"The Common Framework"

GRDadof3

It takes me roughly 2 gallons to get here and back, at $5. If I'm going by myself, daily, that's $25/wk in gas (which about what I spend on gas for work). If i could sit on a train, not worry about snow, and work on my laptop during the commute that would be worth it to me. I have no idea what light rail usually charges, but at $3 round trip, i'd be saving $10/week or roughly $500/year on gas, plus be able to get stuff done while on my way in, which would lessen the time at work. :thumbsup:

I'd also like to add, there are a TON of cars with 1 person in them heading this way every morning, and back to GR at night.

/Just sayin

edit: Looks like chicago get $75 for thier "Chicago Card" 30-day unlimited use of train/buses or 3.75/day if JUST using it for commuting to work.

I agree it makes more sense for commuters and those who just drive by themselves on a regular basis. However, as soon as you add something like families or tourists to the mix, i.e. those who travel frequently together, the cost savings isn't great, and it becomes less practical. If you're in Grand Rapids during the summer and want to take the family to the beach, it's much easier to load up the minivan with toys and blankets and bathing suits than try to lug them onto a train.

And are there enough commuters in the West Michigan area to justify such a system? I'm not trying to be a downer here, just playing devil's advocate. If a proposal for a project such as this came, these would be the objectives people would have.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And are there enough commuters in the West Michigan area to justify such a system? I'm not trying to be a downer here, just playing devil's advocate. If a proposal for a project such as this came, these would be the objectives people would have.

I fully agree with this point. Me observing a few people in their car to holland definately doesn't justify a few billion (hundreds of millions?). In larger metro areas, where traffic is a pain, i've always assumed the people riding the trains/busses were the commuters, school aged kids, elderly, not the family of 4 and thier Dodge Caravan/Ford Exploring soccer parents :rofl: .

To your point, i'm not sure we have the commuter population needed to sustain such an investment.

Archived