Kalamazoo

MJLO

• 6 months later...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some exciting development news out of Kalamazoo. This is a new office/condominium project being developed by Greenleaf Holdings (who own the Radisson in Kzoo) at the corner of Rose & South Streets near the main library. Nice looking place!

141953863_ad8bd1788a_o.jpg

Changing Cityscape

Entrepreneurs anticipate positive urban growth

This design would work well at the City Centre ramp site in GR.

Some exciting development news out of Kalamazoo. This is a new office/condominium project being developed by Greenleaf Holdings (who own the Radisson in Kzoo) at the corner of Rose & South Streets near the main library. Nice looking place!

Changing Cityscape

That is pretty nice looking. The style reminds me of something else I remember seeing in KZoo, can't remember what...

Looks like it has underground parking as well.

That is pretty nice looking. The style reminds me of something else I remember seeing in KZoo, can't remember what...

Looks like it has underground parking as well.

maybe broson hospital -- it seems to have that same style/color scheme, but it does look nice and it will add to downtown which is nice.

I read this the other day, and while happy to hear about something of considerably size going up downtown, I was thinking the design was going to be mediocre, at best. This is quite a surprise. I specifically like how the corner of the building opens onto the sidewalk/plaza.

I read about this one today as well. It seems there is alot going on in Kzoo these days. Does anyone have a list of developements going on there? It seems the forum kind of looks over Kzoo alot. Let's see if we can't reverse that trend.

033eaee0.jpg

an old upjohn building being demolished, its to bad because it is probably the 3rd tallest building in the city and will take away from an already small and spreadout skyline

They're tearing that down? :cry: You're kidding me. My mother used to work in that building. Whya are they demolishing it?

Changing Cityscape

What an excellent design. I like it. :)

I live and work in the area right now (Portage at the moment, but moving to GR in mid July and starting to commute) ), and I can tell you that my GF and I spend most of our time in downtown. It has a great urban feel. We park in the deck at the Radisson, and walk to any of the places in downtown. While it dose not have the amount of development that Grand Rapids has, the historic architecture is phenomenal and with the Kalamazoo Promise, the city is hoping to attract more middle income individuals to the area.

Downfall of the community is the property taxes and poverty rate. Both are extremely high. I will see what I can do about getting those pictures when I have the opportunity.

I have some Kalamazoo pictures to share!

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgottenmi/maple/maple.html

Remember Maple Hill Mall?

Heck, remember Westmain Mall (anyone got ANYthing about that mall), or East Town (sp) mall on M-43 near Comstock?

I did mention Westmain Mall... I checked a 1993 phone book and could only find a few tenants for it even then: a Hills department store, an Osco pharmacy, a cosmetology school, an arcade and a theater. As for East Town I'm not certain if it was even an enclosed mall or not, or if it even had a department store.

Oh, and how's about Southland in Portage?

http://www.dioretix.com/blog/archives/000019.html

I have some Kalamazoo pictures to share!

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgottenmi/maple/maple.html

Remember Maple Hill Mall?

Heck, remember Westmain Mall (anyone got ANYthing about that mall), or East Town (sp) mall on M-43 near Comstock?

I did mention Westmain Mall... I checked a 1993 phone book and could only find a few tenants for it even then: a Hills department store, an Osco pharmacy, a cosmetology school, an arcade and a theater. As for East Town I'm not certain if it was even an enclosed mall or not, or if it even had a department store.

Oh, and how's about Southland in Portage?

http://www.dioretix.com/blog/archives/000019.html

I got John Spider Salley's autograph at the grand opening of that Hill's department store.

I remember before that we only went there to go to the Movies (United ARtists West Main) before a theatre opened near Crossroads Mall. All that was open was the theatre and the Fun FActory. That place rocked!

I think there was a gymnastics or Karate place too. Back before that there was a Duffy's restaurant, which was like an early buffet place.

LOL, I used to live in this building. We used to climb up into the 20' tall attic, cross the scaffolding, and then straight up a ladder through a hatch onto the roof, and drive golf-balls at the Pike House across the street. You could see the entire Kalamazoo Valley from up there

293e66c5.jpg

In regard to East Town (?) Mall, we'd go there for $1 movies when I was in college. Always seemed like such a far drive out Gull Road. I don't even know if it's still there.

I live and work in the area right now (Portage at the moment, but moving to GR in mid July and starting to commute)

Yeah, I actually lived/went to highschool in portage myself (Portage Central). When I left in 97 neither Portage nor kalamazoo were all that bad. It's upsetting to hear about the unemployment and poverty rate. I can only assume that has to do with what used to be the upjohn company (now pfizer). They were a pretty major employer when I grew up, do they still maintain a substantial presence there?

Yeah, I actually lived/went to highschool in portage myself (Portage Central). When I left in 97 neither Portage nor kalamazoo were all that bad. It's upsetting to hear about the unemployment and poverty rate. I can only assume that has to do with what used to be the upjohn company (now pfizer). They were a pretty major employer when I grew up, do they still maintain a substantial presence there?

PC and all the other Kalamazoo schools were dreaded rivals when I went to high school (St. Joe '99), so I dislike PC, Portage Northern, Loy Norrix and K Central. I ran Cross Country and track. We used to go to Kalamazoo alot. My most vivid memories, however, were sitting in traffic on Westnedge or trying to get to a track meet through rush hour traffic.

PC and all the other Kalamazoo schools were dreaded rivals when I went to high school (St. Joe '99), so I dislike PC, Portage Northern, Loy Norrix and K Central. I ran Cross Country and track. We used to go to Kalamazoo alot. My most vivid memories, however, were sitting in traffic on Westnedge or trying to get to a track meet through rush hour traffic.

Yeah, I ran cross and track at PC through my junior year, I know all about those rivalries. :D And for such a small area I concur that Westnedge had a ridiculous amount of traffic (even back then). I must say that our hands down biggest rivals at that time were Portage Northern. Man we hated those kids. :lol: I remember they had the guys state champ and girls national champ going to their school so they always had the spotlight.

Portage and Kalamazoo are in many ways very opposite. The poverty rate and unemployment rate are very low in Portage, Education, income, property values, and new house construction, are all very high. While Pfizer has a good percentage of the employment force, other companies including Stryker Medical Interments, have helped to diversify the employment sector.

The following link is to a publication that is mailed to all the households in the community and further explains the phenomenal economic growth that Portage has had.

http://www.portagemi.com/cms/media/files/p...er%20may_06.pdf

Kalamazoo on the other hand has had several income, poverty, and tax issues. It however has tremendous potential and the downtown has experienced a incredible turnaround mostly because of a public/ private partnership between Downtown Kalamazoo Incorporated and the City.

Here is the DKI link...

http://www.central-city.net/

LOL, I used to live in this building. We used to climb up into the 20' tall attic, cross the scaffolding, and then straight up a ladder through a hatch onto the roof, and drive golf-balls at the Pike House across the street. You could see the entire Kalamazoo Valley from up there

293e66c5.jpg

In regard to East Town (?) Mall, we'd go there for $1 movies when I was in college. Always seemed like such a far drive out Gull Road. I don't even know if it's still there.

The old dollar theatre is not there any more. We used to drive out there in college too. "WMU class of 96'". We would go to the Meijer down the road to get soda and candy then go to the dollar movies. Oh the good old days.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived