Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

o hell... a huge glass triangle would rock!!!!!!! since we ARE the largest city in the TRIANGLE, and there are NO glass buildings downtown... I love the way glass buildings reflect the city that surrounds them. they make for some great pictures... i have yet to see the rendering of how the hotel is supposed to look downtown... but the pics i have seen really look pretty blah.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just put all of the renderings and my BIG thumbs down review of the new Marriott on Raleighing:

http://www.raleighing.com/2006/01/factsthis_past_.html

Folks, we can do better than this. Take a look at my 2nd rendering and tell me if you think this change would add too much to the costs. I've written a letter to every council rep and planning commissioner. I beg all of you to do so as well if you think this building is only a tiny step different than the Radisson/Sheraton, like I do.

Honestly, I think design would be an enourmous lost opportunity to add something interesting to the skyline. I honestly would rather not see the building built at all if they are going to build the current, Westgate Tower-looking design. Somebody certainly would come along soon and want to build something with totally private funding. This is the easiest time to have our voices heard, though. Let's do this thing right.

ok, so you are my new hero... that raleighing piece was great! now, my stupid question is: how do i find out what district I live in, so I can email the appropriate representative? I live on Bernard street off Whitaker Mill, in 27608, if that helps. The changes you talk about making are pretty simple, yet make a huge impact. all we are asking for is a little ornamentation basically. with 20 million dollars, that is hardly a lot to ask. jeez...

How do i find out what district I live in, so I can email the appropriate representative? I live on Bernard street off Whitaker Mill, in 27608, if that helps.

You are in District B, so your Rep is [email protected].

He asked a really good question, I think. Here are a few links:

* Voting District Map (.pdf file)

* Representative names by district

Don't forget that the Mayor and the At-Large members, Kekas and Stephenson, represent you as well.

Some more interesting maps are located at this page.

I've just put all of the renderings and my BIG thumbs down review of the new Marriott on Raleighing:

Folks, we can do better than this. Take a look at my 2nd rendering and tell me if you think this change would add too much to the costs. I've written a letter to every council rep and planning commissioner. I beg all of you to do so as well if you think this building is only a tiny step different than the Radisson/Sheraton, like I do.

Honestly, I think design would be an enourmous lost opportunity to add something interesting to the skyline. I honestly would rather not see the building built at all if they are going to build the current, Westgate Tower-looking design. Somebody certainly would come along soon and want to build something with totally private funding. This is the easiest time to have our voices heard, though. Let's do this thing right.

Great work. My personal favorite is the Gran Estan Plaza version with the brown roof. That would definitely add to the skyline. Its amazing what a little creativity can do to improve a building.

Although your version of the building would add to the skyline, I think it would be better if the Council started over with the design completely. As the hotel is currently designed and sited, its horrible that it blocks the view of One Progress Plaza. I really like that building. It adds some diversity to DT from that angle. A taller, less wide building would be more impactful and not add one boring building to the skyline while blocking one our more destinctive structures.

You have a gift with photo editing. It adds alot to this forum. When will you be running for city council? I'll help with your campaign.

That does make a huge difference. It probably does add a nice bit to the costs but at this point I think the hotel is quite economical without a subsidy so with our $20M kicked in it should be a piece of cake.

^^^ Obviously, the proposed design is terrible. Something along the lines of the second pic above would be an great improvement.

I'm kind of surprised Progress Energy hasn't weighed in on this. With the hotel in its current orientation completely blocks the Progess Buidlings....maybe its time for a new 'money shot' of Raleigh.

^^^ Obviously, the proposed design is terrible. Something along the lines of the second pic above would be an great improvement.

I'm kind of surprised Progress Energy hasn't weighed in on this. With the hotel in its current orientation completely blocks the Progess Buidlings....maybe its time for a new 'money shot' of Raleigh.

This is another way for HQ that relocate to downtown to rethink their height as it will only be a few years before their exposure to the postcard picture will be overshadowed by new development.

Hopefully this will make anyone new think Tall and not just 20-30 floors

I wonder if the city council does reject the proposal...will the Noble Group bow out of the project? This could mean huge delays for the hotel -- but this is a very very important project, I hope leaders on both sides can make this deal work. (i.e. Noble needs to quit being so damn stubborn on the EFIS) :)

There are dozens of other materials they could possibly use on that building besides EFIS. I say approve the bid as is, with a stipulation that some other material be used instead of the fake stucco. Whatever it is it should match the convention center in that light gray color. I just hope they don't pick a brick exterior. :angry: That would be ugly and oh so "Raleigh like", If they do I'm moving to Charlotte.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

The 3-1 vote against the yucco stucco was by the Council's Comprehensive Plan Committee, not the city Planning Commission. Three of the eight Council members are against the stucco (and the absence of a door on Salisbury Street, and the strip-mall appearance on Fayetteville Street, and so on). However, it is entirely possible that, with a few little tweaks and better sketches of the same thing, the hotel will be approved next week by the full Council on a 5-3 vote. It all depends on Mayor Meeker, who was showing his impatience yesterday with the critics of the project) and on Councilor Philip Isley, who's quoted in the N&O as not up to speed on the issue, but sympathetic (as usual) to the developer, in this case Stormont-Noble.

The 3-1 vote against the yucco stucco was by the Council's Comprehensive Plan Committee, not the city Planning Commission. Three of the eight Council members are against the stucco (and the absence of a door on Salisbury Street, and the strip-mall appearance on Fayetteville Street, and so on). However, it is entirely possible that, with a few little tweaks and better sketches of the same thing, the hotel will be approved next week by the full Council on a 5-3 vote. It all depends on Mayor Meeker, who was showing his impatience yesterday with the critics of the project) and on Councilor Philip Isley, who's quoted in the N&O as not up to speed on the issue, but sympathetic (as usual) to the developer, in this case Stormont-Noble.

Philip said that he thought the new convention center looked a little too much like a gymnasium. I am suprised that he hasn't come out saying that this Marriott looks a little too much like a row of gym lockers!

Archived