Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The real tragedy was, had Larry not gotten into a snit (he was getting older and supposedly he was ticked that Cousins wasn’t going to let him keep the monopoly on food service he had at Colonial Plaza) and kept it going, his granddaughter or someone could have taken it a couple of decades later, given it a serious hipster vibe and made it the hit of the Milk District@smileguy could have done a power lunch every day at the same window banquette Mayor Bill used to sit at!). The thing about Ronnie’s (unlike Wolfie’s, which it was a blatant rip-off of from South Florida) was that Larry kept it as pristine and spotless in 1995 as it was in 1956. It was amazing.

A "serious hipster vibe"????  :huh:

Nooooooooooo!!!!!  :stop:

I was talking about faithfully recreating a beloved local institution, and making it as close as possible to the way it was, along with everything that gave it the charm people remember it for, not  creating yet another pretentious, fu-fu hipster magnet.

As fond as you seem to have been of the place, I would think that you if anyone, would expect nothing less.  

Serious hipster vibe, indeed.....  <_<

10 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

A "serious hipster vibe"????  :huh:

Nooooooooooo!!!!!  :stop:

I was talking about faithfully recreating a beloved local institution, and making it as close as possible to the way it was, along with everything that gave it the charm people remember it for, not  creating yet another pretentious, fu-fu hipster magnet.

As fond as you seem to have been of the place, I would think that you if anyone, would expect nothing less.  

Serious hipster vibe, indeed.....  <_<

I’m not sure if it would work without changes nowadays. Can you imagine the folks beotching on Yelp about Ronnie’s Rules?

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m not sure if it would work without changes nowadays. Can you imagine the folks beotching on Yelp about Ronnie’s Rules?

I think it would do great business if the product was still good.

If it went under due to people snarking online, then we don't deserve another Ronnie's. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@AndyPok1 will love this- Scott J going on a tear about Hillstone managers copping an attitude (the fact he’s right doesn’t make it any less ironic).

Anyway, the good news is Scott has a chance to wax rhapsodic about our beloved Tap Room and its nicely expanded wine list:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5565-tap-room-at-dubsdread-2

Edited by spenser1058

On 3/2/2021 at 5:44 PM, spenser1058 said:

@AndyPok1 will love this- Scott J going on a tear about Hillstone managers copping an attitude (the fact he’s right doesn’t make it any less ironic).

Anyway, the good news is Scott has a chance to wax rhapsodic about our beloved Tap Room and its nicely expanded wine list:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5565-tap-room-at-dubsdread-2

They once refused to serve me a cocktail. it was 5pm and I had yet had a drink yet. But the party I joined had been there a few hours and management decided they had enough. It was very awkward. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Looks like Avenue (on Orange) will open as a new concept. Not sure if it's owned by the same people. 

https://www.instagram.com/eatdrinkthriveorl/

I am not positive, but I believe this is a different group than who owned Avenue. Per OBJ, this will be owned by "Thriving Hospitality & Entertainment LLC, whose related local concepts include The Knight's Pub near the University of Central Florida and Saddle Up All American Bar"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/15/new-cocktail-bar-eatery-to-open-soon-downtown.html

On 3/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, AmIReal said:

I am not positive, but I believe this is a different group than who owned Avenue. Per OBJ, this will be owned by "Thriving Hospitality & Entertainment LLC, whose related local concepts include The Knight's Pub near the University of Central Florida and Saddle Up All American Bar"

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/15/new-cocktail-bar-eatery-to-open-soon-downtown.html

From the people who brought you massive covid spread...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Oliv Bar is opening on N. Magnolia in the North Quarter (Brendan seems to like that better than NOra or Midtown) this Friday. Cocktails and martinis are the specialties so @dcluley98 and anyone else up that way can get shaken, not stirred:

https://bungalower.com/2021/03/28/new-cocktail-bar-opening-in-the-north-quarter/

From Bungalower 

That's the space Two Chefs used to be in. I miss Two Chefs. . . such a good brunch and oysters there.  They had a rough time with the location despite the food being outstanding and some regulars.  It is in No-man's land on a very busy road without a lot of residents near by. I doubt a lot of people cross the streets to get there and I don't know how well a bar will do there. 

• Like 3

That's the space Two Chefs used to be in. I miss Two Chefs. . . such a good brunch and oysters there.  They had a rough time with the location despite the food being outstanding and some regulars.  It is in No-man's land on a very busy road without a lot of residents near by. I doubt a lot of people cross the streets to get there and I don't know how well a bar will do there. 

Did Bagel World not go into the old Two Chefs? I honestly don’t know because I haven’t been over there since the pandemic started (although I do order BW via Ubereats with some regularity).

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

Did Bagel World not go into the old Two Chefs? I honestly don’t know because I haven’t been over there since the pandemic started (although I do order BW via Ubereats with some regularity).

Bagel World is still there as of last week, so this must be a different space in the same building.

Regardless, really bad location.

OTOH, this business owner has a ton of experience and successes so I'm gonna assume they have a better idea of what they're doing than I do.

The Sandwich Basket never had trouble drawing a crowd, but that was a meatloaf sandwich worth traveling for!

Otoh, didn’t the Two Chefs folks split amicably with a relocation to South Eola  at one point? I seem to recall that - maybe a meh location played a part in that.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this has been posted about or discussed before, but Spectrum News published on its website yesterday that Gordon Ramsey will open up a fish and chips restaurant at ICON Park on I-Drive

n13_gordon_ramsay_fish_chips_orlando_con

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/04/20/gordon-ramsay-orlando-restaurant-to-open-in-august?fbclid=IwAR17jyLRIF83nzGN-uwnpSQpaLQUJY0X6cSAXWF0IAT4geZSkPzWjaOnmW8

• Like 2

Been jonesing for some wings really fast and the idea of going to Hooters is sooooo 1980’s?

Now there’s Hoots, a fast casual version where they promise they’re concentrating more on the food than the, ahem, ambience. Which, of course, never did much for me anyway, even in my fraternity days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/hooters-is-opening-a-new-fast-casual-restaurant-chain-spinoff/ar-BB1g1OxK?li=BBnba9O

From MSN

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Now that I-Bar downtown is going back to its old name from a couple of decades ago, Barbarella, will @JFW657 be one of the cool kids again?

I never was one of the cool kids.

Never spent much time in downtown bars either. 

By the time downtown became a popular bar destination, I was past the age where I was into all that anymore.

My bar days ended in the late 1980's. 

• Like 1