Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Obviously arson is awful, and everything about this is awful.

And this is being pedantic, but is it truly iconic?  Feels like it should be from what you're posting.  But I've literally been here a decade, have immersed myself in the local culture and history as much as one reasonably can not being a native because this is home to me.  I've never heard of this place.  If I haven't, then how would any of the hundreds of thousands of transplants going to hear about it?  And if it's not known, is it still iconic?

I'm not exactly sure what my point here is... but somehow word gets out about Linda's and Lee & Rick's and the various other Orlando "institutions".  As a community, do we need to do better about preaching about additional places that have historical value (and still producing a quality product)?

Well, for sixteen years now here at Urban Planet I’ve certainly been trying <g>.

Goff’s also looms larger in my mind than even most natives because it was often the last (and most anticipated) stop on our ventures between downtown and home. Growing up on the west side of town, there was little there except houses. Shopping (other than for groceries and other staples), visiting parks or a library larger than a postage stamp plus visits to the Y all meant trips downtown or further east. My dad also worked for Hughes Supply (then on W. Central), and we only had one car until I was about eight.

As a result, it wasn’t unusual to do whatever was needed downtown and if we were eating out (often at Morrison’s or Chastain’s) afterwards , Goff’s was often the last stop before home.

I know I’m biased because I was born here but it’s been my experience that most of the new folks I’ve met in town over the years are little interested in such things (and then say Orlando has “no history”).

Many who move here come with the understanding that until October 1, 1971, nothing really existed here and the whole area was nothing more than a place to pass by on the Turnpike while headed to Miami.  

As you note, Orlando has, after all, more folks from somewhere else than a lot of places. As a result, they never meet a native to show them the older places.

I know not everyone’s like that, of course, so I get your point. When I moved to Nashville, for example, I sought out spots like Jimmy Kelly’s,  Candyland, Varallo’s Chili and Harvey’s. Locals were always like “how did you know about places like that?” so maybe that’s just the way most folks are.

It’s definitely easier if you’re new in town to just look for the nearest DQ instead of a place like Goff’s. Goff’s also is tucked away in a tiny spot on OBT that most folks who aren’t African-American rarely spend time. Because it’s just a tiny ice cream spot, it’s unlikely to show up in a Scott J review (or anyone else’s). Beefy King, for example, has always gotten more attention, but it’s hard to miss going down Bumby. Going to local spots instead of a chain also requires leaving one’s comfort zone. Reading your posts over the years it’s easy to know that’s not an issue for you :-) and I value that sort of thing.

I have known folks whose parents never took them there growing up because they were infamous in pre-civil rights days for (egad!) serving Black and White customers from the same counter (as you may have read in the story). Yes, I thought those days were long gone but then OANN and the like came along.

I’ve even met folks on UP who could care less about a place’s history. That strikes me as odd for a board like this because a sense of place is a key ingredient in successful architecture. Nevertheless, there are plenty of people who seem perfectly happy in places like Hunter’s Creek or most of East Orange that were just empty scrub or cow pastures thirty years ago and rarely leave the ‘burbs.

Even worse, one guy I went on a blind date with some years ago lived in Hunter’s Creek yet had never heard of Gatorland, much less visited, and he was just a few miles away. I’ve never understood that kind of thing but everyone’s different.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Orlando Brewing has finally announced they are moving to 5368 International Drive southeast of Fun Spot America and Universal Orlando Resort. As announced last week, they will also have a spot at C Terminal at OIA. Per John Cheek, the owner, they are partnering with a restaurant group to bring its name and beer to OIA in September. The airport spot will be called Orlando Brewing Bar & Bites.

Last day at the Atlanta Ave location is 7/4.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-brewing-new-location-20220601-2bhcnug24nbcpew7fksqyxbydm-story.html

Scott J stops in at Sloppy Joe’s Orlando, a rather sanitized version of the Key West original. This one’s at Icon Park.

