PROPOSED: Plaza Mayor

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just imagine how much money that would bring into Hartford though. I mean, they had a pretty good cockfight operation in Waterbury a couple years ago until the cops found out.

I'd rather bet on a dice game in the North End though. More exciting. :rolleyes:

I'm not debating the ethics issue about animal fighting ... it's just wrong. We all pretty much know that.

My point behind sarcasm was... right about now the lowest forms of economy seem to make it, while anything worthwhile gets stuck behind red tape, corruption, and numerous other barriers which make life for the city/state difficult. Something meant to be an improvement either never happens, or isn't effective, or winds up being more of an embarrassment than anything.

• 7 months later...

Blurb from the HBJ:

Development project stalls with no financing

The clock is ticking toward a first-quarter deadline on the stalled Plaza Mayor development project, but the group in charge has given no indication of progress.The topic of the long-dormant housing and retail development came up at Thursday's Hartford Redevelopment Agency's meeting, where interim executive director Mark McGovern said developers haven't come up with financing or the Planning & Zoning approval they still need for the work at the intersection of Park and Main streets.

McGovern said in November that the developers, which include financers Solaris, needed to show that they had a financing plan in place by the end of the first quarter, or else the city would scrap the current plans and find new developers. As of Thursday, "Plaza Mayor is largely at the same place as the last report," McGovern said.

Blurb from the HBJ:

The clock is ticking toward a first-quarter deadline on the stalled Plaza Mayor development project, but the group in charge has given no indication of progress.The topic of the long-dormant housing and retail development came up at Thursday's Hartford Redevelopment Agency's meeting, where interim executive director Mark McGovern said developers haven't come up with financing or the Planning & Zoning approval they still need for the work at the intersection of Park and Main streets.

McGovern said in November that the developers, which include financers Solaris, needed to show that they had a financing plan in place by the end of the first quarter, or else the city would scrap the current plans and find new developers. As of Thursday, "Plaza Mayor is largely at the same place as the last report," McGovern said.

Blurb from the HBJ:

• 1 year later...
The biggest problem right now is that where the Hospitol meets park street and where park street meets main street we have a huge vacant wasteland. and if you have not been there in a while it really looks like a wasteland.

Building something large enough to connect this area would breath new life into both Main street and Park.

now the problem is that the econemy might not even support the anemic plan they had let alone one that would actually change he area.

I am not sure if we need towers here, but I did like that rendering quite a bit more than the more recent one.

Well, Hartford Hospital at least has some pretty significant resources and I hold out hope that if plaza mayor was done right HH would get behind it rather than stand in the way of it.

Here is the critical area as best I can tell

Plaza1.jpg

I highlighted two buildings in Orange as needing to be moved. not destroyed necessarily since they could just be moved further down the street to fill in some holes.

you can see the one building on the S side of Park in its new location in the next image.

Plaza2.jpg

Yup, I kind of mapped out what I was thinking. did I tell you guys my job is being outsourced and I seem to have more time to putter around while not job searching?

I am not entirely sure about the parking lots N of Park. There is tons of room there, and I would rather say the green space stay green, so Parking garages work for me.

I put A nice blue line everywhere I would put retail. as you can see the entire ground floor is retail. With the existing buildings on the S side now having plenty of parking in the garage behind them, I am pretty confident they will be getting more business, so they would happily give away part of their land to the city for the garage.

by filling in and around the existing retail you create a vibrant shopping area centered around the public plaza.

I think, more than any other place, this is a chance for typical sub urban big box retailers to work in downtown.

NO I DO NOT WANT A STRIP MALL

I just think that a Walmart could fit into this development as an anchor. I will edit in another image showing how I would layout the residential component above the retail.

Archived