Jump to content

Orlando Restaurants & Bars


Chemmie

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ten iconic Florida restaurants still going strong, in some cases for over a century:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/dining/2021/06/05/florida-restaurants-10-states-most-legendary-places-eat/5134322001/

From The Florida Times Union

Orlando didn’t make the cut but Billy’s in Ormond did. Time for me and @jrs2to meet up there halfway. Road trip!
 

Speaking of iconic, I wonder if @dcluley98 brought us back some of Ted Peters’ smoked mullet from St. Pete (and those amazing sides). I’ve been jonesing for some ever since Norwood’s went upscale and got a tad high-falutin’.

Cool. I've eaten at all of them except Cabbage Key Inn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

That restaurant looks awful to me. 

I guess not my taste/vibe. 

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. They have been getting tone of complements from everyone I've talked to/ read for the design and decor... the noise level seems to be the only issues I've heard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the decor is not necessarily my taste either, there are good portions to it like the murals, nice wood textures/furniture, and incandescent lighting elements. 

I was more referring to the overall atmosphere/theme and food. 

Edited by dcluley98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Scott J has a tale of the legendary surliness of the Hillstone management staff:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5693-newsy-nuggets-new-chef-at-jw-marriott-bc-808-in-the-407-fleming-s-gas-problem-fixed-and-don-t-ask-for-a-salad-to-go-at-hillstone

Heaven knows compared to that bunch Ronnie’s Rules seemed almost like groveling. But hey, we’re talking WP, where everyone’s noses must point an inch or two in the air (although even the Houston’s - Hillstone’s predecessor- in Nashville had a touch of attitude way back in the ‘80’s; that was ok by me because at the time I preferred the homemade guac at Spats on the back side of Vandy anyway).

 

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 6/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, bqknight said:

Would love to know if anyone has any information on....

1. Former Market on Magnolia - have seen some people in there recently and there is no longer a For Lease sign. 

2. Former Great Harvest Bakery - there was a For Lease sign up for a bit but has since been removed and it looks like stuff has slowly been being removed from the location. 

Also - @popsiclebrandon- I saw that what I believe is your store was robbed. Hope all is alright if so!

Market on Magnolia will be Corner Pizza Bar from the people that do Italian House Pizza in the Hourglass.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/29/florida-restaurant-opening-pizza-orlando-downtown.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, bqknight said:

This is a fun one. Disappointing to see Crump get involved in this but guess he thinks since the owner of the building also owns the Suns and some other high profile property it might work.

 

So in general according to the legal filings Dovecote is almost a million in the hole to the landlord in unpaid rent and loans. I'm honestly unsure why the landlord isn't just evicting them completely. Guess they don't want to risk losing office leases over it. In 2018 they fell over 100k behind in rent and defaulted on a 250k loan. Plus another loan from an outside party. Their ownership structure is very confusing.

To the main point basically Dovecote is throwing large, nightclub like events in the courtyard and common areas. All of the expressly called out as against the terms of the lease in the lease. They claim they have had to clean blood from the elevator because of a fight, property destruction, the music is shaking other tenant windows and they have had complaints, they advertise events with smoking and allow it when the building is smoke free, they have had patrons pull guns on each other, extreme breaking of Covid policies, and just in general they are making a mess of a Class A building. Oh they also don't have active insurance.

The legal point is this, landlords basically always can do whatever they want and they went on and documented many cases of them violating the actual terms so even if they didn't have sole discretion clause it would be taken away. Its a shame, Dovecote used to be good.

 

dovecote.thumb.PNG.bff9699e5f0ae428f396ba022817f4ef.PNG

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

This is a fun one. Disappointing to see Crump get involved in this but guess he thinks since the owner of the building also owns the Suns and some other high profile property it might work.

 

So in general according to the legal filings Dovecote is almost a million in the hole to the landlord in unpaid rent and loans. I'm honestly unsure why the landlord isn't just evicting them completely. Guess they don't want to risk losing office leases over it. In 2018 they fell over 100k behind in rent and defaulted on a 250k loan. Plus another loan from an outside party. Their ownership structure is very confusing.

To the main point basically Dovecote is throwing large, nightclub like events in the courtyard and common areas. All of the expressly called out as against the terms of the lease in the lease. They claim they have had to clean blood from the elevator because of a fight, property destruction, the music is shaking other tenant windows and they have had complaints, they advertise events with smoking and allow it when the building is smoke free, they have had patrons pull guns on each other, extreme breaking of Covid policies, and just in general they are making a mess of a Class A building. Oh they also don't have active insurance.

The legal point is this, landlords basically always can do whatever they want and they went on and documented many cases of them violating the actual terms so even if they didn't have sole discretion clause it would be taken away. Its a shame, Dovecote used to be good.

 

dovecote.thumb.PNG.bff9699e5f0ae428f396ba022817f4ef.PNG

 

Great synopsis. This restaurant has been the walking dead for over 2 years. I hate to see them go, but even more I hate to see them in their current state. Interestingly (not), the OS wrote a very 1 sided article- from the side of the restaurant- but they couldn't find the time to pull up the court docs you did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orange Co has an incredibly easy to use court record system. I love it. Journalism is just long dead in Orlando and a despite the high profile attorney involved in this no one really seems to care.

Forgot to mention the case has already been decided and the landlord won, it is on appeal it says but nothing has been actually filed with the 5th DCA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Orange Co has an incredibly easy to use court record system. I love it. Journalism is just long dead in Orlando and a despite the high profile attorney involved in this no one really seems to care.

