Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

Has anyone considered that Millenium Gate was [indended] to look outstanding? It's not a large structure. And, I can't imagine that it would manage be monumental were it to blend with its surroundings.

It's a monument. Monuments impose. To impose is to stand out. To stand out is, in fact, to not fit in.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding would have been great but this thing is a bad EPCOT replica of something else, somewhere else and for a city with a different history. Outstanding for me would have to include 'unique' yet reflective of the cities past, present and show some kind of hope for its future. The arch does none of these things for me in regards to Atlanta.

Outstanding would have been great but this thing is a bad EPCOT replica of something else, somewhere else and for a city with a different history. Outstanding for me would have to include 'unique' yet reflective of the cities past, present and show some kind of hope for its future. The arch does none of these things for me in regards to Atlanta.

All of the monuments at the National Mall fit their context AND stand out. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, this should have been placed in an area that has more of a tourist presence, i.e. downtown.

I just really don't see where all the negativity is coming from. It's a monument. In a city of millions. Over thousands of square miles. 30 years from now, maybe Atlantic Station will be the ideal location for this monument and Centenial Park will not. Geez, at least someone had the foresight and funding to put up something. In my mind, something is better than nothing. No matter how iconic, ideal, perfect, imperfect, or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone is 100% entitled to their opinion, but some view their opinion as entitlement. Me personally, as a native Atlantan and someone who knows absolutely nothing about urban development or architecture, I think it's fine. Heck, the design of the 17th street bridge ticks me off more than the look and placement of any monument does :( .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A recent article concerning AIG contained some statistics on what's been completed thus far at AS. The master plan calls for six million sf of class A office space, two million sf of retail 5,000 residences and 1,000 hotel rooms.

Residential

2,600 residential units - 95% occupied

Retail

1.3 million sf of retail - 93% leased

Office Space

171 17th, 500,000 sf - 100% leased

201 17th, 350,000 sf - 50% leased

271 17th, 500,000 sf - 50 % pre-leased

Other than the ground level of future buildings, the land next to Dillards that's currently used for special events could hold a significant amount of retail. I could see a mid-sized box or two going there such as a Borders or an electronics store. If I remember correctly, they would like to put a hotel on that site as well.

asds3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the Atlantic:

***DISCLAIMER*** I do not and have never worked for Novare Group or any of it subsideries.

I will try to be as brief as possible.

If you are interested in a choice unit at the Atlantic then you better hurry. I had an appoinment yesterday and many of the choice units (those above the 30th floor) have "strong" contracts on them. We were interested in an east facing penthouse. We waited too late. All this talk of a housing downturn have not stopped many. The developer is very willing to work with those who would combine units. If you are amongst those and are willing to have a north and more westerly facing unit, you must hurry before the walls start to go up. We (really I because my husband's flight was delayed so I went by myself) were quote a nice price for a combined unit on the 45th floor. Unfortunately it's not the view we want...although it is nice.

The amenties offered with the Atlantic is on par with many buildings in the Buckhead market. We have looked there but wanted the Atlantic because of the walkability of the area. I also have children and a dog so it has to be pet and children friendly. I liked the fact that there will be white cloth dining on the lobby floor. One of my concerns were the lack of neighborhood amenties when compared to the buildings in Buckhead. There are 27+ restuarants within four blocks of the Soveriegn. Over time, there are plans to bring the entire Atlantic Station development in line with amenties for most price points. A nice touch is that there will be a golf cart that will take you to the other side of 17th street via an underground tunnel...you know...when it's rainy or really hot. You can still go to all the amenties in the district without looking wretched. I also loved the pool and clubhouse amenities. HOA fees will be about $ 0.35 per square foot. In line with other buildings in Buckhead.

Per the agent and an in house architect (for those who would be combining units together), the space next to the Atlantic is slated for a 22 story building. Also, I was told that per an agreement with Wachovia (I hope that it's still valid), that no building to the south of it would be tall enough to block the Wachovia sign on the Wachovia building. That would mean that any westerly facing unit on the 30th floor and above would have protected views.

Many of the southern and eastern facing units on the 30th floor and above are nearly all under contract. The fit and finish seem to be much better than even the Gallery. Novare is really moving up the scale with the Atlantic. From what I was told, Novare is even allowing some of the same finishings from the Ritz building to be substituted in the Atlantic. Of course you will pay for it but who cares. I would rather have what I want than some standard accessories I would wind up replacing anyway. In other words, fit and finish will be better than the mock up you see at the sales center. I would put that in line with the Sovereign. If we hurry, we will even get $100,000 in builder's allowance. Novare and AIG are really trying to move all of the units. Many of the penthouse units are being customized above Novare's allowances.

Oh yeah, before I go, The Atlantic is fully funded so there is no need to worry. Sales have been in line with expectations so there is no need to worry about it going rental either. If you choose your unit before 80% buildout, you have the choice of gas or electric. I prefer gas so that was important to me. For those who are seriously considering purchasing in the Atlantic, the pricepoint (per square footage), the views and walkability of the neighborhood, the Atlantic seems hard to beat. We are still flip flopping between Buckhead and Midtown. If we could get an easterly facing unit, we would be quite happy.

The moral of the post...the Atlantic is selling quite well in this market. We may have waited to late to get the unit we really wanted but for what it offers in amenities, the price, neighborhood walkability and convenience...we may have to get accustomed to looking at Buckhead from a distance and Kennesaw mountain. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Cirque du Soleil returns to Atlantic Station Jan.2 to Feb. 22, 2009

header_kooza_news.jpg

KOOZA tells the story of The Innocent, a melancholy loner in search of his place in the world.

KOOZA is a return to the origins of Cirque du Soleil: It combines two circus traditions -- acrobatic performance and the art of clowning.

Jan.2 to Feb. 22, 2009 in Atlantic Station

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived