Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

Can anyone recommend a place that has good gyro sandwiches in or around town?

its been some time since I have been there. At intersection of Orange and Colonial is great place for gyros. Also another place is down Orange between Central and Pine a placed called Earthstone grill on the right side.

its been some time since I have been there. At intersection of Orange and Colonial is great place for gyros. Also another place is down Orange between Central and Pine a placed called Earthstone grill on the right side.

If you are not Downtown, there is a place on Semoran north of Aloma with a blue roof on the east side of Semoran. great greek food

Can anyone recommend a place that has good gyro sandwiches in or around town?

There's a lot of good gyro places. There's one on the corner of Semoran and Colonial. One near the corner of Virginia and Orange Ave. (Greek Corner). One on Semoran, near Howell Branch....

A simple gyro place isn't hard to find.

However, there is also Bosphorous. It's on Park Avenue and it's Turkish. A "Doner" is your typical gyro meat. It's much, much, much better than your typical gyro, but I also think Bosphorous is overpriced. It's delicious, but Turkish food usually isn't a very expensive meal, at Bosphorous it is. I would also suggest getting other items on the menu. There are some items that have tomato sauce and yogurt, more spices, and the chicken is also seasoned well.

Turkish food is pretty much my favorite in the world. There aren't many cuisines with as many bold flavors as those in the Med. My suggestion is to pay the extra amount and hit up Bosphorous for a Doner Kebab or Iskender Kebab. You won't be sorry.

There's a lot of good gyro places. There's one on the corner of Semoran and Colonial. One near the corner of Virginia and Orange Ave. (Greek Corner). One on Semoran, near Howell Branch....

However, there is also Bosphorous. It's on Park Avenue and it's Turkish. A "Doner" is your typical gyro meat. It's much, much, much better than your typical gyro, but I also think Bosphorous is overpriced. It's delicious, but Turkish food usually isn't a very expensive meal, at Bosphorous it is. I would also suggest getting other items on the menu. There are some items that have tomato sauce and yogurt, more spices, and the chicken is also seasoned well.

Turkish food is pretty much my favorite in the world. There aren't many cuisines with as many bold flavors as those in the Med. My suggestion is to pay the extra amount and hit up Bosphorous for a Doner Kebab or Iskender Kebab. You won't be sorry.

You see 'Doner Kebab' places all over in France...they are often the only places open late. Cheap street food.

Similar to that, there is a Mediterranean Deli at Fairbanks and Adanson in Winter Park. They've got good, cheap food. Vegetarian options too I guess.

Plus the Greek ...Corner? on Lake Ivanhoe is good also for a sit down meal.

You're right, I've found a lot of places that have them. Just none that are particularly great, at least of the ones I've been to. Though the place MAntoniazzi mentioned, on Semoran, I believe he's referring to Greek Flame Taverna. Place is great. Excellent gyros, but they serve it traditional style, on a plate. I'm looking for a sandwich-style gyro that I can take on the go. I'll have to try the place on Colonial & Orange. They're usually closed though whenever I'm DT, unfortunately.

Bosphorous sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out. :thumbsup:

Well, I have finally tried Johnson's Diner over at CityView and it was good. It is Southern Cuisine, so those that are into Modern American with items that are INFUSED into their food may not like it. I had fried Trout, which turned out lighter than I expected. I thought it would be very greasy and I was pleasantly surprised. I had a late lunch and the macaroni & cheese that I was served had some overdone noodles in it (the hard ones that form after sitting too long). For greens, I expected the usual Collard Greens but the selection actually changes every day of the week. They were serving (if my memory serves me correct) Mustard Greens, which were delicious. It may have been Turnip Greens. I also had broccoli. Overcooked for my taste, but it was cooked to the usual tenderness for Southern Cuisine, so I can't complain. 3 sides accompanied the Fried Trout for 6 bucks and the sweet tea was around a buck more. I was stuffed and satisfied for 7 bucks. I recommend it to anyone that likes southern soul food or for someone that wants to see what it's all about.

Anyone been to District 5 (or whatever it is called) in the City Place Holiday inn renovation?

On another note, Graze (in the Sanctuary) opened about a week ago and is doing pretty well. I went there Sunday for dinner and it was actually very good! I like the concept of 2 sized main plates and the huge sharing platters. The bartender is TOP NOTCH and makes all of her mixers from real fruit and ingredients. Their signature drink (which is basically a gin mohito martini) was so damn delish! They also have a nice prefix menu from 4 - 6pm.

The Harp Steak and Seafood Restaurant & Celt Irish Bar (this is one establishment) has a sign on their window stating that they are coming soon. The website says...

"Slated for a May 2007 opening in the historic district of downtown Orlando. Located at 25 South Magnolia Ave. The Harp and Celt is bringing our award winning cuisine to downtown."

Last minute request - any one know of a good tiki themed place in Orlando (preferably NOT at the polynesian resort!)?

Well, there is WaTiki in the wall street complex. It isn't that great of food and really is a big party/bar on weekend nights. But for a decent lunch it's ok.

(Itallian Recommendation)

If anyone is into Italian, I'm recommending Guiseppe's Ristorante in Ocoee (OF ALL PLACES!)

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant is located at 1568 Maguire Road in Ocoee. For more information, call 407-656-0129.

Now, first I will say that this is a family owned place, not a chain. The owner, Guiseppe, used to own a small family place in a small town called Seaville, New Jersey. My family owned a summer home directly across the street from Guiseppe's in Seaville, NJ. We loved it there.

