Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Orange Co has an incredibly easy to use court record system. I love it. Journalism is just long dead in Orlando and a despite the high profile attorney involved in this no one really seems to care.

Forgot to mention the case has already been decided and the landlord won, it is on appeal it says but nothing has been actually filed with the 5th DCA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Orange Co has an incredibly easy to use court record system. I love it. Journalism is just long dead in Orlando and a despite the high profile attorney involved in this no one really seems to care.

Forgot to mention the case has already been decided and the landlord won, it is on appeal it says but nothing has been actually filed with the 5th DCA.

Kind of an ongoing issue for that spot. I remember Terrace 390 had the same types of brawls in the courtyard back when it was Bank of America. Trashy. Back in 2102, two off duty police officers were assaulted: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2012/07/30/orlando-police-2-officers-injured-in-downtown-melee/

Good on the landlord for trying to clean up this behavior. I wish some other bars/clubs owners would clean up their image as well. I'm pretty sure Mr. Tazioli would never tolerate this kind of thing in his neighborhood! If he's going to operate a business downtown, he should put more effort into being an asset to the community.

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Kind of an ongoing issue for that spot. I remember Terrace 390 had the same types of brawls in the courtyard back when it was Bank of America. Trashy. Back in 2102, two off duty police officers were assaulted: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2012/07/30/orlando-police-2-officers-injured-in-downtown-melee/

Good on the landlord for trying to clean up this behavior. I wish some other bars/clubs owners would clean up their image as well. I'm pretty sure Mr. Tazioli would never tolerate this kind of thing in his neighborhood! If he's going to operate a business downtown, he should put more effort into being an asset to the community.

If we can't take the former Chief Sales Officer of a beloved little company called Monsanto at his word then really what kind of society are we? Surprised he even leaves Winter Park.

10 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

If we can't take the former Chief Sales Officer of a beloved little company called Monsanto at his word then really what kind of society are we? Surprised he even leaves Winter Park.

Oh shiz...

spacer.png

Edited by nite owℓ

Went to The Pinery this weekend, and have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. Place was packed though. Interior is nice, service was good, outside area looks nice as well - but the food was disappointing. It wasn't bad by any means, but it definitely wasn't as good as what they are charging for it. A lot of it seemed like it wasn't scratch made. Seemed almost like sports bar quality food - not $30/plate dining. 

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Went to The Pinery this weekend, and have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. Place was packed though. Interior is nice, service was good, outside area looks nice as well - but the food was disappointing. It wasn't bad by any means, but it definitely wasn't as good as what they are charging for it. A lot of it seemed like it wasn't scratch made. Seemed almost like sports bar quality food - not $30/plate dining. 

I'm sure I'll eventually check it out, but seeing the chef came from Santiago's Bodega does not set my expectations high.

• 2 weeks later...

Finnhenry’s, one of the few classy establishments in the mess the administration has allowed the downtown core to devolve into, is about to be no more.

It’s telling (and worth a read) when even a bar owner says Buddy’s Bar Buddies (who have been a driving force in his campaigns since the very beginning) have let things decline too far on that stretch of Orange. How long must this continue, Oh, Lord?

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5720-newsy-nuggets-new-neighbors-coming-and-going

From Scott J
Edited by spenser1058

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Finnhenry’s, one of the few classy establishments in the mess the administration has allowed the downtown core to devolve into, is about to be no more.

It’s telling (and worth a read) when even a bar owner says Buddy’s Bar Buddies (who have been a driving force in his campaigns since the very beginning) have let things decline too far on that stretch of Orange. How long must this continue, Oh, Lord?

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5720-newsy-nuggets-new-neighbors-coming-and-going

From Scott J

And becoming a "high end sports bar"- https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/30/florida-new-opening-club-sports-parlay.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, AmIReal said:

Market on Magnolia will be Corner Pizza Bar from the people that do Italian House Pizza in the Hourglass.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/29/florida-restaurant-opening-pizza-orlando-downtown.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Interesting.  I've only been to Italian House once because I was on the hunt for a cheap good italian place after Lido's closed, and found it to be very meh.  However, I have had a few people say the pizza is good.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

From Scott J

Not sure how long it's been since you were at Finn's, but ripping Pickleback shots while a DJ plays loud music isn't what I would consider classy.  And that's what Finns has been for years.  And I went in and did a final Pickleback on their last Saturday for good measure.  

