Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 2 weeks later...

Scott J has announced the winners of the Foodster Award for Best Tacos 2022:

Tuesday seems to be an appropriate day to announce that Marita’s Latin Bites is the winner of the 2022 Best Tacos Foodster Award for Independent Restaurants. Black Rooster Taqueria was voted second with Hunger Street Tacos only a few votes behind.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/foodster-awards/past-winners/6165-2022-best-tacos

Hurry on out and grab your taco before they bow away with Ian!

Edited by spenser1058

Did you know?

”Here’s something that previously escaped my notice: Earl Enterprises now includes TooJay’s among its list of brands. The Florida based delicatessen restaurant had filed for bankruptcy protection during the pandemic.”

From Scott J

Of course, even Robert Earl can’t make TooJay’s compare to Ronnie’s! *sigh*

Woohoo! OG has reversed course and brought back the Never Ending Pasta Bowl for the first time since COVID got here (yes, Virginia, it’s more expensive now).

Since we’re going all retro and stuff, can we have the OG over Church St. back? (I know, but it’s nice to dream…)

Olive Garden brings back Never Ending Pasta Bowl for first time since pandemic
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-olive-garden-never-ending-pasta-20221010-6jsy6djxhve3liconk7kb3okt4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

While we’re at it, does anyone else miss The Old Spaghetti Factory on Pine St.? (It seems there are still forty of them left - who knew!?!) 

https://www.osf.com/

Edited by spenser1058

@AndyPok1mentioned a while back about the hidden gems like Goff’s that newcomers to town often have no clue about.

I was reading about another trendy new place opening in WG that will have oysters at a rather dear price. 

That’s certainly fine but being a good ol’ boy from the orange groves with regular trips to NSB, I was raised eating my oysters by the bucketful, not to mention with a bottle of cold beer as soon as I was old enough to sneak one <eg>.

Such places are hard to come by in Orlando these days, but the original I’m pleased to report is alive and well despite the flooding in  Orlo Vista.

Lee & Rick’s ain’t pretty, as Sam Behr would have said (since Sam was Jewish, I’m not sure if he passed on the shellfish). Anyway, as it has passed down in the family (also still the original!), they’ve gussied it up a bit but you could be forgiven for mostly thinking it’s a dive.

Nevertheless, for buckets of oysters on the half shell (you’ll watch them shucking them behind the concrete bar right in front of you) and for bottles of ice cold beer, it’s still the best in town for the price.

And, they’ve been around forever, which isn’t something that happens very much in the sea of tourists just a few miles down Kirkman Rd. from them.

Going back to 1950, they’re only 3 years behind La Cantina. Unlike Linda’s, though, they never moved. Arguably, that makes them the oldest in town in the same spot.

Edited by spenser1058

Since I moved to Orlando in the mid-90s I have been “Downtown” to the bone. For a long time it was a touchstone place of inspiration and community. When we were creating The Courtesy there was no other location we would even consider. Woefully, Downtown is a very different place now and we needed to find a space that fits our well-oiled concept and clientele. Fortunately, that’s exactly what we did.” 

– GENE ZIMMERMAN, OWNER

And so, the Courtesy Bar moves to Winter Park:

https://bungalower.com/2022/10/12/the-courtesy-bar-is-now-open-in-winter-park/

From The Bungalower 

I remember feeling that way about downtown. Funny how an administration ignoring (or worse, turning it over to those who only care about profit, most of whom then leave town) the very core of the city’s soul for more than a decade are shocked (shocked!) when it all falls apart.

I guess it’s good other towns in the region took another path and are prospering like never before. It’s a shame, though, because Orlando is “My Hometown” (thanks to The Boss).

https://youtu.be/77gKSp8WoRg

Edited by spenser1058

Steve Spurrier’s Gridiron Grill, which has been a huge hit in its first year in Hogtown, has folks asking if there will be more locations.

The Head Ball Coach, talking with Bianchi at 96.9 The Game, says they may look at expanding after another year or so.

Bianchi lobbied for Orlando but Coach Spurdog mentioned Columbia, SC (which would give him a place to put all his Gamecock trophies) and Tampa (arguably the largest pro-Gator metro).

If Orlando does make the list at some point, I sure hope we can snag a spot in town instead of Restaurant Row, where most of the expense account crowd will have only a vague notion of the Coach’s importance to Florida football.

