Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

Simple enough, a hotel mixed with office space and condos has more leeway to spend, assuming a market exists for everything. This particular hotel could be done economically but much better looking if it were simply shaped like more than a box. Same materials, just rearrange the rooms, add floors.

I'll stop being a grinch though. I think eventually Raleigh's downtown will get a much nicer hotel. We're in a transition stage, so it might not really matter.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple enough, a hotel mixed with office space and condos has more leeway to spend, assuming a market exists for everything. This particular hotel could be done economically but much better looking if it were simply shaped like more than a box. Same materials, just rearrange the rooms, add floors.

I'll stop being a grinch though. I think eventually Raleigh's downtown will get a much nicer hotel. We're in a transition stage, so it might not really matter.

Assuming the convention center has shows that book up the hotel, there will be more hotels to come.

I have not been on Fayetteville Mall but once this entire year. I guess it kind of shows you the lack of draw to that part of downtown. I've been to Glenwood South several times, the performing arts center, a few restaurants downtown and unfortunately the courthouse. There really is not a draw to Fayetteville Street at this time. I did go to Port City Java for a tall caffe mocha which was awesome :)

My question is regarding the future of this street. It is the primary focus to the city's rebirth and its success is crucial at nixing all of the naysayers about the money spent on tearing up the mall. What kind of things would you like to see on the newly opened Fayetteville Street that will bring you there? How much available space is actually on Fayetteville Street for development? Are there already existing businesses sweating out the construction who plan on sticking around once the street is complete? If so, they can't be a big draw. How much opportunity for small business development is there and what do you guys see shaking out?

I have spent much time but last 2 times I was there was how much open space is at street level. Should be plenty of room to really get the streetscape going. (I go to Slims some at night) I think it is a case of demand and investment. I hope for restaurants and bars but I would also really like to see retail.

I will say when I was down there and saw so many 'for lease" space, it looks like all the buildings are empty, but my understanding is the buildings are OK full, but the street level is struggling. I hope this helps as I have told so many people this is the way and have ending up in so strong disagreements.

I use to think we should not do this until my Landscpate Arch friend convinced me back in 1992 this was the way to go and even then, he pointed out Greenville, SC as a basis in the mid -90s.

• 1 month later...

The closer we get to construction actually starting on this hotel, the colder my feet get.

I keep hoping that someone's going to wake up, say "Wait a second" and ask the hotel developers to start over from scratch. I even preferred the original renderings that some panned as "suburban" to this cereal box. Or, better yet, let's have a taller, narrower building that doesn't take up the entire half of the convention center lot. Leave the other part for another building and have another RFP on it. As it is, this is going to be a 300 foot wide, 150 foot tall WALL along Fayetteville street. That's 1.5 times as wide as the Sheraton, and not as tall either. Think Sullivan Residence hall. Think Westgrove (the tower behind the K-mart on Western Boulevard.) There's no way a building of these proportions can be anything but a monstrocity.

How much money does the city have in this thing again? Why should we have to put up with crap! They really need to go back to the drawing board, before construction has begun and it's too late.

Have they decided what they are gonna do with the open block next to the convention center? Last I heard, it was gonna be just an open grassy area. I think that would work really nice in that area - maybe we'll get some development where those car repair shops are that would front the west side of the grass. We have a bunch of parks downtown, but on sunny days, sometimes you just wanna sit/play on the grass without thousands of oak trees blocking the sun.

Another thing, I have a feeling that they are gonna try to do something "special" with this open area, but all they really need to do is have some green grass (maybe some benches), but just keep it simple. And who knows, if that doesnt work, you can always get all fancy with it later.

My biggest concern is that it is actually a 4 star hotel. Their are no written rules about what makes a 4 star. In fact, what I have read, (and I could be wrong), the written requirements from the city say something like "4 star like quality" (don't quote me) which leaves it open.

There are numerous Marriotts that are not 4 star, in fact, I would say the majority of them are not. I usually don't think of Marriott as a 4 star property, but some can be. I usually think of Conrad or Sofitel as solid 4 star. I have stayed in some really nice hotels that were considered 3 1/2 stars, but had to take a few steps forward to make it to the next level.

If we are paying $20M and we get the standard Marriott, and a standard convention center Marriott on top of that, then there could be issues and the afternoon radio may-sayers will have a field day.....

i just watched the WRAL video, and am kind of nervous... from all angles it pretty much looks like an old airport hotel. and no entrance on fayetteville street!?!?! i hope the city leaders dig their heels in on this one... i think we are getting the shaft.

They showed a rendering of the convention center and hotel and how they will look in downtown (everyone should be familiar of the one with just the convention center). The hotel is obviously not put in to scale...it looks a LOT taller than what I think it will actually be. Maybe its just me, but what do you guys think?

btw, the design...bland -- I'm glad the city council is fighting tooth and nail to get something decent.

They showed a rendering of the convention center and hotel and how they will look in downtown (everyone should be familiar of the one with just the convention center). The hotel is obviously not put in to scale...it looks a LOT taller than what I think it will actually be. Maybe its just me, but what do you guys think?

btw, the design...bland -- I'm glad the city council is fighting tooth and nail to get something decent.

Agreed. What a debacle it has been to this point. I hope the city council continues to fight this one. The design is somewhat blah and the $20 million in tax support should justify a little extra. I'm sure there is a timeline that has to be considered so construction can start. Hopefully, they will get a design that will gain approval before too long. Maybe they should have gone with another design team.

The rendering does look extra tall. The hotel is 15 stories? In then rendering it completely blocks the view of the 20-story Progress Energy building.

This is a minor complaint but the color blends with the BB&T building too much. It doesn't look distinctive. It should feature more glass, IMO.

Does anyone have an idea for a unique building for Raleigh?

We all want something unique and pleasing for the area.... what should it look like? (being an engineer, I can only think of things with 90 degree angles and could only design a box.... so I as the forum).

Yes...how about triangles??? It only seems appropriate.

Archived