Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of good news for Atlantic Station. JPMorgan Chase has just bought the development's first office building for $170.5 million. That ends up at approximately $335 per square feet, which would make it the second highest per square footage price ever paid for an office building in Atlanta (The Pinnacle in Buckhead was the highest at $343 per square foot).

See Article

This from the Dolce group website

"The trio's latest venture will take them far from Southern California to the city of Atlanta, Georgia. In June 2006, The Dolce Group will bring Dolce Enoteca, Geisha House and Kingpin (a brand-new upscale bowling lounge concept) to the Atlantic Station development in Midtown. Together, these three venues promise to redefine the scope and scale of nightlife in the South."

Wonder if they still think cowtipping is a favorite nighttime event here. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like every day really IS and opening day.

Openings recently at Atlantic Station PJ's Coffee and Lounge, Moes, Cold Stone Creamery, Doc Greens, The Grape, The Joint, City Sports.

Tast-d-lite opening Jan. 13

Rosa Mexicano opening sometime in Jan.

LOBBY begins serving lunch on Jan. 23 and breakfast Feb. 12

Still to come......

Strip, Dolce, Geisha House, and Kingping (the Dolce group's "upscale " bowling concept)

See what I mean? They want to make sure that if some of their L.A. types want to come check out their branch office they don't wind up in Kansas or Michigan by mistake.

You are so right.

If you go on the site, they list all of their restaurants as well as where they are located. The one coming to Atlanta was the only one that had the state listed with the city. A possible explanation could be that the one in Atlanta hasn't been completed yet?

I can't help but agree with you on this, Andrea.

If you go on the site, they list all of their restaurants as well as where they are located. The one coming to Atlanta was the only one that had the state listed with the city. A possible explanation could be that the one in Atlanta hasn't been completed yet?

Perhaps they are also building one in Atlanta, Texas? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was browsing another site and I came upon this...

post-7212-1137392936_thumb.jpg

Apparently, this was an old model for Atlantic Station. If this were to happen it looks like it would've included alot more skyscrapers than currently present and a more decorative 17th St Bridge.

Atlantic Station is cool and all, but what about the other residential towers? I understand no one wants to make a new office building until a large tenant will occupy it, but the master plan calls for what looks like seven more residential towers and we haven't heard anything of it. They need to start filling those giant holes flanking 17th street. Fill it up and make it really feel like a city.

I was browsing another site and I came upon this...

Apparently, this was an old model for Atlantic Station. If this were to happen it looks like it would've included alot more skyscrapers than currently present and a more decorative 17th St Bridge.

That is the AS master plan. The big holes in the parking deck will get towers over the next several years. Their projected buildout is 15 years so it'll be a minute before it resembles this model.

I hate to see that because it reminds of the wasted opportunity to do something architectural with that bridge.

That is the AS master plan. The big holes in the parking deck will get towers over the next several years. Their projected buildout is 15 years so it'll be a minute before it resembles this model.

I hate to see that because it reminds of the wasted opportunity to do something architectural with that bridge.

Martinman, you are correct. The master plan is essentially still intact, it just isn't built out yet. It will fill in with additional towers as the market can absorb them. Looking at that rendering I think that the retail actually came out better in reality than what is shown proposed.

Also, the AJC published the following rendering when AS opened. It shows the potential spaces to be filled in. I think it is pretty informative. (BTW, it is showing the view from the East, as opposed to the old rendering which views from the West.)

ASimage.gif

Judging from the proposed rendering I posted, there was to be a 40 storyish building where the Commons is. That makes me sad that that didn't get built. :( On the other habd it might be good becuase it would've prevented the sprawl of Atlanta's skyline.

I hope that rendering is in no way indicative of actual heights of the buildings. It would be a shame if the tallest thing there was the Wachovia building. I'm not a high rise nazi, but I still think that this is a great way to pack in the density. It's a clean slate and I fear that Atlantic Station might be underwhelming. Honestly, I was probably looking forward to it more than most since I see it out my window and can walk to it just over the bridge. However, unless I want to see a movie I have no real reason to go there. It's basically just another mall, which is disappointing. This is why I want AS to have big-city flair. Give it some good, tall architecture and hopefully it will have an identity by packing more people in and creating more people to support niche shops that might not be there otherwise, because right now it seems hollow and boring.

I hope that rendering is in no way indicative of actual heights of the buildings. It would be a shame if the tallest thing there was the Wachovia building. I'm not a high rise nazi, but I still think that this is a great way to pack in the density. It's a clean slate and I fear that Atlantic Station might be underwhelming. Honestly, I was probably looking forward to it more than most since I see it out my window and can walk to it just over the bridge. However, unless I want to see a movie I have no real reason to go there. It's basically just another mall, which is disappointing. This is why I want AS to have big-city flair. Give it some good, tall architecture and hopefully it will have an identity by packing more people in and creating more people to support niche shops that might not be there otherwise, because right now it seems hollow and boring.

I don't think the AJC rendering is supposed to be real accurate. It just shows the transparent cubes to get an idea of massing. However, I do think that the buildings to be built on the South side of 17th Street will be lower to allow for a transition to the townhomes and single-family homes towards Homepark. That is appropriate, I think.

