Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

Today is a very exciting day indeed for the city of Atlanta. Atlantic Station has finally opened to the public after years of waiting. According to people who live there, it does indeed deliver everything it said it would, good praise no doubt for such a huge project that has been called "a city within a city".

From 11Alive.com

So, anyone here have thoughts on it? Anyone actually go to its grand opening or went in the days soon after?

And for you shoppers out there, here's an interesting list of what can be found there.

^Among those are Dillard's (don't forget the shoes! It has one of the largest shoe departments in the entire Dillard's chain), Victoria's Secret, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, and an interesting place that we can thank Lil Bow Wow's Mom for, Taste Clothing Boutique.

Just don't forget that there's only two hours of parking. You've got to pay $14 for seven hours or more. Of course, MARTA bus service from the Arts Center is always nice. :)

Any thoughts on the development?

http://www.atlanticstation.com/

Moderator's Edit:

Ironchapman, thank you so very much for starting this thread. I decided to rename it and pin it for future discussion of the massive Atlantic Station development.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just don't forget that there's only two hours of parking. You've got to pay $14 for seven hours or more. Of course, MARTA bus service from the Arts Center is always nice. :)

Any thoughts on the development?

http://www.atlanticstation.com/

I believe parking is going to be totally free during grand opening week.

Anyways we needed an Atlantic Station thread

AJC: Atlantic Station's set for taste of Hollywood

That '70s Show" actors and investors in hip Hollywood eateries Ashton Kutcher, Wilmer Valderrama, Danny Masterson and Laura Prepon are bringing their three hotspots to Atlanta.

Buzz has learned that the Dolce Group has inked a deal to debut Atlanta versions of their celebrity-attracting Geisha House Japanese restaurant in Hollywood; Dolce, their swank Los Angeles classic Italian eatery; and Kingpin, a high-end bowling club and cocktail lounge. All three will bow in Atlantic Station in early 2006.

There is already a banner up at the Geisha House spot.

Thank you Ironchapman for starting this thread. I will pin this thread and rename it Atlantic Station for all furture discussions on this massive project.

Well, you're welcome. Seems kind of fitting that this becomes the thread to discuss Atlantic Station, although I must say that was not my original intention for the thread (not that I have a problem with it :) it's good to see it come of some use other than just a thread about its opening.).

What else is on the horizon for Atlantic Station? New devlopments, etc.

A few dumb questions about Atlantic Station. In the buildings where the ATL Lofts are located, are the lofts only on the top floor, or are they on some of the lower floors, too? Also, what is the price range on them? I was halfway toying with the idea of getting one if there are any available.

I was also wondering if there is more to come in Atlantic Station in tbe immediate future. Or are they built out for the time being?

I don't know if this has been posted yet buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut,

Get your bows and arrows ready and aim for the TARGET!

Yeap, you've guessed it. Target is coming to Atlantic Station.

Target is planning to open a 150,000-square-foot store in the new Atlantic Station development in Midtown in March 2007.

The store will be located between 18th and 20th streets, adjacent to the retail district, which officially opened today.

Read article here:

Target is coming!

A few dumb questions about Atlantic Station. In the buildings where the ATL Lofts are located, are the lofts only on the top floor, or are they on some of the lower floors, too? Also, what is the price range on them? I was halfway toying with the idea of getting one if there are any available.

I was also wondering if there is more to come in Atlantic Station in tbe immediate future. Or are they built out for the time being?

I noticed on some of the buildings, there are balconies on three or four levels. I also remember that they advertised these extremely high ceiling so they're probably all two level lofts and the price range I believe started in the 300's. Heres the website http://atlofts.com/

Hollywood, you say, Martinman? Mmmmm...I'm excited! :D

Great pictures of ACS thanks for posting them.

For more pics of ACS, here's some that Newnan Eric posted in the Atlanta Photo Thread.

I hope I can make it to ACS sometime this weekend.

