Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one believe that the Atlantic Station complex is the best development that Atlanta has seen in over a decade. It is a model of mixed use at its finest. One can only hope that Atlanta can leap frog from this project to another just like it to help promote infill develpment in the CBD and Midtown area.

This is the way Atlanta should have been developing all along.

I think that the momentum of this project can go a long way for planners and developers alike. Instead of ploppoing down another 20-30 story office building outside of the perimiter, 10 miles from the CBD, and another strip mall way out in places like Buford and Lawrenceville, Atlanta should focus on its core strentgths and build on the success of AS by developing more land WITHIN the perimiter.

My hope is that in the future Atlanta can "connect the dots", instead of scattering more development North Gerogia from 75 and, 285, and 85N. I think we all need to focus on getting gov't bodies to make this TOP priority.

As for the AS. I love it. I would live there. Five years ago, you would never find me in that area of town, but now that side of town is hopping as is Midtown. Now if they can just get the CBD going, Atlanta will finally be in business.

On a side note, the denser the city core the better the traffic. This can go a long way in saving the environment as well as have Atlanta kept in check with their Interstates and major arteries, commonly reffered to Parking lots.

:)

A2

Atlantic station will have a huge impact on the city and does street level retail very, very well but I would easily consider Glennwood park the best development in the city. Its farther away from the city core and obviously on a much smaller scale but unlike AS, few have been able to find fault with Glennwood park. It is simply a beautiful neighborhood that beautifully exhibits the principles of new urbanism. I can't wait until its finished so that we can see pics of the completed project. Hopefully, George Brewer has many more projects on the drawing board.

rendering.jpg

^ Great point, ESPECIALLY Ponce Park, I was reviewing their site plan this morning & I can not believe how massive that project is. Over 1500 living units! At least two big box sized retail stores occupying space on Ponce & add more office space & two parks & this project will raise the bar just as Lindbergh Center first introduced TOD new urbanism, Glenwood Park & Inman Park Village introduced true new urbanism & Atlantic Station introduced new urbanism on a massive scale. Ponce Park is introducing extremely high densities to new urbanism, or new urbanism that will feel like classic urbanism.

One other note - what pleases me & provides at least some additional hope for Atlanta, is that 'mixed use' is no longer a buzz word. Not only in these massive projects - also including Edgewood, Lindbergh & Lindbergh / Sidney Marcus redev, but mixed use is being incorportated into the smallest projects across the city. It has become the accepted norm, if you are going to build something on a major corridor - it has to be mixed use. Just a few blocks from me on Memorial Dr is a small half acre sized lot where a 2 to 4 story condo / commercial / retail building is planned. It's the small projects that will bring needed urbanity & quality density to Atlanta, not the mega-projects. But the mega-projects are finally showing developers, from the large to the small, HOW TO DO IT!

It has become the accepted norm, if you are going to build something on a major corridor - it has to be mixed use. Just a few blocks from me on Memorial Dr is a small half acre sized lot where a 2 to 4 story condo / commercial / retail building is planned. It's the small projects that will bring needed urbanity & quality density to Atlanta, not the mega-projects. But the mega-projects are finally showing developers, from the large to the small, HOW TO DO IT!

Agreed 100% teshadoh. The skrapers are there. Now is time to fill in the gaps and do it in a smart way. I am glad someone posted those other projects. I am quite astonished at the 1500 unit project. Damn that's huge !!! :w00t:

Anywho, great things are happening in and around ATL. I am really glad that there is consensus out there in the community that it is not how big or grand a project is, but rather how benificial it is to the community at large.

A2

We rode through AS quickly Saturday as we only had a few hours in ATL in Saturday and I'm impressed with the scale of the project. The retail component, though, is incredibly boring. We were there for Ikea, but there wasn't anything else worth getting out of the car for. I can't imagine why I'd want to visit AS when visiting Atlanta if we are already going to Lenox and Phipps. I'm VERY excited about Rosa Mexicano coming, though.

