very welcome re-addition to our food scene. I scoped out the new place the other day and they have apparently been working on it for a bit. I'd predict a Spring open although the press says Fall.

Russell's on Ivanhoe opened and is quite good. Sort of Hillstone with a slight Euro flair. A little pricey, but for the quality level worth it. This location is damned, so I wish them a ton of luck. Try the clams in white beans... yum.

Persimmon Hollow in the old EO Inn/ Panera spot- great beers and surprisingly good food. If you live in South Eola or the Heights you really should try it. And Motorworks in the old Mini dealership- which sorry to say I haven't tried yet, but based on my experience at the  Bradenton location it will be great.

Papa Llama is in soft open. I've done their pop ups and was always impressed, so I expect the brick and mortar location will be the same.

Aardvark- where you used to head prior to keg parties- is now a very tasty gastro-pub. It doesn't really seem priced to go along with the ambiance, but I will say the food is unexpectedly well done.

If you like hot chicken get to Barley and Vine where Chicken Fire has set up his truck. Best Nashville hot in town (well, maybe tie between this and Swine and Sons).

Kyoto Sushi and Grill opened in the old Baha Burrito location in Bumby plaza.

Hamburger Mary's is taking over Pepe's Cantina. Not sure how this impacts their relations with the landlord.

Eden the Lounge, Neon Beach and Beau Monde- primarily drinking establishments- in downtown.

Future news- looks like mad scientists at Orlando Meats will relocate from Virginia/ Mills to Ravaudage before the end of the year into a much larger space. I'll go out on a limb and speculate Santiago's will look to expand.

A few others are mentioned in the links-

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/orlando-restaurant-openings-what-the-chuck-russells-on-lake-ivanhoe-da-sun-ramen-and-14-more/Content?oid=27990077&utm_source=widget&utm_medium=articleblog&utm_campaign=endofarticle&utm_content=LatestInCategory

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/papa-llama-is-open-on-curry-ford-chicken-fire-is-in-the-milk-district-plus-eight-more-new-hotspots/Content?oid=28029024

https://citysurfingorlando.com/2020/09/orlando-area-dining-news-round-up-for-september-28-2020-pie-fection-git-n-messy-bbq-papa-llama-chicken-fire-and-more-orlandorestaurants-orlandofoodies/

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/the-aardvark-isnt-just-a-bottle-shop-it-might-be-the-best-and-truest-gastropub-in-orlando/Content?oid=27990073&utm_source=widget&utm_medium=articleblog&utm_campaign=endofarticle&utm_content=RecentByTag

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/09/30/renowned-central-florida-chef-josh-oakley-leaving-1921-mount-dora-for-the-monroe

what happened to Pepes in DT? 

9 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

what happened to Pepes in DT?

The article said Mary's took over operation, but did not say it was replaced. I assume Pepe is till there... for now.

22 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Santiago's putting ramen spot there.

Very interesting. I'm not sure they can compete with Domu up the road, but I hope so.  Domu bugs the hell out of me- we're driving by on a rainy night and notice no one is there so we stop in for dinner. Walk in, 2 tables are occupied, hostess says no seating at the bar or chef's bar (understandable right now) and it will be a 30 minute wait. Now I know some places like to do this to drive bar business, but their bar is closed. And seriously, staff is standing around doing nothing. This same thing has happened all 3 times I've gone to Domu so I have sworn off the pace. /rant

I hope Santiago can pull it off (don't get me started on why I on all my issues with them, though)... grrr

A bad Boomer moment: 185 Ruby Tuesdays are closing for good.

No word on local closures (assuming we still have some - the last RT I went to was OFS a couple of decades back although my favorite was a big old converted house in Nashville...)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/10/07/ruby-tuesday-closing-185-restaurants-chapter-11-bankruptcy/5907136002/

From USA Today

Edited by spenser1058

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Has the pandemic got you down? Nikki’s Place has the comfort food to soothe your soul, just like it has for all these years:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/nikkis-place-in-parramore-plates-a-ladleful-of-history-with-their-meat-and-threes/Content?oid=28069076

From Orlando Weekly

A friend took me there once... I couldn't finish anything on my plate. Just not my kind of food at all. I was a little embarrassed that I might be coming off as rude, but the staff were so kind and even offered to refund my meal. I wasn't looking for my meal to be comped, but they insisted.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, nite owℓ said:

A friend took me there once... I couldn't finish anything on my plate. Just not my kind of food at all. I was a little embarrassed that I might be coming off as rude, but the staff were so kind and even offered to refund my meal. I wasn't looking for my meal to be comped, but they insisted.

The food is super rich and overly salted, but it certainly brings back memories form my childhood- and I'd still fight you for the oxtail.

Even if you don't like the food you gotta love the people and the story... https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-leaning-in-blm-and-before-two-generations-black-owned-orlando-20201013-2f4d67wxwjgtvhcp56w6kfmjxi-story.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The food is super rich and overly salted, but it certainly brings back memories form my childhood- and I'd still fight you for the oxtail.

Even if you don't like the food you gotta love the people and the story... https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-leaning-in-blm-and-before-two-generations-black-owned-orlando-20201013-2f4d67wxwjgtvhcp56w6kfmjxi-story.html

Nuh-uh - I'd forfeit that fight before it even started :tw_joy:

But yes their story is admirable. This quote was nothing but the truth: “Just this morning, they said on CNN that we’re ‘living through two crises right now, economic and COVID.’ Nothing about Black Lives Matter. Nothing about a civil rights crisis,” Inez says. “They don’t see it because they don’t live it. I live it. Every day.”

Interesting to come across a Ronnie's connection. Leckert's daughter once told me it seemed like at least once a week someone brings up the restaurant in passing conversation. Even she seemed in awe/bewildered by the impact of her father's restaurant.

Edited by nite owℓ

So if your jonesing for a lot of bourbon and a little Jack at 8 AM on a Tuesday (or any morning) before court (or your construction job, or class, or surgery, etc) then Wally's is kicking it back to old school. 

The new team say they are going to be more like the old, old team... https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/10/16/orlando-dive-bar-institution-wallys-mills-avenue-liquors-to-reopen-this-weekend

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

OBJ reports the 4Rivers at Orlando City Hall will not be renewing its lease.

Will the last restaurant to leave downtown please let Thomas Chatmon know so he can turn out the lights?

It was busy pre-pandemic but I’m sure foot traffic is pretty much zero over there now. The few times I have been back to the office, there’s some people downtown but it’s a shell of itself.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bqknight said:

It was busy pre-pandemic but I’m sure foot traffic is pretty much zero over there now. The few times I have been back to the office, there’s some people downtown but it’s a shell of itself.

I agree. It was always busy when I was there but I am sure its a ghost town now.