As for your comment that AS is little more than an urban mall, it is early. This place just opened and it needs time to mature. The key difference is the residential component. People will be living above those shops and working in the Wachovia, and soon the new tower. And, again, it is more than we've had downtown in quite some time.

Also, read my post under the MLK holiday thread. My family's visit to IKEA yesterday, reaffirms my belief that this city is becoming more cohesive. Developments like AS really to make a difference.

It's a clean slate and I fear that Atlantic Station might be underwhelming. Honestly, I was probably looking forward to it more than most since I see it out my window and can walk to it just over the bridge. However, unless I want to see a movie I have no real reason to go there. It's basically just another mall, which is disappointing.

Well, it is brand new and will undoubtedly continue to evolve as it becomes a more integral part of the city. Right now it's an auto destination, but in time I think the transit options will improve and it will become a more seamless part of the urban fabric. It sure beats a rusted out abandoned steel mill!!!

Look at how quickly the other areas of town have changed. Thirty-five years ago Downtown was the bustling center of commerce. Midtown was a slightly seedy area known as a hangout for hippies and hookers. Buckhead was where the old money lived and the young people partied. Perimeter was literally a cow pasture.

I'd say give Atlantic Station at least a decade or two to find its identity. In my opinion it's going to be great for Atlanta.

:yahoo:

My mom said that when she was growing up in Atlanta she would love to drive to tenth street and see all the hippies standing around

Oh yeah. I will always remember sipping coffee late at night in the Twelfth Gate on 10th Street, and hearing Duane's incredible slide guitar echoing across the summer night as the Allman Brothers cranked up "Statesboro Blues" during one of their free concerts in Piedmont Park. The road goes on forever, brother.

Check this if you want to see what Atlanta was like in those days.

:lol:

If you look at the Atlantic Station master plan on their site, you will note quite a number of as yet unrealized buildings. It would be unrealistic and undesirable for all the buildings to be constructed at the same time. Furthermore, there are likely not enough construction workers for that many jobs in one place at once, and the banks are going to be wary of so much simultaneous construction. The ajc article gives estimates of square footage upon completion. Observing those makes it immediately obvious that a large portion of the project has yet to be built, and going by the numbers, it is also readily apparent that much of the remaining development is high-rise. Twelve only fills a small portion of the 1000 hotel rooms projected for the development.

Referencing the master plan, the three buildings at the top of the district are supposed to be 1 million square feet of office each, thus imagine three One Atlantic Centers there. There is a proposed 50 story tower for one of the holes along 17th street. There is an office building site where State Street wraps behind the District. Many of the holes along the south side of 17th will be decent midrises. It is also possible and perhaps likely that the hole on the north side of the bridge to Northside, the rather triangular plot, will be a mid- to high-rise site in the near future.

In short, don't give up on Atlantic Station just yet. What has been lain is the groundwork for something huge, and that won't happen over night. This is not Dubai (more than likely a good thing). Renderings often show only placeholders, some idea of height, but rarely an actuality in such cases.

In more concrete words, there are something like 10 sites still remaining for high-rise development within Atlantic Station proper, and there is also the proposed development on 16th street, right along Techwood Drive. That is 166 16th Street, and the DRI is completed, but as I recall Home Park residents are in opposition to it. Too little, too late, I'm afraid.

I hope all of those towers don't get built in Atlantic Station. I'd like to see them in Midtown or in Downtown rather than there. It will be interesting to see what the "full" A-S will look like!

Technically, Atlantic Station is in Midtown for now (hopefully, it'll be a distinct district of its own someday), but I can understand what you mean. It wouldbe nice for a little high/midrise infill along the gaps in Midtown.

While I tend to agree, especially if the argument is intown versus not, the parcels in Atlantic Station are basically placeholders. Eventually (one hopes), there will only be a historical distinction between Midtown, Downtown, and Atlantic Station, as they begin to grow together, though with each holding their own identity. Basically, one could consider Atlantic Station as opening more land in intown Atlanta for high-rise development, and thus boosting density and diversity, versus that land not being available and the skyscrapers having to go on the outskirts somewhere. This of course takes the long term view of development and growth, whereby constant growth is inevitable. The more land available for dense development in the core, the better.

Though, agreed, more infill in Midtown and Downtown is certainly appreciated, anticipated, and desired.

Well, it is brand new and will undoubtedly continue to evolve as it becomes a more integral part of the city. Right now it's an auto destination, but in time I think the transit options will improve and it will become a more seamless part of the urban fabric. It sure beats a rusted out abandoned steel mill!!!

Look at how quickly the other areas of town have changed. Thirty-five years ago Downtown was the bustling center of commerce. Midtown was a slightly seedy area known as a hangout for hippies and hookers. Buckhead was where the old money lived and the young people partied. Perimeter was literally a cow pasture.

I'd say give Atlantic Station at least a decade or two to find its identity. In my opinion it's going to be great for Atlanta.

Good points, Andrea. I had to remind myself when I first visited (last month) that the project wasn't finished yet, and as the city grows, the development will become more integrated with the city itself. That's why projects like Atlantic Station tend to look so out of place in Southern cities, but the ones in other cities, like Mount Vernon Place in DC, seem to fit so perfectly.

The party scene in Buckhead hasn't been 35 years.

Archived