Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The convention center looks too much like a gigantic bread box to me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally I like the design, but when I see that rendering I can't help but think "Holy jeez, is it really going to be that big?! and they're actually talking about expanding it at some point in the future?

• 6 months later...

Alot of people see the scale of this project as a let down. Especially since the Greenboro Convention Center Hotel has 1001. I'm guessing because it is the only quality hospitality place within the immediate area.

I'd actually love to see a rendering of our Hotel and Convention center superimposed on to the existing superimposed rendering of just the RCC.

I welcome our first legitimate DT 4 star hotel. 2008, the completion date, can not come soon enough.

DanRNC, incredible virtual tour. I had thought I had seen a tour of the RCC but not with that much detail.

boooorrrrrriiiinnggggggg. I hate it when I can look at a building and tell you where the elevator is. Not that I think a daring hotel that turns out to be an eyesore is the answer (like Charlotte's enormously disappointing John Portman entry, the Westin

038815A.jpg

),

but AT LEAST give us something interesting! This Marriott thing looks like the Raleigh phone book on its edge.

boooorrrrrriiiinnggggggg. I hate it when I can look at a building and tell you where the elevator is. Not that I think a daring hotel that turns out to be an eyesore is the answer (like Charlotte's enormously disappointing John Portman entry, the Westin

(image)

),

but AT LEAST give us something interesting! This Marriott thing looks like the Raleigh phone book on its edge.

I agree that the hotel is too basic. The convention center itself is nice though; seems similarly styled to the RBC Center. They can always build more hotels though. Gah, if it were the Glenn Tree tower it would be perfect.

It's a little on the bland side, but I especially like that they've made the car entrance on the side, and put the coffee shop and restaurant on Fayetteville Street. That's as big an impact (bigger?) than the skyline photo. Although, I think it will look nice. I think the Progress building looks a bit on the flat side by day, but have you seen it when it's lit up at night? It's stunning.

I think the Marriott and the Sheraton will make a nice combo, plus the boutique hotel they're talking about for the block just south. Now if they could convert the Sir Walter back to a hotel (can't you just see a 5-star showplace?), we'd have quite an impressive convention district on the south end of downtown.

038815A.jpg

),

Yeh that Westin is sooo boring---maybe Raleigh can get another iconic brick prison like the Sheraton...or maybe another round Clarion.....

Let us try to remember that this schematic is in black and white. Once a color palette hits this drawing and perhaps some renderings we will probably be surprised. I think the design meshes will with existing newer designs in the surrounding area.

I don't think Raleigh's DT wants to incorporate edgy designs as we are still in our infantile stage concerning establishing an attractive center for people to dwell. Boring, is better than having an eyesore in my book. I would be inclined to room in this building. And not as inclined to stay in the "floppy disk".

And if function gives way to design then I am all for it. Finally, Raleigh will be able to host events. Sheraton Imperial and Durham Marriott have been getting events that Raleigh did not have the hotel accomadations for. Finally we are getting a real Grand Ballroom in a hotel. Have any of you guys seen how pitiful (size wise) the Sheraton's is?

I will say that I prefer this design over the initial one. And I love how the hotel shares design cues with the RCC's adjacent side.

Let us try to remember that this schematic is in black and white. Once a color palette hits this drawing and perhaps some renderings we will probably be surprised. I think the design meshes will with existing newer designs in the surrounding area.

This is very true. BTW, the Charlotte Westin maybe daring but overall it comes across as a lot more ugly than architecturally relevant.

Yeh that Westin is sooo boring---maybe Raleigh can get another iconic brick prison like the Sheraton...or maybe another round Clarion.....

In the grand scheme of GREAT John Portman Buildings (Atlanta's Hyatt, Peachtree plaza, Inforum, Marriott Marquis, The tower next to the Hyatt, SF's Hyatt, several others), the CLT Westin one is one only one that is just blehk. I thought CLT had really hit a home run when this was announced, but the final product shows that Portman is definitely on the back side of his career. (probably scribbled it on a cocktail napkin and got the young grunts to take care of the rest)

Don't take this as a CLT attack, though. I think Pelli's masterpiece (NB tower) is one of the greatest buildings in the world.

I think the new Marriott is a pretty typical design for a convention center hotel. I used to stay at the Hyatt at McCormick Place in Chicago and it looks rather "boring" too. I think it will add to the skyline and won't detract from the convention center. I'm not sure that they were going for an iconic look when designing this thing. After all, it is only 16 stories and the convention center itself is the more noticeable landmark. I don't think they wanted it to jump out at you but tie in more or less. It is located in a position of the skyline that will make it very noticeable irregardless of its design.

Here is the old and new sketches to show contrast.

Old design

1.jpg

New Design

hotel_perspective_salisbury_300.gif

When giving a close look (attention to ground floor) the new design is far superior as far as design. Look closely. It has awesome touches. What much more open and grand entrance that is more welcoming.

The old design looks like it should go up as the Progress Energy hotel and be right next to Two Progress Plaza.

Archived