Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

17 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Sounds like the Bear and Peacock will be moving to their Creative Village location in Fall though. 

Are they even making anything currently? They really need a marketing person to come on board, they use different brands for everything and while a bunch of Fl Distilleries have thrived in recent years these guys are a total afterthought. Its sad, I want a cool local distillery.

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

Sounds like the Bear and Peacock will be moving to their Creative Village location in Fall though. 

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/14/foxtail-expanding-kellyswine-and-sons-kellys-the-courtesy/

That IG post mentioned in the Bungalower article is from April of last year. Neither Bear and Peacock or WP Distilling have posted anything since, except the distillery had a FB reply that said they ran into delays- that was 8 months ago. I drive by that downtown spot (639 W. Robinson St.)  often and have not seen any permits or construction, so I'm not sure what they have planned.

22 hours ago, AmIReal said:

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/14/foxtail-expanding-kellyswine-and-sons-kellys-the-courtesy/

That IG post mentioned in the Bungalower article is from April of last year. Neither Bear and Peacock or WP Distilling have posted anything since, except the distillery had a FB reply that said they ran into delays- that was 8 months ago. I drive by that downtown spot (639 W. Robinson St.)  often and have not seen any permits or construction, so I'm not sure what they have planned.

Just moving into a warehouse on Robinson myself and go by there all the time. Nothing is happening there. It was only taken off loopnet 2 months ago so maybe deal only finished recently?

• 3 weeks later...

A milestone that no doubt will be much loved here at UP Orlando!

“Here’s another announcement: Tomorrow, May 14, is the 13th anniversary of Scott Joseph’s Orlando Restaurant Guide. A previous version of the site existed before 2009, but it was on this date 14 years ago that it became a full-service website, complete with a database of reviewed restaurants searchable by cuisines, location and special features, something that no other local publication offers. (We also publish more reviews than any other publication, but that’s just bragging.)

This month also happens to mark the 34th anniversary of my arrival in Central Florida to become the restaurant critic for the Orlando Sentinel. After an estimated 3,400 reviews, I’m still at it, thanks to your readership and support.”

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6058-newsy-nuggets-5-13-22

Shall we all send gifts!?!

Edited by spenser1058

Scott J reports Michelin will announce its first “stars” for Florida (as well as the “Bib Gourmand” ranking for those not making the cut on June 9.)

Several of the state’s premiere eateries (like Vicky and Al’s at Disney) won’t be included this year because they haven’t reopened from COVID yet. It will be interesting to see how that skews the ratings.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6059-michelin-will-announce-local-winners-for-new-florida-guide-on-june-9

Edited by spenser1058

I'll be interested about the list. Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and did a few Michelin spots.  Had meal of my life at Imago in Rome and it only has 1 star.  We don't have anything on that level currently but I assume a little curve will happen. I think Kadence will get a star. AVA intrigues me as I think they are gunning hard for one. I think a good bit get Bib like some of those new hotel restaurants that have opened and Kabooki. Places like Prato and Osprey might get in just because they are consistently good at what they do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'll be interested about the list. Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and did a few Michelin spots.  Had meal of my life at Imago in Rome and it only has 1 star.  We don't have anything on that level currently but I assume a little curve will happen. I think Kadence will get a star. AVA intrigues me as I think they are gunning hard for one. I think a good bit get Bib like some of those new hotel restaurants that have opened and Kabooki. Places like Prato and Osprey might get in just because they are consistently good at what they do.

Agreed. I don't see us or Tampa getting a star. Likely Miami does. However, it is good Michelin has at least added the state to the list to review.

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J reports Michelin will announce its first “stars” for Florida (as well as the “Bib Gourmand” ranking for those not making the cut on June 9.)

Several of the state’s premiere eateries (like Vicky and Al’s at Disney) won’t be included this year because they haven’t reopened from COVID yet. It will be interesting to see how that skews the ratings.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6059-michelin-will-announce-local-winners-for-new-florida-guide-on-june-9

As a side note, one of the many movies we watched over the COVID period was about how heavily Michelin stars weigh on chefs and restaurateurs.  It's called The Hundred-Foot Journey and it stars Helen Mirren (at least she was the only actor I knew going into it) as a snooty woman with 1 star and the immigrant Indian family who open an inferior (in her eyes) restaurant directly across the street.  While fictional, the movie really made me think about how insanely stressful it must be for these restaurants to even be considered.

• Like 1

Some unusual news from The Monroe:

“Josh Oakley has left his post at The Monroe in downtown Orlando’s Creative Village to become the executive chef for a hospital in North Carolina. Quite a departure in more ways than one. Before opening the Monroe last year, Oakley was at 1921 Mount Dora and was one of the founders of the Smiling Bison.”

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6061-newsy-nuggets-5-18-22

Meanwhile, I tried to imagine @AndyPok1 into cosplay on this one , but I’m just not there so far (but who knows)?

