PROPOSED: Plaza Mayor

HartfordTycoon

HBJ just did a list and talked about all the projects going on in the city from Adriaens Landing/Front Street to Hartford 21 to Dutch Point to the Capewell Nail Factory. A MUST SEE ISSUE!!!

They did mention in this issue that the American Airlines Building may be turned into some sort of housing...that would be good, great location and thats the developers specialty

• 6 months later...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they stick pretty close to the original. I think they will given it's what really made them win the competition. City Hall loves new towers as much as we do.

I say one tower around 350 feet with 25 floors, and the second around 210 feet with 15 floors.

In that article, people complain that the towers will cast shadows. Are you kidding me??? If you want sunshine 24/7 and don't like buildings over two stories, move to the suburbs - you live in the downtown of a major city for Gods sake. What do you expect?

If these people and their sense of entitlement had been around all along, Hartford would have nothing over 25 ft. tall.

In that article, people complain that the towers will cast shadows. Are you kidding me??? If you want sunshine 24/7 and don't like buildings over two stories, move to the suburbs - you live in the downtown of a major city for Gods sake. What do you expect?

If these people and their sense of entitlement had been around all along, Hartford would have nothing over 25 ft. tall.

C'mon now! This has nothing to do with an "entitlement mentality." This is just good old fashioned NIMBYism. The same as in the burbs. Just because it's the inner city doesn't make the motives any different. They just don't wan't it to be "too urban." It may seem sillier to you because it's in the city but it's not really, look at how much they protested Blueback as being "too urban" and that is in a central business district of an urban inner ring suburb. These people live there, many are property owners. I don't usually support NIMBYs, but I think you are taking your critism of them to an unfair level for reasons that are not quite clear to me.

West Hartford is the epitome of cold, snobby New Englander that I despise.. I've never met people who were more closed minded and elitist than I did when living there.

As far as the Plaza mayor project, I'd be more interested in hearing from businesses along park Street and people who actually live in the immediate area.

West Hartford is the epitome of cold, snobby New Englander that I despise.. I've never met people who were more closed minded and elitist than I did when living there.

As far as the Plaza mayor project, I'd be more interested in hearing from businesses along park Street and people who actually live in the immediate area.

Well the developers are business owners from park street. This is just a big step for small merchants who have been quietly bubbling for years now. The principal of the firm owns Louis of Hartford Furniture on Park St. and I think he developed El Mercado as well. So they are local. I would be curious to hear from someone closer to it and not involved too. Do you guys know of "Rican Papi" from SSP? I thought he would have joined us by now. I know he would want this to happen.

Well the developers are business owners from park street. This is just a big step for small merchants who have been quietly bubbling for years now. The principal of the firm owns Louis of Hartford Furniture on Park St. and I think he developed El Mercado as well. So they are local. I would be curious to hear from someone closer to it and not involved too. Do you guys know of "Rican Papi" from SSP? I thought he would have joined us by now. I know he would want this to happen.

Yes, I know of "Rican Papi"....and he, like me, would DEFINITELY want this to go through. Like Luca said though, if you don't want big buildings to possibly built in your area you shouldn't choose to live in a CITY where it's completely possible. However, I also agree that this is a case of NIMBYISM and like always it's because people fear change. The sooner people realize that Hartford MUST change in certain areas to be successful the better off we'll all be.

Honestly i'm starting to wonder if people should have their heads examined. Let's bypass major development, because GOD forbid you lose a little bit of sunlight. I think people like keeping the status quo.

Honestly i'm starting to wonder if people should have their heads examined. Let's bypass major development, because GOD forbid you lose a little bit of sunlight. I think people like keeping the status quo.