I have to say that I'm more impressed with the upscale, local retail component at the much smaller North Hills in Raleigh. (this project was a replacement of a small mall and accompanying "convenience plaza".

We rode through AS quickly Saturday as we only had a few hours in ATL in Saturday and I'm impressed with the scale of the project. The retail component, though, is incredibly boring. We were there for Ikea, but there wasn't anything else worth getting out of the car for. I can't imagine why I'd want to visit AS when visiting Atlanta if we are already going to Lenox and Phipps. I'm VERY excited about Rosa Mexicano coming, though.

I have to say that I'm more impressed with the upscale, local retail component at the much smaller North Hills in Raleigh. (this project was a replacement of a small mall and accompanying "convenience plaza".

I wish the retail was better, it will be interesting how long the stores will stay and what stores will move in.

This is what people don't understand about AS. Obviously, its not worth traveling there when you can go to the Banana Republic, or Ann Taylor at your nearest mall. Atlantic station will be a destination for intown residents who currently are underserved by retail. Theres nothing comparable south of Buckhead. I think ultimately, as Midtown gets more retail options, it will be a neighborhood center primarily for those living/working in this immediate neighborhood.

I'm perfectly pleased with the retail options at Atlantic Station, they are casual moderately priced stores that my wife & I typically buy clothes at. Additionally, with the movie theater - AS is certainly convenient for intown residents.

As for some tourism factor, I think it's the design of the development & not the retail selection. If suburbanites want to shop, you are honestly better off shopping at your nearest mall. Atlantic Station is basically the intown resident's nearest mall.

• 3 weeks later...

Law Firm to move to new building in Atlantic Station

The Business Chronicle reports that Nelson Mullins will lease 100,000 sf at Atlantic Station and spur construction of a new office building there. The firm declined to move to a proposed 17-floor tower at the southeast corner of 14th and West Peachtree streets, but elected instead to move to a 12- or 14-floor mid-rise at One Market Street in Atlantic Station.

I understand when people say "why would you go to AS when you're going to go to Lenox". I have to say that yes I love Lenox but with these new 'lifestyle centers' poping up, Lenox is looking more and more like... well, a mall. Yes that is a stupid statement but really malls just can't keep up with AS or Glenwood Park. I have already decided, now that I have a choice I'm going to AS to buy mall clothes and not to any of the malls. I've already spent $400 on dress shirts at three different shops there. So to answer the why go to AS over Lenox; it's time to let Lenox Square die.

Maybe this is the end of the mall era in America??? I really think that Lenox needs to fill its parking lots in with towers, put parking under new towers, and make it a city center. They could get more money out of their realastate if Lenox becomes an urban distric rather than a semi-urban mall.

Picture the corner of Lenox and P'Tree Roads. Now imagine a gride of streets over the front parking lots creating Atlantic Station style footprints for future towers. Ahhh to dream!

I understand when people say "why would you go to AS when you're going to go to Lenox". I have to say that yes I love Lenox but with these new 'lifestyle centers' poping up, Lenox is looking more and more like... well, a mall. Yes that is a stupid statement but really malls just can't keep up with AS or Glenwood Park. I have already decided, now that I have a choice I'm going to AS to buy mall clothes and not to any of the malls. I've already spent $400 on dress shirts at three different shops there. So to answer the why go to AS over Lenox; it's time to let Lenox Square die.

Maybe this is the end of the mall era in America??? I really think that Lenox needs to fill its parking lots in with towers, put parking under new towers, and make it a city center. They could get more money out of their realastate if Lenox becomes an urban distric rather than a semi-urban mall.

Picture the corner of Lenox and P'Tree Roads. Now imagine a gride of streets over the front parking lots creating Atlantic Station style footprints for future towers. Ahhh to dream!