Well, last year, Guiseppe decided to move to Orlando and open his place here! My parents, who still have the place in New Jersey, called me immediately when they found out upon their first visit to Guiseppe's this season. We're very excited!!

Guiseppe's menu is actually kind of complicated. You pick a meat and a pasta and they have a lengthy list of sauces. There are just too many choices!! They also have very good French Onion Soup.

I just wanted to point this place out since my family has been going to the original for years. It's amazing Italian food and there are several choices that are different from your typical Italian dishes.

Orlando City Beat had a very positive review.

http://orlandocitybeat.metromix.com/restau...0,1824136.story

Please, try them out and let me know what you think!!

Quick question about brunches -- besides the very expensive (though really good) Jazz Buffet at the Bohemian hotel, what would you say is the best brunch downtown?

How is the one at HUE (and is it really expensive)? Are there any other decent buffets?

Quick question about brunches -- besides the very expensive (though really good) Jazz Buffet at the Bohemian hotel, what would you say is the best brunch downtown?

How is the one at HUE (and is it really expensive)? Are there any other decent buffets?

For a great and unique buffet, 'Boma: Flavors of Africa' at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge is fantastic... the desserts alone are phenomenal. They also have breakfast though I've not had it. I know it's not brunch nor downtown, so... there you go.

I had brunch at Hue once. I had eggs benedict with a mimosa. It was delicious. It cost me around $25 for two. That's a pricey 'breakfast' for me, but mimosas do have champagne, so I felt great!

I don't know if they do it every Sunday or if it just for Easter... The Peabody has a great brunch. (not downtown)

There is that place on Pine Street (not that great, though).

Also not downtown, but very good is Le Peep on Kirkman (if it still there) at the Publix shopping center at Conroy. When I lived in that area (around 10 years ago), I used to go there all the time. Great brunch or breakfast.

"Friends" next to the 7-11 on the corner of Mills and Virginia has a good brunch. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's good and has improved and gotten more popular over the last few months. I think it's around $15 and has all you can drink Momosas. It's not large, but usually has some good selections.

It is VERY gay-friendly. I just wanted to put that out there.

There is an Italian place in the Gaylord Palms Hotel that has the most amazing brunch I've ever seen... if you want to go out that far.

Edited by Chemmie

I just wanted to say that PF Changs just got their 3rd strike last night. I have eaten there 2 times already and both times they suck. I am pretty sure they have their market based on image. The only reason I went last night is because one of my sister's gave me a gift card to their place. They absolutely suck.

I should know better than to go to a chain Chinese restaurant when I can just head down to the Little Saigon area and get fresh Vietnamese all day for half the price. On a happy note, my dog enjoyed her dinner last night. And since I still have 25 bucks on a gift card, she's gonna get another meal all to herself soon.

I don't know if I have already asked this, but does anyone know of a decent Chinese restaurant near either downtown Orlando or Winter Park??

I just wanted to say that PF Changs just got their 3rd strike last night. I have eaten there 2 times already and both times they suck. I am pretty sure they have their market based on image. The only reason I went last night is because one of my sister's gave me a gift card to their place. They absolutely suck.

I should know better than to go to a chain Chinese restaurant when I can just head down to the Little Saigon area and get fresh Vietnamese all day for half the price. On a happy note, my dog enjoyed her dinner last night. And since I still have 25 bucks on a gift card, she's gonna get another meal all to herself soon.

I don't know if I have already asked this, but does anyone know of a decent Chinese restaurant near either downtown Orlando or Winter Park??

PF Changs is insane. As a whole, Asian foods are cheap. Lots of spice, lots of veggies, rice and a little meat.

PF Changes gets by on image alone. You can get the same or better Chinese food from the majority of strip-mall take out places for less than half the price. On top of that, you don't have to wait for hours and deal with the morons who think they are eating some kind of gourmet asian dishes.

Ever try Pei Wei over on 50 by the Target? It is owned by PF Chang's but is a much cheaper version and I think their food is actually quite good. For about 7 bucks you can get a decent meal that to me, is very tasty.

Try the Kung Pao w/ chicken & brown rice.

Ever try Pei Wei over on 50 by the Target? It is owned by PF Chang's but is a much cheaper version and I think their food is actually quite good. For about 7 bucks you can get a decent meal that to me, is very tasty.

Try the Kung Pao w/ chicken & brown rice.

Oddly enough, I have eaten there and I think they ARE better.

I've heard from a few Chinese people that "Lam's Garden" on Colonial and Bumby (in the Winn-Dixie plaza) has very good Chinese. However, Chinese food is my least favorite Asian fare, so I haven't been there myself.

I've heard from a few Chinese people that "Lam's Garden" on Colonial and Bumby (in the Winn-Dixie plaza) has very good Chinese. However, Chinese food is my least favorite Asian fare, so I haven't been there myself.

That's funny. I'm part Japanese and was raised on traditional Japanese fare (of course mixed in with traditional American) and I prefer Chinese.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for them.

That's funny. I'm part Japanese and was raised on traditional Japanese fare (of course mixed in with traditional American) and I prefer Chinese.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for them.

I'm part Japanese but was raised on traditional American fare, and fresh Vietnamese is my favorite. :-) What I don't like about Chinese is the fried foods. I probably haven't had good Chinese.

Oh, I take that back. I had some delicious Chinese in NYC's Chinatown a few years ago. I sat at a table of six with five others dining alone -- all of whom had ties to Florida. We had fun watching the handbag sales people open and close their shops as cops came and went.

Edited by slapdash09