Yeah Ive never seen "Thats 70's show" but of course I know Ashton Kutcher. I did just recently see (can't remember where) a TV story about the Geisha House restaurant in LA.

More than likely Martinman you were watching Punk'd or one of his others. Oh and about the Target.....I am kind of dissapointed and happy at the same time. This should've been placed in Midtown and the developers said they wouldn't allow places (Wal-Mart) to run other people out of business. Meaning the little guy in A-S. But, I am also happy that Atlanta gets its 2nd urban Target....I beleive. :huh:

Well, I've been working at the Wachovia Building for over a year at Atlantic Station. I must say, when we first moved in there, we were wondering if they could pull it off. I went there today at lunch, and I must say that it looks great. There was a festive atmosphere, people walking around, very nice shopping and restaurants. It would be a great place for Christmas shopping. Would love to move there, but would need to find a good school for my child, and I wouldn't say that this would be the best place for kids. I think it is a great idea for people who work close by. I wonder if people will actually drive there regularly for shopping, though. Traffic has gotten a lot worse there in the last couple of weeks. Yes, the first 2 hours of parking are free, with a max of $14/day, I believe. Just be careful in the parking decks -- at least where I park, there are "cross-streets" and sometimes people don't watch where they're going. There are also cross-walks on the streets -- but sometimes people are so busy on their cellphones or looking at the stores, they're not watching for pedestrians. Overall, I think AS is a great idea.

I noticed on some of the buildings, there are balconies on three or four levels. I also remember that they advertised these extremely high ceiling so they're probably all two level lofts and the price range I believe started in the 300's. Heres the website http://atlofts.com/

Martinman, thanks. I had scoured the website earlier but couldn't find anything about price or exactly where the condos are located. I'm guessing they are in the shed-like structures on top of the stores.

I met some friends down there this evening for drinks and we walked all over the whole complex. Very cool. I was also surprised at how accessible it was -- I left my place near Lenox and was literally standing outside the Regal theatre in exactly ten minutes.

Well, ACS's opening was vvery well received, apparently, but then agian, most ofus uessed it would be. Some say it harkens back tothe days of old when Lenox first opened in the 1950's...

Supporters of the project say it could become Atlanta's latest great tourist destination...any thoughts on this?

ACS Opens to Fanfare (AJC)

Supporters of the project say it could become Atlanta's latest great tourist destination...any thoughts on this?
I will have to say the shopping and dining itself is not all that different from what you find in many other places. What's cool, however, is the feeling that you are walking down a city street where people might actually live and work, rather than simply traversing a parking lot or entering a sterile enclosed mall.

One thing I wondered about a little is the parking situation. Last night they had tons of attendants on duty to move traffic and the parking fee was waived. I'm sure tourists will be fine with paying to park but I'm not sure how locals will adapt.

Martinman, thanks. I had scoured the website earlier but couldn't find anything about price or exactly where the condos are located. I'm guessing they are in the shed-like structures on top of the stores.

I met some friends down there this evening for drinks and we walked all over the whole complex. Very cool. I was also surprised at how accessible it was -- I left my place near Lenox and was literally standing outside the Regal theatre in exactly ten minutes.

The six buildings in the center, around the little square have the lofts. Retail/offices will only be in the bottom two levels and the rest is for the lofts. I think it would be really cool to live there.

I think if they come up with better transit/shuttles to the rest of the city it will extremely popular with intowners.

Ashton Kutcher's group does open great restaurants. They're not French Laundry, but they're all winners.

Women's Wear Daily has an article yesterday's paper about mixed use development. The article is mostly about Atlantic Station. I can't repost the article and WWD is subcriber-only. If anyone would like to read it, page me with an email address. I'll send you a text copy. :)

The six buildings in the center, around the little square have the lofts. Retail/offices will only be in the bottom two levels and the rest is for the lofts. I think it would be really cool to live there.

I think if they come up with better transit/shuttles to the rest of the city it will extremely popular with intowners.