Anyway, subtract Carroll and this might be right up Andy’s alley:

“It’s actually called The Alice: An Immersive Cocktail Experience that a press release would like us to believe has been selling out in Sydney and Melbourne (the one in Australia) and is beginning a U.S. tour. And along with Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Denver, Orlando is on the stop list. It will plop down at the Oliv Bar in downtown Orlando from June 29 through Aug. 10. It will be all Alice In Wonderland-themed, with costumed characters and cocktails poured out of a teapot. I’m guessing you’ll hear “eat me” a lot as the evening goes on.”

What do you think, Andy?

From Scott J

Edited by spenser1058

On 5/18/2022 at 3:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

Some unusual news from The Monroe:

“Josh Oakley has left his post at The Monroe in downtown Orlando’s Creative Village to become the executive chef for a hospital in North Carolina. Quite a departure in more ways than one. Before opening the Monroe last year, Oakley was at 1921 Mount Dora and was one of the founders of the Smiling Bison.”

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6061-newsy-nuggets-5-18-22

Meanwhile, I tried to imagine @AndyPok1 into cosplay on this one , but I’m just not there so far (but who knows)?

Anyway, subtract Carroll and this might be right up Andy’s alley:

“It’s actually called The Alice: An Immersive Cocktail Experience that a press release would like us to believe has been selling out in Sydney and Melbourne (the one in Australia) and is beginning a U.S. tour. And along with Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Denver, Orlando is on the stop list. It will plop down at the Oliv Bar in downtown Orlando from June 29 through Aug. 10. It will be all Alice In Wonderland-themed, with costumed characters and cocktails poured out of a teapot. I’m guessing you’ll hear “eat me” a lot as the evening goes on.”

What do you think, Andy?

From Scott J

Chef Oakly was looking for a change in lifestyle- less hours at work, less stress, less strain on the body, more outdoor time, more fun time, weekends off. Plus his girlfriend lives in West NC.

This is just awful. For the second time this month, the iconic Goff’s ice cream shop on OBT was the victim of arson, and the latest fire nearly destroyed it.

No further info at this time but this just hurts.

The stand goes back to 1948 and, in 1951, was apparently bombed by the KKK when it was called the Creamette for having the temerity to serve White and Black customers.

Here’s hoping history is not repeating itself.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-ne-goffs-parramore-ice-cream-fire-arson-20220520-xtzdh5ys4bgpdpdtbheiulzj34-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Barnie’s is coming back to Park Ave. There’s a lot more competition now than when Barnie’s started (before even Starbucks came to town).

Can it make a fresh start this time?

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6063-newsy-nuggets-5-20-22

From Scott J

Barnie's has never not been there. Just an update to the space it seems.

• Thanks 1

Bungalower has a little more on the explosion/fire events at Goff’s, Orlando’s iconic ice cream stand.

This is just evil. It’s interesting that Goff’s has been around almost as long as La Cantina (it was once known as Creamette) but has stayed put all these year. 

Here’s hoping they come back stronger than ever!

https://bungalower.com/2022/05/22/iconic-goffs-ice-cream-stand-suffers-fire-damage/

At The Angebilt, the former Subway is now a bar called Belhop.  It is themed like a turn of the century hotel lobby with couches, leather suitcases, Disney-esque finishes. It even has outdoor seating along Wall Street and lobby of Angebilt seating. It's got a Mathers vibe.

20220526_174953.jpg

20220526_175011.jpg

20220526_175103.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, jrs2 said:

At The Angebilt, the former Subway is now a bar called Belhop.  It is themed like a turn of the century hotel lobby with couches, leather suitcases, Disney-esque finishes. It even has outdoor seating along Wall Street and lobby of Angebilt seating. It's got a Mathers vibe.

20220526_174953.jpg

20220526_175011.jpg

20220526_175103.jpg

Now if we could just get the Drurys to convert the Angebilt or 1 North Orange (State Bank building) to a hotel that would match the ambience of the bar…

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 9:24 AM, spenser1058 said:

Bungalower has a little more on the explosion/fire events at Goff’s, Orlando’s iconic ice cream stand.

This is just evil. It’s interesting that Goff’s has been around almost as long as La Cantina (it was once known as Creamette) but has stayed put all these year. 

Obviously arson is awful, and everything about this is awful.

And this is being pedantic, but is it truly iconic?  Feels like it should be from what you're posting.  But I've literally been here a decade, have immersed myself in the local culture and history as much as one reasonably can not being a native because this is home to me.  I've never heard of this place.  If I haven't, then how would any of the hundreds of thousands of transplants going to hear about it?  And if it's not known, is it still iconic?

I'm not exactly sure what my point here is... but somehow word gets out about Linda's and Lee & Rick's and the various other Orlando "institutions".  As a community, do we need to do better about preaching about additional places that have historical value (and still producing a quality product)?

• Like 1