Should Benton County go Wet?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should Benton County allow Liquor sales

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that surprises me. I'm not saying everyone in Benton County wants it to go wet. But I'm pretty sure there are more than enough just for the ballot. I'd also have to think that either there isn't enough word out there and people don't know and that they need some more visible areas to collect signatures.

I knew that this was coming up, so I decided to make a topic out of this.

Do you think that Benton County should go wet?

It is the second most populated county in the state, and currently only private clubs are allowed to sell liquor. Rogers has around 40 private clubs and Bentonville around 15 or so. We are loosing some money from liquor sales to Washington County and McDonald County.

My vote is yes, not because of access to liquor :P , but because we could use some more tax money floating around here in Benton County.

The tax dollars are a huge incentive, but everyone over the age of 21 should have access to alcohol. Dang it, it makes ugly girls pretty and it just makes you feel goooood! :D

The town I live in now is dry, as is the next town to my east. Just outside the town limits is a Pilot truck stop where I can buy beer, but If I want something stronger than beer I have to drive to Bossier City. Dang it. I hate small towns.

The dry parts of Dallas tend to be the higher crime areas while the wet ones make up the rich, low crime areas of North Dallas.

I think some of these Arkansas statistics are skewed by the fact that relatively low-crime LR suburban counties (Saline, Faulkner, and Lonoke) while urban Pulaski County is wet. Also, keep in mind that dry counties are rare in the impoverished, high crime delta while the Ozarks and Western AR are more often dry and have always been low-crime. I bet the crime numbers held true well before most Arkansas counties became dry when the men were overseas fighting in WWII.

Now, want to really make a point? Somebody figure out the percentage of white people vs black people in Arkansas dry counties vs wet. It's going to be a huge difference. Now tell me what the real factor is - race, population density, or alcohol sales. I prefer the middle one.

I still say that if that teenager from Benton County didn't have to drive to Springdale to get beer then he wouldn't have been as inebriated and that mother and her son he killed when his car went head on into their mini-van would be alive today. It kills me to think how her husband and the childs father who was also in the mini-van feels to this day. Of course the teenager who killed half his family was underage so they couldn't press criminal charges on him. The district attorney is going after the liquor store who sold him the beer. If he had been able to get beer in Benton County he may not have been driving drunk on the interstate driving at high speeds.

I still say that if that teenager from Benton County didn't have to drive to Springdale to get beer then he wouldn't have been as inebriated and that mother and her son he killed when his car went head on into their mini-van would be alive today. It kills me to think how her husband and the childs father who was also in the mini-van feels to this day. Of course the teenager who killed half his family was underage so they couldn't press criminal charges on him. The district attorney is going after the liquor store who sold him the beer. If he had been able to get beer in Benton County he may not have been driving drunk on the interstate driving at high speeds.

I agree. There are a lot of tragic, similar stories of college students at UCA and Hendrix driving into Pulaski County as well.

Things still aren't looking too good if you're wanting Benton County to go wet. I really think there are probably enough people interested. But it almost seems people are apathetic to signing up. I still think there's a good chance Benton County will end up being wet but it looks like it might not be anytime soon.

Things still aren't looking too good if you're wanting Benton County to go wet. I really think there are probably enough people interested. But it almost seems people are apathetic to signing up. I still think there's a good chance Benton County will end up being wet but it looks like it might not be anytime soon.

They just need to get signatures at the right place. I'm telling you, they should have set up at Wal-Marts, the Scottsdale Center, Movie Theatres, etc.

They just need to get signatures at the right place. I'm telling you, they should have set up at Wal-Marts, the Scottsdale Center, Movie Theatres, etc.

It's still possible but time is running out and considering how long it took to get the signatures they already have there's going to have to be a lot of people sign up rather quickly before the deadline.

They should set up outside of every wet establishment in benton co and probably those in washington + mcdonald counties near the benton co line.

Yeah, Like in the Scottsdale Center, I could see a Wet/Dry Petition at some of the hot restaurants there.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Your Choice Benton County isn't giving up yet.

The Organization is now going to pay people 50 cents per signature or $25 a page of people who want to see this on the ballot.

So far 13,000 signatures have been confirmed by the commission, with 3,000 to 5,000 signatures still possibly out there on petitions.

38,000 Signatures are needed for this to be on the ballot.

So this thing could be about halfway done, who knows we might be able to do it.

It looks like Your Choice Benton County isn't giving up yet.

The Organization is now going to pay people 50 cents per signature or $25 a page of people who want to see this on the ballot.

So far 13,000 signatures have been confirmed by the commission, with 3,000 to 5,000 signatures still possibly out there on petitions.

38,000 Signatures are needed for this to be on the ballot.

So this thing could be about halfway done, who knows we might be able to do it.

Wow, is that legal offering to pay for people to sign? It's still possible of course but they'll have to hurry considering how long it took to get what they already had.

A local business called Parachuting Penguins ( :lol: )

What the heck is a Parachuting Penguin? What do they do? There's also a local (Bentonville) business that will actually sell your stuff on Ebay for you. Now that's the ultimate form of entrepeneurship if there was any. Imagine paying someone to do something that was designed for you to do yourself at home to cut out the middle man. :lol:

They should set up outside of every wet establishment in benton co and probably those in washington + mcdonald counties near the benton co line.

That probably wouldn't work well, considering these are the major funders of the effort to keep it dry.

Same things happens in Faulkner Co every time they propose changing the law. The biggest contributors are a handful of Pulaski Co and Morrilton liquor stores followed by a couple of Baptist churches.

Strange bedfellows, indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else hear about Ronny Floyd coming out against the stadium in Springdale unless they promise to NOT sell beer. Ridicoulas IMO. As a fellow minister I think he is crazy about this one. The Bible does not say you shouldnt drink, it says you shouldnt get drunk. Big difference. And as far as that goes, public intoxication is already against the law. I figured this should go here, though thats happening in Washington County, because its the same issue I believe. Same type of person that says a guy cant have a beer at a game is the same one that would say selling alcohol in your county is wrong. My position; let them have a beer or drink, its theyre decision. Scripture is clear that its OK. Its also clear, when the Apostle Paul was discussing meat, that what is OK for one may not be for another, but let each person work this out between them and God. Then there was Jesus, with the best tasting "water" at the party. I will land where I believe Paul and Jesus would. Let them drink.

It looks like the signatures for the petitions have been deemed "unvalid", since the petitions have been sitting at locations without a supervising volunteer. We may have to wait another election to get this thing on the ballot.

I'm not surprised. It was a pathetic effort to get signatures. Probably rigged that way just so there wouldn't be a vote.

I've been out of the loop, but I've gotten the impression it's going to have to wait for another election as well. I still have to say I'm a bit surprised that it's not even going to get to a vote. Could be a while before it has a good shot at being voted in.

Archived