Should Benton County go Wet?

Should Benton County go Wet?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should Benton County allow Liquor sales

• Yes
    • No

I knew that this was coming up, so I decided to make a topic out of this.

Do you think that Benton County should go wet?

It is the second most populated county in the state, and currently only private clubs are allowed to sell liquor. Rogers has around 40 private clubs and Bentonville around 15 or so. We are loosing some money from liquor sales to Washington County and McDonald County.

My vote is yes, not because of access to liquor :P , but because we could use some more tax money floating around here in Benton County.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew that this was coming up, so I decided to make a topic out of this.

Do you think that Benton County should go wet?

It is the second most populated county in the state, and currently only private clubs are allowed to sell liquor. Rogers has around 40 private clubs and Bentonville around 15 or so. We are loosing some money from liquor sales to Washington County and McDonald County.

My vote is yes, not because of access to liquor :P , but because we could use some more tax money floating around here in Benton County.

I also agree, although my county stands to lose out a little if it does. But I think McDonald County in Missouri benefits more than Washington County. And there's more Arkansas funds going out of state. I've wondered if Benton County's status on alcohol has kept many if any people away. Are some people more likely to live in Washingotn County just because of this? Or does it not really make that big of a difference as to whether people decide to live there or not? I also wonder if they do go wet, whether they will take the Washington County method and not allow alcohol sales in gorcery stores or go more for what most of the other wet counties in Arkansas do.

They probably wouldn't allow liquor to be sold in grocery stores. The Supercenter up in McDonald county does, and man, they have the largest liquor department in any Wal-Mart establishment in the U.S. They say that it was built that big simply because of all the Benton County residents not being able to buy packaged sales of liquor.

They probably wouldn't allow liquor to be sold in grocery stores. The Supercenter up in McDonald county does, and man, they have the largest liquor department in any Wal-Mart establishment in the U.S. They say that it was built that big simply because of all the Benton County residents not being able to buy packaged sales of liquor.

Yeah I heard about that supercenter. But Benton County could allow it in grocery stores. I think Washington County is odd in that aspect. It has more to do with the fact that a particular family has control of many of the liquor stores in Washington County and they have enough influence to keep the board from overturning the law here. Hopefully Benton County can keep this family out oftheir area. One thing I look forward to is maybe having other quality liquor stores to look for items that I have a hard time finding here. Although since they have to go through the same handful of distributors that Arkansas law allows there's probably not too great a chance of that. I've heard Liquor World on College Ave here in Fayetteville sells more wine than any other place in Arkansas.

That's a cool fact about Liqour World. I didn't know that but that is interesting.

I'm not sure if we would allow liquor sales in grocery stores. We are already having to battle some tough competition from some local churches, and I'm not sure if they would want liquor to be that accesible to their children and such. I don't know, but I would like to see it. It would build on people grocery shopping, who could buy their liquor also. I'm hoping it will get passed on the election. I would really like to see an upscale liquor store in the area as well. May'be in the Pinnacle area or so.

The possibility of an entertainment district is another thing.

That's a cool fact about Liqour World. I didn't know that but that is interesting.

I'm not sure if we would allow liquor sales in grocery stores. We are already having to battle some tough competition from some local churches, and I'm not sure if they would want liquor to be that accesible to their children and such. I don't know, but I would like to see it. It would build on people grocery shopping, who could buy their liquor also. I'm hoping it will get passed on the election. I would really like to see an upscale liquor store in the area as well. May'be in the Pinnacle area or so.

The possibility of an entertainment district is another thing.

That is one thing that does allow better anf bigger liquor stores here is the fact you can't buy any alcohol in grocery stores. When I visit family in Albuquerque I was surprised to see how few liquor stores there were for a city so much bigger than what's in Arkansas. But then I realize alcohol is everywhere there. You can buy hard liquor in grocery stores and even on convient stores and gas stations. So this cuts down the need for many liquor stores. But I often try to hit one before I come back to find wine, scotch, or tequila I have a hard time finding in Arkansas.

That is one thing that does allow better anf bigger liquor stores here is the fact you can't buy any alcohol in grocery stores. When I visit family in Albuquerque I was surprised to see how few liquor stores there were for a city so much bigger than what's in Arkansas. But then I realize alcohol is everywhere there. You can buy hard liquor in grocery stores and even on convient stores and gas stations. So this cuts down the need for many liquor stores. But I often try to hit one before I come back to find wine, scotch, or tequila I have a hard time finding in Arkansas.

I would like to see it more in stores designated as liquor stores. I think a lot of the residents are going to throw a fit if it's in Supercenters and such. But I guess it's always a possibility. We really needs something like a Kroger or Albertsons to put liquor in.