Scott notes the food’s quite tasty and observes their version of a Cuban sandwich (called a “Havana” here) is actually better than many around town.

What caught my attention is that amidst all the Key West memorabilia, they included a very familiar photo of our very own Ronnie’s.

Just another tiny bit of evidence that it lives on in the hearts and minds of even out-of-towners. It will long be remembered as one of Orlando’s favorite eateries for almost forty years. Indeed, it may be the best there ever was…

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/6074-sloppy-joe-s-orlando

Edited by spenser1058

On 6/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, AmIReal said:

Orlando Brewing has finally announced they are moving to 5368 International Drive southeast of Fun Spot America and Universal Orlando Resort. As announced last week, they will also have a spot at C Terminal at OIA. Per John Cheek, the owner, they are partnering with a restaurant group to bring its name and beer to OIA in September. The airport spot will be called Orlando Brewing Bar & Bites.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-brewing-new-location-20220601-2bhcnug24nbcpew7fksqyxbydm-story.html

I fully support this.

That spot has been empty for about 5 years.  I think they're overstating the walking traffic on that portion of I-Drive, but its still close enough and has trolley locations that they'll definitely get more traffic.  It's right in front of a hotel and 4 minute walk from a bunch of timeshares.  It's an "easy" enough location to get to for people from Orlando, so regulars still could easily get there if they so choose.

And most importantly ITS STILL IN THE CITY OF ORLANDO.

Honestly, their beer is so mediocre, I don't know anyone that drinks it.  But it fills a niche.  Makes me think of Sin City Brewery in Vegas.  You'll get out of towners that don't know any better and will stop by.

Seems like a win for everyone.

16 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I fully support this.

That spot has been empty for about 5 years.  I think they're overstating the walking traffic on that portion of I-Drive, but its still close enough and has trolley locations that they'll definitely get more traffic.  It's right in front of a hotel and 4 minute walk from a bunch of timeshares.  It's an "easy" enough location to get to for people from Orlando, so regulars still could easily get there if they so choose.

Honestly, their beer is so mediocre, I don't know anyone that drinks it.  But it fills a niche.  Makes me think of Sin City Brewery in Vegas.  You'll get out of towners that don't know any better and will stop by.

Agree with this. I honestly don't care where they operate because I'm just never going to drink their beer. There are dozens of better options locally so let the tourists have it and I hope it works for them.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, AmIReal said:

On 6/3/2022 at 10:46 AM, AndyPok1 said:

I fully support this.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

Agree with this. I honestly don't care where they operate because I'm just never going to drink their beer. There are dozens of better options locally so let the tourists have it and I hope it works for them.

Good for them.  Their beer has sucked for several years now.  The parking is awful and extremely dangerous.  The road is a nightmare of potholes & projectiles.  

I wish them all the success in the world with the tourists.  It's a win all around.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Now that they’ve kicked out all the Bishop Moore kids, look who wins the Scott J Foodster Award for Best Pizza - Tornatore’s!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/6076-2022-best-pizza-foodster-award

Now if @HankStrongcan just get all those kids off his lawn <eg>!

My neighbors had a bounce house birthday party last weekend.  It was horrid.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HankStrong said:

My neighbors had a bounce house birthday party last weekend.  It was horrid.

When we moved into our neighborhood 20 years ago we were the young(ish)  people...our kids were in high school so we weren't THAT young but still a lot younger than the seniors.

Now we are the seniors.  And there's a ton of young families with little ones around us. I don't remember our kids screaming constantly like our back fence neighbors kids do. :tw_rage:

And don't get me started on the golf cart nonsense with 12 year olds behind the wheel!

