PROPOSED: Plaza Mayor

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now with the neighbors complaining, I'm assuming the towers will now be much smaller than anticapated in the revised plan?

neighboors really can't do much except complain, if the developer really wants this project to be a certain height he will win.

LOL! This is one time I hope I'm wrong. :)

Well I think the big difference is that City Hall approved it with the towers meaning they want them included in the final project. Also we don't vote on major development projects here in Hartford, they just kind of happen. It's not like getting Blue Back or Utopia approved, if the city government wants it to happen and there's a developer lined up then it's gonna happen.

Well I think the big difference is that City Hall approved it with the towers meaning they want them included in the final project. Also we don't vote on major development projects here in Hartford, they just kind of happen. It's not like getting Blue Back or Utopia approved, if the city government wants it to happen and there's a developer lined up then it's gonna happen.

With the amount of NIMBYism around, it's good thing Hartford handle's it differently than the suburbs.

But I find many other greater-Hartford towns to be more closed minded and elitest as you say.

Not in my experiences. I spent 17 years in West Hartford. It takes the cake in the Hartford area IMO. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast growing up there and I love the urbanity of the town, but the there is a mindset in the western part of town that if you are not of a certain ethnicity, than it's OK to be treated harshly. The racism was pretty bad in the 06117/06107 zip as well.

Fair enough...

Not in my experiences. I spent 17 years in West Hartford. It takes the cake in the Hartford area IMO. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast growing up there and I love the urbanity of the town, but the there is a mindset in the western part of town that if you are not of a certain ethnicity, than it's OK to be treated harshly. The racism was pretty bad in the 06117/06107 zip as well.

• 1 month later...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctpla...headlines-local

Lots of info here.

One really dumb quote. At the end of the article the guy says that New England doesn't have plazas because of the weather. The truth is that virtually every New England town was built around a plaza. Only in New England, they are covered by grass and they are know as "greens."

I've said it many times and I'll say it again...downtown areas, even areas on the fringe of downtown are for tall buildings. Tall buildings surround historic areas in cities all over the country. The south meeting house in Boston is surrounded by highrise condo and office towers. There are old churches in Manhattan that are obviously right next to towers. building a 12-20 story tower would not have ruined the character and charm of the old neighborhoods. Hartford can grow vertically all around the city while still preserving the historic charm of the neighborhoods. Lewis street is an example. While it is a very small area, there are small historic buildings on that street right next to the SNET building, Trumbull on the Park, etc.. I personally think the contrast of old and new creates one of the best sightlines the city has to offer.

Had to get that off my chest.

I'm for any development in that area, at least the plaza idea is still intact. 17 million does sound like a pretty big subsidary to me, we need some more developers that are willing to take on the whole project without any state or city funding. Maybe a few tax breaks here and there, but to pay for a quarter of the project...

They were awarded the project based on their original concept. Since they have changed their plans so dramatically, the process should start over.

I totally agree. Open the competition back up. There is surely more interest at this point in time.

I don't understand, if the developer submitted a proposal for a $64 mil project, and asked for $17 mil of city's money in the proposal, if the city did not want to put up the $17 mil, then why did the city selected this development team in the first place? Did the city renege on the deal or the developer is using city as an excuse to back out of its commitment?

As of now, according to the article, the new plan is seeking $10 mil of city's money while the city is thinking of $6 mil. If the new plan is approved, is it going to be $10 mil or $6 mil? I am curious as to the cost of the new plan. Anyone here knows the cost different between 12 and 16 stories towers vs. townhouses no taller than six stories? I personally think there should be a maximum percentage that city should be allowed to fund any project. 17 out of 64 or 27% is way too high for my liking.

I am curious as to the cost of the new plan. Anyone here knows the cost different between 12 and 16 stories towers vs. townhouses no taller than six stories?

There's a huge difference because of the use of steel. 2 to 6 story residential buildings can be framed entirely out of wood, whereas a 12 story building has to use steel. Even if they planned on using concrete, that's still not cheap and rebar has to be used to reinforce the concrete. I don't know the exact number, but the difference is substantial. We're talking 10-20 million dollars difference.

• 2 months later...

You people are sick in the head. The current plan is excellent. Skyscrapers are for retards.

My problem is with how the project was won - not the height of it. Proposing something much more than you can actually deliver and then scaling back your plan to the point that it doesn't resemble what won you the project in the first place isn't fair to the other developers who were probably much more realistic when it came to financing this project. Consider who is on the development team and the picture becomes more clear.

Thanks for your usual well thought out and insightful comments though.

Archived