Another changing of the guard at a Central Florida classic. Enzo’s On the Lake, an upscale dining experience (in Casselberry - who knew?) since 1980 , has been sold:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6184-enzo-s-on-the-lake-has-been-sold?fbclid=IwAR3oiJef-ttah6zfs-IY23c1ZS6bUNpUf9iqoo6XoQ5GrQTnijlxRrIWeXc&mvtoken=82356857730000&webview=trb-wv-ios-v6.6.6

From Scott J

Of course, I joke about Casselberry but that odd juxtaposition is nothing compared to Chris’ House of Beef. It started out at the Hilton on W Colonial when it was one of the better places to stay in town. Eventually, he built an even more posh restaurant w/banquet rooms around the corner and, since it was close to many of the regulars in Spring Lake and Country Club sections, it worked.

While they stayed in their gated communities, however, snug as a bug in a rug, out on the Highway the neighborhood was sliding. Before long, just about everyone going by The House of Beef was understandably confused about the location. As you might expect, the end was nigh. 

Nevertheless, the Miliotes family has moved on and done well at spots like Disney Springs.

I did a quick search of the forums and didn't see anything on the Kissimmee World Food Trucks.  Maybe it's tucked somewhere where I wouldn't think to find it?  https://www.worldfoodtrucks.com/

First, has anyone been?  It's across from Old Town in what used to be a super tacky t-shirt and mega-souvenir shop.  It appears that they have actually made it 100x more tacky, but added food trucks and a machine gun shooting range.  If I'm being honest, I don't really like heading to the tourist district.  I'm interested, though, in the food offerings.

Second, I recently read that they are going from about 60 permanent food trucks to around 110-120 food trucks.  Having over a 100 food choices is just insane, but in the best way.  

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I did a quick search of the forums and didn't see anything on the Kissimmee World Food Trucks.  Maybe it's tucked somewhere where I wouldn't think to find it?  https://www.worldfoodtrucks.com/

First, has anyone been?  It's across from Old Town in what used to be a super tacky t-shirt and mega-souvenir shop.  It appears that they have actually made it 100x more tacky, but added food trucks and a machine gun shooting range.  If I'm being honest, I don't really like heading to the tourist district.  I'm interested, though, in the food offerings.

Second, I recently read that they are going from about 60 permanent food trucks to around 110-120 food trucks.  Having over a 100 food choices is just insane, but in the best way.  

I haven't been, but fwiw from the Foodie Forum "The thing about that spot is that 90% of trucks are Puerto Rican and Dominican, and they offer almost the exact same items all around. So if you want variety of choices, this is not the place to go. But the Avofuel truck is pretty good and there's also a Latin Sushi truck that's really good."

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I haven't been, but fwiw from the Foodie Forum "The thing about that spot is that 90% of trucks are Puerto Rican and Dominican, and they offer almost the exact same items all around. So if you want variety of choices, this is not the place to go. But the Avofuel truck is pretty good and there's also a Latin Sushi truck that's really good."

In the interim between my post and seeing yours I spoke to a co-worker who lives in Kissimmee.  He also happens to be of Puerto Rican descent.  He said the same thing.  He said he doesn't go there because it was like the same 5 food trucks repeated 10x each.

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@prahabohemeis usually the one who keeps us up on Kissimmee doings but I guess this one got past him.

Generally, I avoid Irlo’s Abomination of Urban Planning like the plague but 100 food trucks does sound intriguing…

I haven't really focused much attention on W192 when it comes to my interest in how Osceola County is developing. 

I'm much more interested in anything from Shingle Creek to the Turnpike (essentially DTK, NeoCity, trails, etc).

• Thanks 1

Rise Southern Biscuits and Righteous Chicken will be opening up in Winter Park. Saw another article saying they already have a 2nd location picked out in Downtown and a 3rd in Oviedo with the goal of having 20 in 5 years. 

Had it in Nashville last year and I am EXCITED. We may have tons of fried chicken, but the more the merrier...add in biscuits and I'm sold. 

https://bungalower.com/2022/11/02/southern-biscuits-and-righteous-chicken-joining-the-cock-block-flock/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to the Hall at the Yard last night for my company's Christmas party.  It is a really nice venue.  Top notch interior, finishes and furniture, versatile space planning, and food was great.  Probably a bit more high end/high price than I am used to, LOL, but I would recommend! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...