• Like 2

Michelin Stars announced:

”Four  Orlando-area restaurants – Capa, Kadence, Knife & Spoon and Soseki – were each awarded a Michelin Star at Thursday night’s highly anticipated reveal of the inaugural Michelin Guide for Miami, Orlando and Tampa. Seven other area restaurants received the Bib Gourmand distinction, recognizing “great food at a great value.” Orlando’s Bib Gourmand recipients included Bombay Street Kitchen, Domu, Papa Llama, The Ravenous Pig, The Strand, Swine & Sons and Z Asian.“

Twenty-three “plate” restaurants also got a nod from the Michelin folks, including my own longtime favorite, Maxine’s On Shine.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-food-restaurant-orlando-michelin-20220610-2sqcpwkxg5dm5l4npt4ewletty-story.html

From The Sentinel  

It seems no Tampa restaurant got a star this time although several qualified for “Bib” and “plate” designations.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Michelin Stars announced:

”Four  Orlando-area restaurants – Capa, Kadence, Knife & Spoon and Soseki – were each awarded a Michelin Star at Thursday night’s highly anticipated reveal of the inaugural Michelin Guide for Miami, Orlando and Tampa. Seven other area restaurants received the Bib Gourmand distinction, recognizing “great food at a great value.” Orlando’s Bib Gourmand recipients included Bombay Street Kitchen, Domu, Papa Llama, The Ravenous Pig, The Strand, Swine & Sons and Z Asian.“

Twenty-three “plate” restaurants also got a nod from the Michelin folks, including my own longtime favorite, Maxine’s On Shine.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-food-restaurant-orlando-michelin-20220610-2sqcpwkxg5dm5l4npt4ewletty-story.html

From The Sentinel  

It seems no Tampa restaurant got a star this time although several qualified for “Bib” and “plate” designations.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/article/michelin-star-revelation/2022-florida-michelin-stars

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/article/michelin-star-revelation/2022-florida-michelin-bib-gourmands

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/florida/orlando/restaurants  

For those of you that don't want to/can't visit the stupid Sentinel site.

I have never been to any of the 4 restaurants that received a star, although my wife has eaten at Knife & Spoon for a business event.

We have eaten at all of the Bib Gourmand locations except Bombay Street Kitchen (it's on the list) and Strand was the only one we didn't really love.  It's good.  It just wasn't us.

I was surprised that the Plate listing included about half we had been to and half we had not been to.  Among them: Se7en Bites, Maxine's On Shine, Kabooki Sushi, Pizza Bruno, Citricos, The Polite Pig, Hawkers, Black Rooster Taqueria (right off the top of my head) I'd say the only 2 there that I'd call disappointing were Polite Pig & Pizza Bruno.  I am a fan of the Petrakis restaurants with the exception of PP.  We love the Ravenous Pig and the various incarnations of Swine & Sons/Cask & Larder/the beer garden which have evolved over the years.  PP just doesn't do it for us.  Don't even get me started on Pizza Bruno.  From the holier-than-thou attitude of the staff to the poor restaurant to the  over-hyped pizza it's a solid NO from us.  I have no need or desire to be hated for being a customer.

ETA: my saying "it's on the list" meaning our list to visit.

Edited by HankStrong

Not at all surprised that steakhouses and omakase joints dominated.

Really happy for Capa because friend has run the place for the last few years and shes a rock star.

Collantes was supposed to do my wedding but Soseki caused him to cancel so good for him, hes a nice guy .

The Bib list though is just so bizarre to me.  Z Asian is the only restaurant I've had to walk out of in Orlando, just the worst experience.  The Strand is excellent to me, prob fav restaurant going.

I don't want to link anything because there is a lot of doxing going on in the info and I'm not cool with that.

HOWEVER, there is a ton of drama going on with a local woman (oddly a small business owner herself who is attacking another small business) and the local Viet-Cajun restaurant in the Mills/50 area called King Cajun Crawfish.  The woman is on video making some full-on racist comments and behaving in a stereotypical Karen-rant way.  She's 100% in the wrong for that.  But it has grown to be quite the local drama.  KCC then used her customer info to find out that she owns a business in town and blasted that info out.  I'm torn because Shrimpy Karen needs to be on blast for her awful behavior, but when a business doxes someone they better be 100% sure that's the right person and that person is bad.