Thats an interesting idea about filling in the Lenox parking lot and hopefully something like that will happen as Buckhead edges toward becoming more urban. However although the popularity of malls is on the downtrend, some of them still do very well and Lenox is certainly one of them. Buckhead is a regional shopping destination, and Im talking the entire southeast, because of its malls which contain many of the most exclusive retailers in the area. Don't expect that to change anytime soon. What will change is the the intown neighborhoods develop more of its own retail options and will be supported by a rapidly growing intown population.

Dekalb's Jones saying once GM's Doraville plant shuts down, they might turn it into another Atlantic Station/Atlantic Station II was his exact words! Mayor Shirley Franklin also has plans to turn the Lakewood area into, yet again, another Atlantic Station. So many possibilities, I hope these come to be!

So let's see; Doraville GM plant, Lakewood and Fort McPherson have all been mentioned as sites for new 'Atlantic Station' style redevelopments. That's a whole lot of new development. I hope that it all happens and that they all learn from AS and try to improve upon the model and not try to duplicate it. Often when an idea is lifted from one place to the next it ends up watered down and less than stellar. Like I have said, it's an amazing time to be living in Atlanta.

UrbanATL - I live across the railroad tracks from you near Cabbagetown at Memorial Dr beside other shotgun shacks.

But I don't think we can expect all of these to be AS type developments, nor should they all be. The Doraville location should be home to major employers, Lakewood should include more residential, & Ft McPherson will include more civic uses.

Really! That would rock.

I noticed the schematic for the Peachtree Corridor project (now under construction) shows a larger green space and a reduced parking area in front of the mall. Wonder if they'll actually do that?

While the redevelopment of areas such as Lakewood, Doraville and Fort Mac obviously doesn't need to duplicate Atlantic Station, it's great to see developers and communities at least having conversations that are based upon more livable concepts of urbanism. I think AS will serve as a terrific catalyst for helping people visualize what can be done.

Quite a few prognosticators of future development have predicted that eventually most malls would use their vast surface parking lots for future higher density development. My favorite of these "visionaries" is James Kunstler. His writing style cracks me up, but his main point is that as land around commercial centers becomes ever more expensive the subsidy of free parking will become too high for owners of these properties to continue and most of the land will be filled in.

I don't think we can expect all of these to be AS type developments, nor should they all be. The Doraville location should be home to major employers, Lakewood should include more residential, & Ft McPherson will include more civic uses.
I agree with what you're saying teshadoh. They all need to be different and reflect their history and region of the city. ARC will do it's job (enshallah) and make sure they all fit into the larger fabric that is metro Atlanta. That was my point in saying that

I hope that it all happens and that they all learn from AS and try to improve upon the model and not try to duplicate it.

When it has all been said and done I hope that none of these places are compared to AS but that each are so unique that they are themselves projects that others will wish to simulate.

And, nice to be in neighboring hoods with ya teshadoh.

Where exactly is the AS?

Despite Ironchapman's vague instructions, he was correct "in a way".

It is located in midtown on the west side of the Downtown Connector. When driving north I-75/85, look to the left and you'll see a Dillards, and a Wachovia building. Look out fot the 17th St. bridge. It's a yellow bridge that goes directly across the road. It will be before the Turner broadcasting buildings. When driving north on Peachtree St., look for 17th st. ( the numbers will increase as you move north[1,2,3,4,5etc] ), go across, and you'll be smack-dad in the middle of Overated Retail Station aka Atlantic Station.

Despite Ironchapman's vague instructions, he was correct "in a way".

It is located in midtown on the west side of the Downtown Connector. When driving north I-75/85, look to the left and you'll see a Dillards, and a Wachovia building. Look out fot the 17th St. bridge. It's a yellow bridge that goes directly across the road. It will be before the Turner broadcasting buildings. When driving north on Peachtree St., look for 17th st. ( the numbers will increase as you move north[1,2,3,4,5etc] ), go across, and you'll be smack-dad in the middle of Overated Retail Station aka Atlantic Station.

Yeah, I guess I should have been a more detailed, but I couldn't remember everything in my head and I didn't want to give out false info :o Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Archived