I for one believe that the Atlantic Station complex is the best development that Atlanta has seen in over a decade. It is a model of mixed use at its finest. One can only hope that Atlanta can leap frog from this project to another just like it to help promote infill develpment in the CBD and Midtown area.

This is the way Atlanta should have been developing all along.

I think that the momentum of this project can go a long way for planners and developers alike. Instead of ploppoing down another 20-30 story office building outside of the perimiter, 10 miles from the CBD, and another strip mall way out in places like Buford and Lawrenceville, Atlanta should focus on its core strentgths and build on the success of AS by developing more land WITHIN the perimiter.

My hope is that in the future Atlanta can "connect the dots", instead of scattering more development North Gerogia from 75 and, 285, and 85N. I think we all need to focus on getting gov't bodies to make this TOP priority.

As for the AS. I love it. I would live there. Five years ago, you would never find me in that area of town, but now that side of town is hopping as is Midtown. Now if they can just get the CBD going, Atlanta will finally be in business.

On a side note, the denser the city core the better the traffic. This can go a long way in saving the environment as well as have Atlanta kept in check with their Interstates and major arteries, commonly reffered to Parking lots.

:)

A2

Well, I've been working at the Wachovia Building for over a year at Atlantic Station. I must say, when we first moved in there, we were wondering if they could pull it off. I went there today at lunch, and I must say that it looks great. There was a festive atmosphere, people walking around, very nice shopping and restaurants. It would be a great place for Christmas shopping. Would love to move there, but would need to find a good school for my child, and I wouldn't say that this would be the best place for kids. I think it is a great idea for people who work close by. I wonder if people will actually drive there regularly for shopping, though. Traffic has gotten a lot worse there in the last couple of weeks. Yes, the first 2 hours of parking are free, with a max of $14/day, I believe. Just be careful in the parking decks -- at least where I park, there are "cross-streets" and sometimes people don't watch where they're going. There are also cross-walks on the streets -- but sometimes people are so busy on their cellphones or looking at the stores, they're not watching for pedestrians. Overall, I think AS is a great idea.

I'm not sure what school district AS is in, I do know that right across the interstate, kids would attend Morningside Elem, Inman Middle, and Grady High. All three of these schools are great schools. Grady's average SAT score was over 1100. That rivals anything you would find in the burbs.

On a different subject, I went to AS over the weekend, and although I seems to work, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was walking around Disney World. That, all along, was my only criticism of AS; that it would end up being an urban amusement park.

I'm not sure what school district AS is in, I do know that right across the interstate, kids would attend Morningside Elem, Inman Middle, and Grady High. All three of these schools are great schools. Grady's average SAT score was over 1100. That rivals anything you would find in the burbs.

On a different subject, I went to AS over the weekend, and although I seems to work, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was walking around Disney World. That, all along, was my only criticism of AS; that it would end up being an urban amusement park.

I agree. But it is still a heck of a lot better than Urban Sprawl. Know what I mean?

A2

:huh:

As for the AS. I love it. I would live there. Five years ago, you would never find me in that area of town...

When I was growing up the mill was still in full operation. A man down the street from us played on the Dixisteel baseball team and he was quite a celebrity.

I may be mistaken but I don't think the neighborhood ever really went down all that far.

When I was growing up the mill was still in full operation. A man down the street from us played on the Dixisteel baseball team and he was quite a celebrity.

I may be mistaken but I don't think the neighborhood ever really went down all that far.

I agree to some extent. But I guess I might have been to vague. It was never THAT bad. I was just trying to suggest I would have never moved there, since at the time Buckhead was where it was at. Now the place has had a re-birth of sorts. With Georgia Tech right around the corner and Midtown in a mini boom of its own this area is only going to get better. Again I apologize for coming across like the area was really the dumps. It wasn't. However I would not go as far to say that Downtwon in the CBD was great. It still strugles, but that hopefully will slowly improve in time.

A2

Archived