I would like to see it more in stores designated as liquor stores. I think a lot of the residents are going to throw a fit if it's in Supercenters and such. But I guess it's always a possibility. We really needs something like a Kroger or Albertsons to put liquor in.

Yeah I could see it being passed more easily if it were just in liquor stores and not in grocery stores. As far as Liquor World being the top in the state in wine, I think northwest Arkansas has a better appreciation for wine than the rest of the state. The only problem I have with that is that Arkansas wine tends to be looked down upon here than the rest of the state. I realize Arkansas isn't going to be confused with Napa Valley, but all of the wine in Arkansas isn't bad. We actually do pretty well with some Cynthiana here in the state. It's even starting to get some notice but other states like Missouri do a better job with their wineries than Arkansas does.

Because of its growth, it's only a matter of time before it goes wet.

And jeez, you guys are machines! All those posts..it's like a personal dialogue between you guys..................

I agree with Johnny, I do believe it's only a matter of when not if. Oh and Johnny, Matt and I decided you weren't spending enough time on here so we purposely put a lot of posts on here for you to read. :P

I think having the extra tax dollars would help the county, and I agree with Mith and Johnny in that, if Benton County is growing quickly, it's just a matter of time before it goes wet.

Not just because of that but also because there are a lot of out of state people moving into Benton County because of Wal-mart. I also think it's not long before the number of out of state people who are used to being in a wet county will outnumber the 'oldtimers' the people who have lived in the county before the big boom and are used to it being dry.

Not just because of that but also because there are a lot of out of state people moving into Benton County because of Wal-mart. I also think it's not long before the number of out of state people who are used to being in a wet county will outnumber the 'oldtimers' the people who have lived in the county before the big boom and are used to it being dry.

Similar things have been going on in southern Alabama counties concerning the lottery.

In Benton County, is it "oldtimers" vs "newcomers" in terms of yes/no for it becoming a dry county?

As far as Liquor World being the top in the state in wine, I think northwest Arkansas has a better appreciation for wine than the rest of the state.

Mith, spare me. :rolleyes: On what do you base such a claim?

Regarding the poll topic, I say let's keep that money inside the state. Is this issue coming to a vote soon, or are y'all just speculating?

Mith, spare me. :rolleyes: On what do you base such a claim?

Regarding the poll topic, I say let's keep that money inside the state. Is this issue coming to a vote soon, or are y'all just speculating?

I don't have any concrete figures but I've been led to believe this area of the state leads the rest of the state in wine sales. I'm not saying other areas of the state don't appreciate wine. I'm sure Little Rock has plenty that do, but in my opinion I think northwest Arkansas seems to be more into wine. So do you have any proof to prove otherwise? :P

But seriously, it looks like the wet/dry issue will be going to a vote. But I'm not sure when it will be. Maybe Matt can fill us in on that.

Similar things have been going on in southern Alabama counties concerning the lottery.

In Benton County, is it "oldtimers" vs "newcomers" in terms of yes/no for it becoming a dry county?

I don't think it's as simple as that. I'm pretty sure there are people who have grown up there and would like the county dry. I've heard some of the newcomers who don't want the county wet also. But I do think that it certainly plays a part in it. Maybe I'll make Arkansawyer mad with another opinion of mine ( :lol: ) but I think it's more a economics vs conservative religious faction.

I don't have any concrete figures but I've been led to believe this area of the state leads the rest of the state in wine sales. I'm not saying other areas of the state don't appreciate wine. I'm sure Little Rock has plenty that do, but in my opinion I think northwest Arkansas seems to be more into wine. So do you have any proof to prove otherwise? :P

But seriously, it looks like the wet/dry issue will be going to a vote. But I'm not sure when it will be. Maybe Matt can fill us in on that.

You can't just say things like "I've been led to believe" and have anyone take you seriously. Without evidence your opinion is baseless.

No, I don't have numbers, but I'm not the one who made the claim. Using logic, however, it would seem that Pulaski County, which is twice the size of Washington County, would sell more wine. Do you think that's a reasonable assumption?

You can't just say things like "I've been led to believe" and have anyone take you seriously. Without evidence your opinion is baseless.

No, I don't have numbers, but I'm not the one who made the claim. Using logic, however, it would seem that Pulaski County, which is twice the size of Washington County, would sell more wine. Do you think that's a reasonable assumption?

