Map any ZIP code!

Neo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno - but sql querries are obviously available, hence the zip code search. And that querry was made on a GIS layer that does not reside on Google's site - so I would suggest the limitations are nearly endless.

But that won't mean advanced GIS analysis will be available, but I would expect to see people post demographic data, such as census tracts on the map. More advanced than the geocoded points that plenty of people have developed. Then we can chat about Google Earth, which with the premium package is essentially a basic GIS data viewer.

Google is cool.

But I didn't think about it before - but that zip code site is quite useful - there have been plenty of times I had to search a zip code quickly but was unable to.

Did you also notice that guy developed a county search tool? It isn't working properly though.

I dunno - but sql querries are obviously available, hence the zip code search. And that querry was made on a GIS layer that does not reside on Google's site - so I would suggest the limitations are nearly endless.

But that won't mean advanced GIS analysis will be available, but I would expect to see people post demographic data, such as census tracts on the map. More advanced than the geocoded points that plenty of people have developed. Then we can chat about Google Earth, which with the premium package is essentially a basic GIS data viewer.

Google is cool.

But I didn't think about it before - but that zip code site is quite useful - there have been plenty of times I had to search a zip code quickly but was unable to.

Did you also notice that guy developed a county search tool? It isn't working properly though.

This is kinda cool.

I too could see some simple GIS applications with this, but the stuff you can do with this software is rather limited. The power of Google Earth is amazing. The thing with GIS softare is that only those who are really interested will be willing to use it. What this, and Google, have done is make the simpler information and applications available to the average user, which I am all for :)

Not sure if these have been posted before, but here are a couple more. One is a Chicago Crime map, the other is a newer and yet unfinished mapping system that holds some promise for the spheres of Metro area influence:

http://www.chicagocrime.org/

and

http://www.commoncensus.org/index.php

Peace

That commoncensus site is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Not sure if these have been posted before, but here are a couple more. One is a Chicago Crime map, the other is a newer and yet unfinished mapping system that holds some promise for the spheres of Metro area influence:

http://www.chicagocrime.org/

and

http://www.commoncensus.org/index.php

Peace

That second site was actually interesting - but fyi, there are countless numbers of ims sites, primarily developed with ArcIMS. Only reason I mention this is this thread would be of more interest if it stayed on topic regarding Google Map sites, rather than general mapping sites.

I was tripping the town/city and county maps up pretty good with New England. It was getting tripped up by Dukes County, MA which is a collection of islands and Norfolk County, MA which has a non-contiguous portion surrounded by Plymouth County. The town/city on Cape Cod was useless, it was identifying each village within the Upper Cape towns, and even some small unihabited islands as seperate towns. Then there were heavily populated areas that it was saying were not part of any town, everything in Massachusetts is part of some town or other.

I respect that... however, the topic said nothing about "google maps". Seriously, what'a the deal? I thought it was an interesting link people would enjoy. Why bring that up? I'll be more than happy to leave this site. I do hope to reach folks who care however. tell me what you think. If I crossed some sort of line so be it, I'm out. If i just represented what folks might want to see, that too, is something of value.

Peace to you and peace to Detroit

I respect that... however, the topic said nothing about "google maps". Seriously, what'a the deal? I thought it was an interesting link people would enjoy. Why bring that up? I'll be more than happy to leave this site. I do hope to reach folks who care however. tell me what you think. If I crossed some sort of line so be it, I'm out. If i just represented what folks might want to see, that too, is something of value.

Peace to you and peace to Detroit

I'm trying to figure out what you're getting up in arms about? No moderator or admin has said anything about the links you posted.

I think he might be reffering to my post, which I don't mean to be critical, just commenting that the original post & subsequent posts were concerning 'hacking' Google maps. The posts that DetroitBazaar provided, though interensting, were developed using a internet-based mapping application called ArcIMS, which often incorporates scripting.

My intent wasn't to say 'shut up & get back on topic', though I apoligize if it did essentially sound like that to you. But it was to sggest there is a significant difference between the hacked Google map sites & the traditional ArcIMS approach. Essentially, the Google mapping sites provide a manner for any layperson to develop their own internet based mapping site, whereas traditionally it required purchase of expensive software, advanced networking applications & often a skilled professional to develop the site.

No worries at all! Thanks, that's about what it was, teshadoh. Sometimes message boards filter true meanings. I was more or less explaining why I posted the link. I appreciate you all. Hope I don't come off as harsh, I just wondered if I went into taboo land. Anyway, it was late, sorry if I came off the way I did. Google map hacking is indeed a wonderful thing and I have some links if you are all interested- though I'm sure most of you have seen them all!

Peace to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived