Noneck_08

North Carolina Intercity Rail Transit

Discovered that the Charlotte coach yard is  making good progress (for a project that was scheduled to be complete two years ago). 

The crew / security building looks pretty nice IRL (especially compared to the current station)

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

The Palm Beach paper has a story about Brightline service opening this weekend. In it they quote a parent company official who says that Brightline is examining additional passenger corridors in Texas, Georgia and North Carolina. They specifically mention an Atlanta-Charlotte service.

No other details about the possibble new service  are provided in the story. Orluz has mentioned the possibility of Brightline interest in NC here before, but I believe this is the first discussion of North Carolina by Brightline officials.

https://amp.tcpalm.com/amp/1017612001

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

CSX has announced that they are shopping about 1/3 of their network to interested buyers. They explicitly mention "large sections of the Florence Subdivision" as track that is on the market. I would think that NCDOT / NCRR could pick up the tracks between Goldsboro and Wallace pretty cheaply (I'll bet Wendell Murphy is the last freight customer on the route). The state would then control all of the passenger tracks between Charlotte and Wilmington.

The Raleigh to Norlina tracks also seem like a useful purchase.

Its a shame that the NCGA will certainly scoff at this opportunity.

If the list of potential sales is actually a 'sell or abandon' list then the state may also need to step in to preserve rail service to the port of Wilmington.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/01/22-csx-reviewing-8000-miles-of-rail-lines-for-potential-sale

Edited by kermit

The 76 had five coaches plus combi today -- same length as the Carolinian (and no big events in Charlotte today).  I think weekend traffic has really taken off over the past few months.

the acting director of the NCDOT rail division says the new Piedmont frequency begins in "June"

• Like 1

My family and I took the train from Charlotte to Raleigh this weekend. We took the Carolinian to Raleigh on Saturday and the Piedmont back to Charlotte on Sunday. I have taken the train to Raleigh before and really enjoyed it but it has always been on the Carolinian. The Carolinian was completely packed by the time we reached Greensboro. I was most excited though for an opportunity to ride the Piedmont. It was very nice! The windows are huge and much bigger than those on the standard Amtrak rolling stock so you really get to see a lot. The interior was very nice as were the seats. They had 3 coach cars but were only using two, divided between those traveling to Charlotte and those getting off at other stops. Both of them were almost completely full!

Raleigh's new Union Station looks incredible and we are definitely planning a trip back to see it once it is open, hopefully on the 3rd Piedmont.  

Edited by Scoopbth
  • Like 1

Looks like the Piedmont trains are now (since the frequency increase) running with three coaches (plus combi) rather than the previous normal of two.

• Like 1

[crossposted in Charlotte Gateway Station (sorry)]

Interesting story from the Greenville Business Magazine today on efforts to encourage / promote / plan corridor rail service in SC. Aparently their is a state legislator from Charleston who is attempting to get a study bill passed.  The plans talk about sketches to connect Greenville, Columbia and Charleston to Charlotte (with the implication being that Charlotte to Atlanta service would have a spur to Charleston via Columbia (likely in Spartanburg), although it would likely be much cheaper to run the Charleston branch CLT-Columbia-Charleston).

Anyway the article is realistic enough to admit that any state funding for such a service is unrealistic (at best) and to also show that SC legislators have no conception about the financial returns generated by rail. Nevertheless it is encouraging to hear that plans are at least being discussed.

http://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2018/07/05/176443/high-speed-rail-inches-forward

Not (yet) NC related:

Brightline has announced that they have purchased XpressWest, a company that was attempting to build a passenger rail corridor from LA (western LA County actually)  to Las Vegas. This is news for NC passenger rail because it indicates that Brightline's business model in Florida is doing well enough that they can think about expansion into other corridors. Atlanta to Charlotte has been frequently mentioned by Brightline as a corridor of interest. Granted it will be much easier to build a new ROW between Las Vegas and western Los Angeles county than through the upland Piedmont, but it is encouraging to see that Brightline is pushing into new corridors.

http://press.gobrightline.com/showPressRelease/100055086

• Like 2