Jokes aside, as your boy Scott Joseph notes, Finn's was one of the few bars downtown not owned by one of the groups (TMG, Bento, CSB, OrangeAve, Orion, Wall St).  Consolidating operations to focus on Ollie's and Vanberrys makes a ton of sense.

25 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Interesting.  I've only been to Italian House once because I was on the hunt for a cheap good italian place after Lido's closed, and found it to be very meh.  However, I have had a few people say the pizza is good.

Not sure how long it's been since you were at Finn's, but ripping Pickleback shots while a DJ plays loud music isn't what I would consider classy.  And that's what Finns has been for years.  And I went in and did a final Pickleback on their last Saturday for good measure.  

Jokes aside, as your boy Scott Joseph notes, Finn's was one of the few bars downtown not owned by one of the groups (TMG, Bento, CSB, OrangeAve, Orion, Wall St).  Consolidating operations to focus on Ollie's and Vanberrys makes a ton of sense.

I stay off Orange Ave at night for just that reason (fortunately, the Helt and Carp :)on Magnolia solves that problem nicely). It does reinforce the idea that if what started out as one of the more traditional spots on Orange devolved into the usual rabble over there, it just solidifies the point. Hopefully, the replacement will aim higher.

Meanwhile, we can think back to Valentyne’s or the French Market when that stretch of downtown had bigger aspirations.

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:24 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

Finally got to check out The Monroe last night. As expected it was fantastic. Space is beautiful, service really well done, food was delicious. Felt the pricing was very fair as well. Already can't wait to go back.

I agree with all of the above. That restaurant group- Good Salt- really does a fine job.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2021 Foodster Sandwich Awards are in and the winners are:

•   Pammie’s Sammies - the sammiches are every bit as awesome as downtown Winter Garden!

•   Yellow Dog Eats - the once upon a time favorite in both Downtown O-town and Winter Park, continues making amazing sandwiches in Gotha;

•   BEEFY King - They’ve been doing it since 1968 and Orlando loves them (try the hot pastrami and swiss).

Yummy!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/5844-2021-best-sandwich-foodster-award

From Scott J

Is it a coincidence that the top three winners are in unique structures that people find comforting or a nod to good times rather than in the sterile highrises that keep being foisted upon us to line the pockets of out of town developers?

Edited by spenser1058

On 11/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J stops in at the Corner Pizza Bar, the latest incarnation at Magnolia and Church. He was not whelmed.

Scott also gives us quite a history lesson on the once upon a time Crystal Lake Pizza Hut:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/67-pizza/5837-corner-pizza-bar

The place is fine. It's exactly what it's trying to be. A sports bar that sells decent pizza/italian food. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Russell’s is the runaway winner of the 2021 Foodster Award for Best New Restaurant. Second place was a tie between The Pinery and The Monroe (I voted for it):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-/past-winners/5901-2021-best-new-restaurant-foodster-award

From Scott J

I’m pleased all three winners were in the core this year. 

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Russell’s is the runaway winner of the 2021 Foodster Award for Best New Restaurant. Second place was a tie between The Pinery and The Monroe (I voted for it):

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-/past-winners/5901-2021-best-new-restaurant-foodster-award

From Scott J

I’m pleased all three winners were in the core this year. 

I was really underwhelmed by Russell’s. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I was really underwhelmed by Russell’s. 

It didn’t do much for me, either. I like the location but that’s about it. The Monroe I really did like (and voted accordingly) but Maxine’s is still my go to. It’s quaint, funky, the food’s good and like the song says, “everybody knows my name”. Plus, I can walk there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Russell's is trash. Monroe is by far the best new place to open.

I gave Russel's numerous tries. The first 2 were pretty good despite service issues and the bar being out of numerous items. Each successive trip the food continued to get worse- so I finally gave up.

Definitely agree Monroe is much, much better.

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It didn’t do much for me, either. I like the location but that’s about it. The Monroe I really did like (and voted accordingly) but Maxine’s is still my go to. It’s quaint, funky, the food’s good and like the song says, “everybody knows my name”. Plus, I can walk there.

I agree —Maxines is a step above the rest.

• Like 1