Okay I don't have hard figures. The reason why I think this because I like wine and I tend to ask questions at the liquor stores. I have had two different liquor store owners tell me that when new wines becomes available to the distributors in Arkansas they usually show the new wines to the northwest Arkansas market because that's where the business is. I don't have any proof and I can't prove that they didn't lie to me. But I would find it odd that two different liquor stores not owned by the same people would tell me this. Unless these people have unrealistic assumptions about the wine business in Arkansas I assumed this to be true. Sorry I didn't give a longer answer earlier I was just on for a bit and didn't want to get into the longer response. I can see where you're coming from, because that's what I would have assumed also. That Little Rock being the biggest city and Pulaski being the biggest county that this would be where wine would probably be taken more seriously. I'm not sure what all of this is based off of, quantity of wine, quality of wine sold or what. I have no hard facts on this either but I also have gotten the opinion that Arkansas wines are less appreciated here in northwest Arkansas than elsewhere in the state. I have visited wineries in the state and mentioned not always being able to find their products in liquor stores in northwest Arkansas. I have gotten the impression that Arkansas wineries aren't as appreciated as other areas of the state. As though most people in northwest Arkansas or perhaps the liquor store owners in northwest Arkansas don't value Arkansas wines and equate it to being 'cheap'. If anyone did have any info or facts I would find it interesting to find if all of this or any of it holds true. I didn't mean to imply that people in Little Rock or central Arkansas don't appreciate wine. Sorry if I came across the wrong way. As I said I'm sure there are plenty of people that can rival people in northwest Arkansas on wine and knowledge of it. But at this moment I am under the impression that as a whole the populace here in northwest Arkansas have more of a taste for wine than do people in other areas of the state.

After I had already logged off and turned off the computer I had another thought. I'm not sure how much of a factor it could play but I suppose there's a possibility of certain people like the Waltons and Tysons could skew figures in there area. I've been to the liquor stores when they've loaded some pretty large amounts of wine into someone's vehicle before. Once again just a thought I wanted to throw out there after my longwinded post.

Mith mith mith....funny guy. I forgot the specific term for the logical fallacy you're using....I believe it's the "red herring" argument (off the top of my head). Basically, you're saying because Arkansawyer can't prove otherwise, your conclusion (that NWA appreciates wine most) must be true..... And of course, that doesn't work at all.

or were you kidding... ah... no biggie.

Mith mith mith....funny guy. I forgot the specific term for the logical fallacy you're using....I believe it's the "red herring" argument (off the top of my head). Basically, you're saying because Arkansawyer can't prove otherwise, your conclusion (that NWA appreciates wine most) must be true..... And of course, that doesn't work at all.

or were you kidding... ah... no biggie.

Well I was saying it more out of kidding. I may be wrong on this and I suppose I should have stated what I had to say in a better way. But I have been given reason to believe by people in the liquor business here in Fayetteville that northwest Arkansas is the top area for wine in the state. I admit I don't know if we're talking about volume or in dollar amounts as in we sell more high priced wines or what. I had two different people in two seperate liquor stores give me that impression. If I am wrong I apologize. As I said I should have done a better job stating all of this from the beginning. I also responded back in some ways back to Arkanssawyer in a jesting manner. If this was taken the wrong way I also apologize to Arkansawyer or anyone else who may have been offended. I also didn't mean for it to sound like I was putting down any other area because of it's wine habits. Hopefully this has been straightened out at least some what and hopefully I have offended anyone or they have accepted my apologies. I didn't mean to cause such a commotion on this topic. If there are any other problems please let me know.

Okay I don't have hard figures. The reason why I think this because I like wine and I tend to ask questions at the liquor stores. I have had two different liquor store owners tell me that when new wines becomes available to the distributors in Arkansas they usually show the new wines to the northwest Arkansas market because that's where the business is. I don't have any proof and I can't prove that they didn't lie to me. But I would find it odd that two different liquor stores not owned by the same people would tell me this. Unless these people have unrealistic assumptions about the wine business in Arkansas I assumed this to be true. Sorry I didn't give a longer answer earlier I was just on for a bit and didn't want to get into the longer response. I can see where you're coming from, because that's what I would have assumed also. That Little Rock being the biggest city and Pulaski being the biggest county that this would be where wine would probably be taken more seriously. I'm not sure what all of this is based off of, quantity of wine, quality of wine sold or what. I have no hard facts on this either but I also have gotten the opinion that Arkansas wines are less appreciated here in northwest Arkansas than elsewhere in the state. I have visited wineries in the state and mentioned not always being able to find their products in liquor stores in northwest Arkansas. I have gotten the impression that Arkansas wineries aren't as appreciated as other areas of the state. As though most people in northwest Arkansas or perhaps the liquor store owners in northwest Arkansas don't value Arkansas wines and equate it to being 'cheap'. If anyone did have any info or facts I would find it interesting to find if all of this or any of it holds true. I didn't mean to imply that people in Little Rock or central Arkansas don't appreciate wine. Sorry if I came across the wrong way. As I said I'm sure there are plenty of people that can rival people in northwest Arkansas on wine and knowledge of it. But at this moment I am under the impression that as a whole the populace here in northwest Arkansas have more of a taste for wine than do people in other areas of the state.

This website shows that several wine distributors are located in Little Rock and none in Northwest Arkansas, except for Sam

Archived