You are just now starting to wonder? I've KNOWN most people are nuts since adolescence. :wacko:

You are just now starting to wonder? I've KNOWN most people are nuts since adolescence. :wacko:

I guese people in the neighborhood don't realise that this will help them out tremondously, economically and socially. How can they not want that? :wacko:

C'mon now! This has nothing to do with an "entitlement mentality." This is just good old fashioned NIMBYism. The same as in the burbs. Just because it's the inner city doesn't make the motives any different. They just don't wan't it to be "too urban." It may seem sillier to you because it's in the city but it's not really, look at how much they protested Blueback as being "too urban" and that is in a central business district of an urban inner ring suburb. These people live there, many are property owners. I don't usually support NIMBYs, but I think you are taking your critism of them to an unfair level for reasons that are not quite clear to me.

You think its unfair? I had the same level of criticism for the NIMBYs in West Hartford Center.

This is the whole problem with Hartford - there is no forward thinking whatsoever that exists in other large cities that have left Hartford in the dust in the last 25-50 years. The sense of entitlement I am talking about is the mentality that progress for the many must be halted for the special interest of the few. If you don't want a large development like Plaza Mayor in your neighborhood:

1. Move to an area whose zoning prohibits it.

2. Move out of the downtown area and into one of the neighborhoods.

Its like people who buy homes on the cheap by the airport and then complain about the noise and an increasing number of flights. Do you know that people are also protesting the height of Front St.? You are talking about a development ONE BLOCK from the 500 ft. Travelers Tower. Plaza Mayor is blocks from the skyscrapers downtown. Its within a block of Hartford Hospital and the medical highrise on Hudson Street. So how in the world can they complain about this? Because they can - thats why. Developments like this are to be expected downtown. It has nothing to do with the "inner city" and everything to do people thinking the world and everyone in it should stop for them because they are vocal. It shouldn't. Not here. Neighborhood residents and property owners should be jumping for joy that a developer wants to bring luxury condos and commerce to an existing area of abandoned lots, urban decay and crime. The NIMBYs shouldn't even be listened to.

You think its unfair? I had the same level of criticism for the NIMBYs in West Hartford Center.

This is the whole problem with Hartford. The sense of entitlement I am talking about is the mentality that progress for the many must be halted for the special interest of the few. If you don't want a large development like Plaza Mayor in your neighborhood:

Its like people who buy homes on the cheap by the airport and then complain about the noise and an increasing number of flights. Do you know that people are also protesting the height of Front St.? You are talking about a development ONE BLOCK from the 500 ft. Travelers Tower. Plaza Mayor is blocks from the skyscrapers downtown. Its within a block of Hartford Hospital and the medical highrise on Hudson Street. So why complain about this? Because they can. Developments like this are to be expected downtown. It has nothing to do with the "inner city" and everything to do people thinking the world and everyone in it should stop for them. It shouldn't. Not here.

I misinterpreted your use of "entitlement." I thought you meant the label so often used for the lower economic class. With this clarification I agree with you, 100%.

This is the whole problem with Hartford - there is no forward thinking whatsoever that exists in other large cities that have left Hartford in the dust in the last 25-50 years. The sense of entitlement I am talking about is the mentality that progress for the many must be halted for the special interest of the few. If you don't want a large development like Plaza Mayor in your neighborhood:

Its like people who buy homes on the cheap by the airport and then complain about the noise and an increasing number of flights. Do you know that people are also protesting the height of Front St.? You are talking about a development ONE BLOCK from the 500 ft. Travelers Tower. Plaza Mayor is blocks from the skyscrapers downtown. Its within a block of Hartford Hospital and the medical highrise on Hudson Street. So how in the world can they complain about this? Because they can - thats why. Developments like this are to be expected downtown. It has nothing to do with the "inner city" and everything to do people thinking the world and everyone in it should stop for them because they are vocal. It shouldn't. Not here. Neighborhood residents and property owners should be jumping for joy that a developer wants to bring luxury condos and commerce to an existing area of abandoned lots, urban decay and crime. The NIMBYs shouldn't even be listened to.

Are you serious? People are actually protesting Front Street? When will the lunacy end?

