NBA Dress Code

monsoon

Do you agree with the NBA's new Dress Code for Players?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the NBA's new Dress Code for Players?

• No
    • Yes
    • Makes no difference to me

The NBA has decreed that all players in the association will now have to dress at least business casual when at official events for the NBA or representing themselves as NBA players. i.e. no more hip hop clothes.

The NBA says they are making this move to improve the image of the league which is not very good right now. Critics say this move is racist as it targets the "culture" of young Black males and that the NBA is selling out to White America.

What do you think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic. Personally, I really could care less. I prefer to see them in uniform and playing as opposed to sitting on the bench anyway. However, I see where the NBA is coming from. They have an image problem, and they're trying to correct it. Of course, the race issue is there and there are those who will never let it go. I think the NBA's timing isn't the best. But then again, there really is no "good" time with a racially sensitive subject.

But the fact is, the players make millions of dollars by being a part of the league. As a private organization, the league should be allowed to implement rules as it sees fit. And most of us who work in the real world, who don't make millions of dollars, are subject to some form of a dress code in the workplace.

I firmly believe racism exists in this country and it happens everyday - we know this. However, not every issue that has a racial component to it is subject to qualification as racism. I see this as one of those issues. I'm sure there will be many who disagree.

Good topic. Personally, I really could care less. I prefer to see them in uniform and playing as opposed to sitting on the bench anyway. However, I see where the NBA is coming from. They have an image problem, and they're trying to correct it. Of course, the race issue is there and there are those who will never let it go. I think the NBA's timing isn't the best. But then again, there really is no "good" time with a racially sensitive subject.

But the fact is, the players make millions of dollars by being a part of the league. As a private organization, the league should be allowed to implement rules as it sees fit. And most of us who work in the real world, who don't make millions of dollars, are subject to some form of a dress code in the workplace.

I firmly believe racism exists in this country and it happens everyday - we know this. However, not every issue that has a racial component to it is subject to qualification as racism. I see this as one of those issues. I'm sure there will be many who disagree.

I agree. I don't really care about the dress code thing, but I agree that the NBA needs to clean up its image. The "selling out to white america" argument is ridiculous. I think the NBA simply wants their players to dress and conduct themselves in a dignified manner. Skin color has nothing to do with it IMO.

Archived