PROPOSED: Plaza Mayor

HartfordTycoon

The City has announced that Plaza Mayor LLC has been chosen to create their vision for this valuable corner of the city just south of Downtown. The tower proposal has won!!!! This is greate news, now with the Marriott, Hartford 21, and this project that's 4 new high rises in the skyline and this is just the beginning. I'm extremely excited about this.

Group Picked For City Gateway Project

$64 Million Proposal Receives Tentative Nod

By STEPHANIE REITZ

Courant Staff Writer

October 14 2005

The challenge of creating an attractive gateway to Hartford's Hispanic commercial center was awarded Thursday to a partnership of local merchants and a seasoned downtown developer.

The Hartford Redevelopment Agency selected Plaza Mayor LLC, consisting of developer Theodore M. Amenta and a coalition of Hispanic business owners, as the tentative developer to revive the barren city-owned property at Park and Main streets.

Their proposal, which redevelopment officials praised as bold and ambitious, envisions a $64 million complex with two towers of roughly 20 stories each, a 40,000-square-foot public plaza, parking, a banquet hall, a boutique hotel and a chapel.

They say the plan could result in 40 to 80 new residential units, which would sell for about $380,000 to $400,000 each.

continue reading

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or is 400,000 way too expensive for that area of town...I think the Hartford 21 and Trumbull units can sell at that price downtown but the only people who would live on Park and Main can't really afford that price, no? Most people have a certain view of Park Street and I don't really think they think of luxury apartments...but hey, if this works I'll be the first to celebrate.

Is it just me or is 400,000 way too expensive for that area of town...I think the Hartford 21 and Trumbull units can sell at that price downtown but the only people who would live on Park and Main can't really afford that price, no? Most people have a certain view of Park Street and I don't really think they think of luxury apartments...but hey, if this works I'll be the first to celebrate.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I feel they will be smart enough to price for demand. I think you would actually be surprised at some of the prices they will be able to get in that area with the right type of product, I dont know if the $400k range is feasable. I think $250k to $300k would be more appropriate. The only comment I take offense to is that the only type of people who would live there can't afford that price tag, there are many well to do people of all backgrounds who are not affraid to live in more ethnic neighborhoods.

Even though the "towers" are only 17 and 10 floors tall, the views from the condos should be some of the best in the city. The site is also next to the Hartford Hospital complex. So there are some good things going for it. But who knows what the real estate market will look like in three to four years when the condos go on the market.

I'm sure the developers are counting on doctors and medical professionals from Hartford Hospital purchasing condos. If the city were smart, they would clean up this area before construction begins. That means relocating the homeless shelter and the methadone clinic situated on each side of the proposed development.

While I liked this development best, I'm not counting on it hgetting built as proposed. The same group that complained about the Adriaen's Landing condo towers until they were removed have already reared their head trying to delay this project until they "can find out more about it." The balls some people have. If I remember right, they opposed the condos at Adrian's Landing because of the shadows the skyscrapers would create in their neighborhood. Personally, I think that awful Sheldo Oak apartment complex between the Conlan Whitehead Highway and Charter Oak Ave. should be bulldozed. Its ugly, inward facing and breaks up the streetscape. Its an eyesore to downtown.

Get a clue. You live downtown. If you are against the development of skyscrapers --- move.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I feel they will be smart enough to price for demand. I think you would actually be surprised at some of the prices they will be able to get in that area with the right type of product, I dont know if the $400k range is feasable. I think $250k to $300k would be more appropriate. The only comment I take offense to is that the only type of people who would live there can't afford that price tag, there are many well to do people of all backgrounds who are not affraid to live in more ethnic neighborhoods.

Sorry, i misstated myself...I didn't mean no one who could afford that would live there, I meant no one already living there could afford that...but now that I think about it I'm thinking more about western Park Street through Frog Hollow...sorry to offend.

Even though the "towers" are only 17 and 10 floors tall, the views from the condos should be some of the best in the city. The site is also next to the Hartford Hospital complex. So there are some good things going for it. But who knows what the real estate market will look like in three to four years when the condos go on the market.

The renderings show towers of 10 and 17 stories, but the article states " two towers of roughly 20 stories each", so the height seems to be up in the air at this point. Some recent articles in the Courant have said that the towers will likely grow larger than 20 stories, while at the same time, as Luca pointed out, there are groups are going to fight the towers tooth and nail until they get knocked down to "human scale". My guess is we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle, with both sides getting what they want.

I could be wrong, but if the developers are talking about 40-80 units occupying 37+ stories of space, my guess is the condos will be large, so the price per sq. ft. won't be too much.

Sorry, i misstated myself...I didn't mean no one who could afford that would live there, I meant no one already living there could afford that...but now that I think about it I'm thinking more about western Park Street through Frog Hollow...sorry to offend.

Offend was too strong a word. I really just meant I don't think people with high incomes would be opposed to living on that corner, once it is spruced up a bit. Hopefully it will force some of the nearby historic structures to be improved upon by their respective owners.

Wow, I was out of the loop this weekend (my stag party was Friday night), and I missed this article. This is great news, the city needs these towers if it's going to keep growing vertically. The Sheldon Oak Apartments are awful, I've worked in there a ton and almost got jumped about 5 times going in and out of there. Maybe they don't want shadows because they'll then have less light, and the roachs will be out 24/7....

I don't remember the Adriens Landing towers. Were those the identical towers with the blue mirror glass? If not, what were they and how tall were they supposed to be?

You're correct, the AL towers were the one with the mirror blue glass.

The Sheldon Oak Apartments are awful, I've worked in there a ton and almost got jumped about 5 times going in and out of there. Maybe they don't want shadows because they'll then have less light, and the roachs will be out 24/7....

:rofl:

I'm hoping for more condo options in downtown in the 150K range. It'd be nice if the developers of these buildings included at least some units in that range for young professionals without fat checkbooks. We don't all want to live in the Enfield's of the region forever!

I'm hoping for more condo options in downtown in the 150K range. It'd be nice if the developers of these buildings included at least some units in that range for young professionals without fat checkbooks. We don't all want to live in the Enfield's of the region forever!

I think the American Airlines building is suppose to have some moderately priced condos

Aren't we all. But I do see the need to get the "fabulously wealthy" set here to offset the negative perception. If they open anything in that range I am purchasing immediately.

Also, about 5 years ago, Bushnell Towers had some condos for sale for about 160k or so. Those, I'm sure are worth about 300k now though.

I love that...hearing developers' say there's "no market" for residential in our urban cores and then watching the prices increase faster than the average b/c the supply can't match demand!

That pisses me off. In 2002, I was working in Travelers Tower, and looking to buy a condo in Bushnell Towers. 2 sticking points, first, I would have had to pay 30k extra for a second parking space, second, SBC moved my job to Bridgeport, so I was then out fo Travelers, and Bridgeport was one hell of a drive....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived