Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ericurbanite

Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

The Conceptual drawing of Marriott Hotel in raleigh has been updated and thankfully so. I like it much better than what I have been seeing. It looks alot like the progress energy building, but it also blends in well with the new convention center which is great.

Heres some pics all are from the livable streets website...

New conceptual drawing

Hotel_Perspective_Salisbury.gif

The drawing we have been seeing..

raleigh%20rendering.gif

elevations of the site, the north elevation looks alot like the new progress energy building

I very much so like the new one better. Plus theres the features that the hotel is adding too...

400 guest rooms

15,000 square feet meeting rooms including 6000 square foot ballroom

Two-story restaurant / tavern

Coffee Shop

Other retail for rent facing Fayetteville Street

Health Spa, outdoor pool

Indoor connection to Convention Center

JunktionFET    0

I'm thinking I like the old one better--at least it is more than just a cereal box. I don't know... I guess I'll wait for the full color rendering before I start dissing it.

i think the new one focuses on the retail on the bottom better. Its on fayettville and the rooms of the hotel are backed off from fayeteville making the retail more noticable... just a design thing i guess. Just my opinion though i think it looks more modern, the old one looks like typical mariott airport hotel i guess. Oh well atleast were getting a building. But yea it would be nice to see some color on this

atlrvr    1002

I like the new one I think, but like Norff said, I would have to see it in color.....it seems a bit more modern and urban, the old seems like it should be in an office park.

orulz    106

Although an improvement from the old design, I think the new design seems to be too busy. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've seen it in color.

I sort of like the old design better, with the curves and all. Raleigh has too many squarish looking buildings as it is. And I like that spire that it had on it, looks almost miamish to me. It looked so much more 21st Century. Oh well, it will at to the skyline anyway.

blueize74    0

I did a bit of research into Stormont's previous work. It seems that the new design may be very similar to one that they have done on a Renaissance Hotel in Portsmouth, VA.

Here's a pic of the Virginia hotel.

Renaissance2.GIF

I found this rendering also, but there are no details on what/where this hotel it is. This is similar to the design we're seeing from Livable Streets. Compare this

Marriott%20Flag.jpg

To this (the actual):

Rufus    44

blueize74, i think that first pic is the one planned for winston-salem. they are renovating i think the adam's mark into a marriott hotel.

The Conceptual drawing of Marriott Hotel  in raleigh has been updated and thankfully so.  I like it much better than what I have been seeing.  It looks alot like the progress energy building, but it also blends in well with the new convention center which is great.

Heres some pics  all are from the livable streets website...

New conceptual drawing

The drawing we have been seeing..

raleigh%20rendering.gif

elevations of the site, the north elevation looks alot like the new progress energy building

I very much so like the new one better.  Plus theres the features that the hotel is adding too...

400 guest rooms

15,000 square feet meeting rooms including 6000 square foot ballroom

Two-story restaurant / tavern

Coffee Shop

Other retail for rent facing Fayetteville Street

Health Spa, outdoor pool

Indoor connection to Convention Center

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also the design will be like the progress energy building. this is from the convention center project website.

March 15, 2005

The developer of a planned headquarters hotel for the new downtown convention center presented a schematic design plan for the four-star facility at the Raleigh City Council meeting on March 15. Appearing at the meeting were representatives of Stormont-Noble Development of Atlanta and the development company

blueize74    0

The new 500,000-square-foot convention center will be located just west of the existing convention center, which will be demolished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any word on when the demolition is to take place?

blueize74    0

Based on what we know about the new convention center hotel, here is what I came up with as a rough rendering. It's obviously not to scale or location but it may give us an idea of what the new hotel could look like.

CV_hotel.jpg

blueize74    0

It looks from this model that the hotel is 90 degrees, but the site plan does have the long axis running north and south

Model.gif

I have updated the rendering - be sure to refresh your browser to get the latest pic at the top of this thread.