I don't think I could have put it better myself even if I tried REALLY hard. I agree with you completely and think we should post this on a poster board at the capital, but that's just me. :blush:

Jeez, SOCOM. I disagree. Certainly there are parts of WH which fit what you are talking about. But I find many other greater-Hartford towns to be more closed minded and elitest as you say. Although many people have complained about Blue Back, for instance, most in the town supported the project. WH does have a beautiful urban center, has been able-unlike most surrounding suburbs-to build some affordable housing, and has a relatively diverse populace. I do realize that many of the people whom you speak of are happy that most of this exists on the other side of town. Still, these things are a part of Wet Hartford unlike many other towns I can think of....I just don't think it's helpful to stereotype an entire town like this.

Actually, I too find West Hartford to be the epitome of snob, which is funny, because they have their share of crappy areas too.

Back on topic, I'm sick to hell of all these projects being whittled down to the nub of the idea. Constitution Plaza (yes, a long time ago, but it's a shadow of what it was supposed to be), the Sage Allen building, Front Street (too much residential!!! Frickin please...), Plaza Mayor. Sometimes, I really think that some of these community groups try to overplay their hand. I swear the Sheldon/Charter Oak people must be on crack....

Actually, I too find West Hartford to be the epitome of snob, which is funny, because they have their share of crappy areas too.

Back on topic, I'm sick to hell of all these projects being whittled down to the nub of the idea. Constitution Plaza (yes, a long time ago, but it's a shadow of what it was supposed to be), the Sage Allen building, Front Street (too much residential!!! Frickin please...), Plaza Mayor. Sometimes, I really think that some of these community groups try to overplay their hand. I swear the Sheldon/Charter Oak people must be on crack....

I would like to see Hartford infused with more housing. That has always been the issue. I lived in East Hartford for a short stint several years back in my gypsy days and Hartford was always so empty. I know a lot has changed since then, but infill developments are a key to a vibrant city. Building high rise towers is great, but I think that should be more focused to the CBD. Although this site is very close, it is away from the "defining" skyline.

I remember looking for housing in the city years back and there really wasn't a good selection of neighborhoods. It wasn't that they were so dangerous, but they weren't alluring to say the least. This project, the brownstones planned,the Parkville complex, and the creation of a possible retail/residential area @ Brainard are great projects.....The important issue is how they tie into the street and contribute and/or create a vibrant area. The more residents that the city can attract...the better....You gotta understand..Not everybody wants to live in or next to a 150-300 ft. high-rise.

I would like to see Hartford infused with more housing. That has always been the issue. I lived in East Hartford for a short stint several years back in my gypsy days and Hartford was always so empty. I know a lot has changed since then, but infill developments are a key to a vibrant city. Building high rise towers is great, but I think that should be more focused to the CBD. Although this site is very close, it is away from the "defining" skyline.

I remember looking for housing in the city years back and there really wasn't a good selection of neighborhoods. It wasn't that they were so dangerous, but they weren't alluring to say the least. This project, the brownstones planned,the Parkville complex, and the creation of a possible retail/residential area @ Brainard are great projects.....The important issue is how they tie into the street and contribute and/or create a vibrant area. The more residents that the city can attract...the better....You gotta understand..Not everybody wants to live in or next to a 150-300 ft. high-rise.

That's certainly true. We are all obsessed with towers in Hartford. I think part of the reason is due to the fact that it's kinda been our only saving grace for so long. The city was really bad in recent history, not really for crime but for being dead. Personally, I hope these particular towers get built, but you are completely right when you say we need infill housing. Honestly if we had better housing choices more people would move to the neighborhoods and help even the income levels and demographics out a little. I would live in Blue Hills if say they built a new apartment complex with some retail where Westbrook Village is now, right down the street from UHart and around the corner from Scarborough St. I just don't know why certain things take so long. The possibilities are endless, the right people just need to be doing this.

Archived