Forgot to mention the case has already been decided and the landlord won, it is on appeal it says but nothing has been actually filed with the 5th DCA.

Kind of an ongoing issue for that spot. I remember Terrace 390 had the same types of brawls in the courtyard back when it was Bank of America. Trashy. Back in 2102, two off duty police officers were assaulted: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2012/07/30/orlando-police-2-officers-injured-in-downtown-melee/

Good on the landlord for trying to clean up this behavior. I wish some other bars/clubs owners would clean up their image as well. I'm pretty sure Mr. Tazioli would never tolerate this kind of thing in his neighborhood! If he's going to operate a business downtown, he should put more effort into being an asset to the community.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Kind of an ongoing issue for that spot. I remember Terrace 390 had the same types of brawls in the courtyard back when it was Bank of America. Trashy. Back in 2102, two off duty police officers were assaulted: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2012/07/30/orlando-police-2-officers-injured-in-downtown-melee/

Good on the landlord for trying to clean up this behavior. I wish some other bars/clubs owners would clean up their image as well. I'm pretty sure Mr. Tazioli would never tolerate this kind of thing in his neighborhood! If he's going to operate a business downtown, he should put more effort into being an asset to the community.

 

If we can't take the former Chief Sales Officer of a beloved little company called Monsanto at his word then really what kind of society are we? Surprised he even leaves Winter Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

If we can't take the former Chief Sales Officer of a beloved little company called Monsanto at his word then really what kind of society are we? Surprised he even leaves Winter Park.

Oh shiz...

spacer.png

Edited by nite owℓ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to The Pinery this weekend, and have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. Place was packed though. Interior is nice, service was good, outside area looks nice as well - but the food was disappointing. It wasn't bad by any means, but it definitely wasn't as good as what they are charging for it. A lot of it seemed like it wasn't scratch made. Seemed almost like sports bar quality food - not $30/plate dining. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Went to The Pinery this weekend, and have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. Place was packed though. Interior is nice, service was good, outside area looks nice as well - but the food was disappointing. It wasn't bad by any means, but it definitely wasn't as good as what they are charging for it. A lot of it seemed like it wasn't scratch made. Seemed almost like sports bar quality food - not $30/plate dining. 

 

 

I'm sure I'll eventually check it out, but seeing the chef came from Santiago's Bodega does not set my expectations high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Finnhenry’s, one of the few classy establishments in the mess the administration has allowed the downtown core to devolve into, is about to be no more.

It’s telling (and worth a read) when even a bar owner says Buddy’s Bar Buddies (who have been a driving force in his campaigns since the very beginning) have let things decline too far on that stretch of Orange. How long must this continue, Oh, Lord?
 


https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5720-newsy-nuggets-new-neighbors-coming-and-going

From Scott J
Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Finnhenry’s, one of the few classy establishments in the mess the administration has allowed the downtown core to devolve into, is about to be no more.

It’s telling (and worth a read) when even a bar owner says Buddy’s Bar Buddies (who have been a driving force in his campaigns since the very beginning) have let things decline too far on that stretch of Orange. How long must this continue, Oh, Lord?
 


https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5720-newsy-nuggets-new-neighbors-coming-and-going

From Scott J

And becoming a "high end sports bar"- https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/30/florida-new-opening-club-sports-parlay.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, AmIReal said:

Market on Magnolia will be Corner Pizza Bar from the people that do Italian House Pizza in the Hourglass.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/29/florida-restaurant-opening-pizza-orlando-downtown.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

Interesting.  I've only been to Italian House once because I was on the hunt for a cheap good italian place after Lido's closed, and found it to be very meh.  However, I have had a few people say the pizza is good.

 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

Finnhenry’s, one of the few classy establishments in the mess the administration has allowed the downtown core to devolve into, is about to be no more.

It’s telling (and worth a read) when even a bar owner says Buddy’s Bar Buddies (who have been a driving force in his campaigns since the very beginning) have let things decline too far on that stretch of Orange. How long must this continue, Oh, Lord?
 


https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5720-newsy-nuggets-new-neighbors-coming-and-going

From Scott J

Not sure how long it's been since you were at Finn's, but ripping Pickleback shots while a DJ plays loud music isn't what I would consider classy.  And that's what Finns has been for years.  And I went in and did a final Pickleback on their last Saturday for good measure.  

Jokes aside, as your boy Scott Joseph notes, Finn's was one of the few bars downtown not owned by one of the groups (TMG, Bento, CSB, OrangeAve, Orion, Wall St).  Consolidating operations to focus on Ollie's and Vanberrys makes a ton of sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Interesting.  I've only been to Italian House once because I was on the hunt for a cheap good italian place after Lido's closed, and found it to be very meh.  However, I have had a few people say the pizza is good.

 

Not sure how long it's been since you were at Finn's, but ripping Pickleback shots while a DJ plays loud music isn't what I would consider classy.  And that's what Finns has been for years.  And I went in and did a final Pickleback on their last Saturday for good measure.  

Jokes aside, as your boy Scott Joseph notes, Finn's was one of the few bars downtown not owned by one of the groups (TMG, Bento, CSB, OrangeAve, Orion, Wall St).  Consolidating operations to focus on Ollie's and Vanberrys makes a ton of sense.

I stay off Orange Ave at night for just that reason (fortunately, the Helt and Carp :)on Magnolia solves that problem nicely). It does reinforce the idea that if what started out as one of the more traditional spots on Orange devolved into the usual rabble over there, it just solidifies the point. Hopefully, the replacement will aim higher.

Meanwhile, we can think back to Valentyne’s or the French Market when that stretch of downtown had bigger aspirations.

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.