PROPOSED: Plaza Mayor

HartfordTycoon

It's been a while since i've posted here, but I agree that the selection process was backwards. Didn't the orginal RFP call for a 6-7 floor building and the other group propsed a building within that scope? The group selected exceeded the request and should have never been selected.

While I agree Hartford could use additional "skyscrapers", I'd rather see office towers than housing which may or may not get filled. And there is nothing wrong with 6-12 Story building, it adds density and are more manageable to build and fill.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that article, people complain that the towers will cast shadows. Are you kidding me??? If you want sunshine 24/7 and don't like buildings over two stories, move to the suburbs - you live in the downtown of a major city for Gods sake. What do you expect?

If these people and their sense of entitlement had been around all along, Hartford would have nothing over 25 ft. tall.

Luca:

I hope the people won't get their way. As you said -- if you want sunshine 24/7 move to an RURAL area!

JimS

Now first this shows how there are problems in picking developers for projects done in this city. Front Street is still a vacant and now the developer who proposed more then what was asked for has scaled back plans to which are more like the other developers plans.

I personally wouldnt mind the skyscrapers....IF AND ONLY IF the public were ok with them. If the residents of that area wanted skyscrapers then I would be ok. If they are happy with this new plan then I am because I want people taking pride in this city

After fully reading the article today, I'm incensed by this. That overhang thing looks ridiculous. Haven't they learned anything from Constitution Plaza? And they cut back on the residential, which as we all know is the most important thing for the city these days. Unbelievable...

After fully reading the article today, I'm incensed by this. That overhang thing looks ridiculous. Haven't they learned anything from Constitution Plaza? And they cut back on the residential, which as we all know is the most important thing for the city these days. Unbelievable...

Unbelieavable yes!!! Surprizing? No.... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Did I miss something? According to the Keys to the City from Sunday's Courant Plaza Mayor will be breaking ground in July for twin condo towers!!?? Are the towers back in the plan? If so that's great news. I think that the towers would be better for that corner and more marketable as luxury for that particular location. Townhomes would be better closer to Downtown near the Capitol Ave. brownstones and closer to cultural amenities and further from the more run down areas on and past Park Street.

Courant Feature: Keys to the City

Did I miss something? According to the Keys to the City from Sunday's Courant Plaza Mayor will be breaking ground in July for twin condo towers!!?? Are the towers back in the plan? If so that's great news. I think that the towers would be better for that corner and more marketable as luxury for that particular location. Townhomes would be better closer to Downtown near the Capitol Ave. brownstones and closer to cultural amenities and further from the more run down areas on and past Park Street.

Courant Feature: Keys to the City

Possibly, but the scaled down version called for townhomes and I wouldn't think that a townhome development would even be close to tall enough to be called a tower, let alone "twin condo towers" as was the wording in the Courant.

It is absurd and asinine what has happened to this project. This will at best be merely nicer apartments/condos for the population who would already consider living on Park Street. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but I thought this was supposed to be a spark to bring new homeowners to an area that logically could serve to bridge Downtown and the South End of Hartford. The views from towers there would have been spectacular and a great selling point. Not sure what the huge selling point will be for townhomes and a large plaza that may or may not be filled with loiterers all day.....

Archived