Thus I just give you the basic details instead of links.  It's on all the social media platforms, as well as Reddit, and has been picked up by local news.

Edited by HankStrong

2 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I don't want to link anything because there is a lot of doxing going on in the info and I'm not cool with that.

HOWEVER, there is a ton of drama going on with a local woman (oddly a small business owner herself who is attacking another small business) and the local Viet-Cajun restaurant in the Mills/50 area called King Cajun Crawfish.  The woman is on video making some full-on racist comments and behaving in a stereotypical Karen-rant way.  She's 100% in the wrong for that.  But it has grown to be quite the local drama.  KCC then used her customer info to find out that she owns a business in town and blasted that info out.  I'm torn because Shrimpy Karen needs to be blast for her awful behavior, but when a business doxes someone they better be 100% sure that's the right person and that person is bad.

Thus I just give you the basic details instead of links.  It's on all the social media platforms, as well as Reddit, and has been picked up by local news.

Oh my. I always have liked KCC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh my. I always have liked KCC.

Other than blasting her business, I'm fully on KCC's side of this from the video.  I just hope it's the right person they blasted.  The woman in the video was horrible and should be very ashamed & embarrassed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amy at The Sentinel says awesome ‘cue is to be had in Casselberry (of course it’s in a Shell station!)

Divine intervention fans the flames of Joe’s Holy Smoke BBQ in Casselberry | Review 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-joes-holy-smoke-bbq-review-food-restaurant-orlando-amy-drew-thompson-20220623-mprptbrfyveengfym46jpqpdue-story.html

As @AndyPok1has often pointed out, Scott J can be a very critical critic in his reviews. So it’s  amazing to see him just gushing with praise about a new Mexican spot out in Avalon Park - The 1 Cantina:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/65-mexican/6091-the-1-cantina

It’s serious Mexican  - not a burrito, fajita or flour tortilla to be seen. The Jalapeño Margarita also sounds intriguing.

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As @AndyPok1has often pointed out, Scott J can be a very critical critic in his reviews. So it’s  amazing to see him just gushing with praise about a new Mexican spot out in Avalon Park - The 1 Cantina:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/65-mexican/6091-the-1-cantina

It’s serious Mexican  - not a burrito, fajita or flour tortilla to be seen. The Jalapeño Margarita also sounds intriguing.

It's not super duper new.  I went there several months ago and thought it had been open for a while then.  It was really good, though.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:46 AM, HankStrong said:

HOWEVER, there is a ton of drama going on with a local woman (oddly a small business owner herself who is attacking another small business) and the local Viet-Cajun restaurant in the Mills/50 area called King Cajun Crawfish.  The woman is on video making some full-on racist comments and behaving in a stereotypical Karen-rant way.  She's 100% in the wrong for that.  But it has grown to be quite the local drama.  KCC then used her customer info to find out that she owns a business in town and blasted that info out.  I'm torn because Shrimpy Karen needs to be on blast for her awful behavior, but when a business doxes someone they better be 100% sure that's the right person and that person is bad.

More on this from the Sentinel:

Viral video of racist incident at Mills 50 restaurant reflects rising anti-Asian abuse
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-ne-racist-rant-graffiti-orlando-restaurant-salon-20220626-zkkkj2n2sbanhmxlghf3gvu2hu-story.html

It appears that, among other things, it’s leading the local AAPI community to band together for support and to weigh in on local political issues. The first meeting’s coming up at the SoE office in Beautiful Downtown SoDo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The revolving door that are the Mills Park restaurants has turned again, with the closing of Too Much Sauce:

https://bungalower.com/2022/06/26/too-much-sauce-in-mills-park-has-closed/

From Bungalower 

I saw a comment stating that naming your restaurant after a complaint was a bold strategy and one that apparently did not pay off for them.  References to Cotton and dodging wrenches are implied.

• Like 1