Nassau County?

wheretonow?

Hi Jacksonville!

After spending a rather frustrating 3 ays of house hunting, I am now considering Nassau County for our family's home. My husband works off Hecksher (as I posted in my school post sometime back), and we are looking for an under 30 minute commute. I was surprised at housing pricesin Mandarin & St Johns/ PV, they seem to be quite a bit higher than here in Pinellas County for a comparable home and neighborhood!

Anyway, we are looking north as it would make for a shorter commute(much shorter it seems).

Any tips??

Any comments on the Nassau Schools? Neighborhoods??

I can't believe this is so hard. I thought I had made decisions on mandarin or st johns, but so far no luck.

Thanks so much. ANy advice is appreciated greatly!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good schools and good neighborhoods overall. If you are talking schools, in my opinion I would rate St Johns County #1 and Nassau County #2. Nassau is a growing county too. You will find housing prices may be a little lower than Mandarin and St Johns County, but not drastically. You should be able to get a little more land with your house also. Good luck.

Nassau won't be a short commute for long. There are tens of thousands of houses planned for the Northside directly between Nassau and Hecksher. The road infrastructure also clearly won't be able to handle it, due to bad road layout. You'll be living in traffic sprawl hell eventually. Just fair warning.

But I understand your concern about inflated housing prices in Mandarin. My neightborhood has three houses for sale - all ugly 20+ year old ranch houses. None of them could be much over 2000 sq ft. Want to guess the prices?

$379,000, $439,000, and $499,000 !!! Utterly insane. I doubt they'll sell anywhere near such prices.

But honestly, I'd look a whole lot harder in Duval before settling for Nassau county.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jacksonville!

After spending a rather frustrating 3 ays of house hunting, I am now considering Nassau County for our family's home. My husband works off Hecksher (as I posted in my school post sometime back), and we are looking for an under 30 minute commute. I was surprised at housing pricesin Mandarin & St Johns/ PV, they seem to be quite a bit higher than here in Pinellas County for a comparable home and neighborhood!

Anyway, we are looking north as it would make for a shorter commute(much shorter it seems).

Any tips??

Any comments on the Nassau Schools? Neighborhoods??

I can't believe this is so hard. I thought I had made decisions on mandarin or st johns, but so far no luck.

Thanks so much. ANy advice is appreciated greatly!

I live on Amelia Island and my dad works at Blount Island and gets to work in 30 minutes. We choose Nassau county over Ponte Vedra due to its laid back lifestyle. It is a great place to live with a lot of good restaruants here. If you want more info just let me know.

NaNa

I live on Amelia Island and my dad works at Blount Island and gets to work in 30 minutes. We choose Nassau county over Ponte Vedra due to its laid back lifestyle. It is a great place to live with a lot of good restaruants here. If you want more info just let me know.

NaNa

I am ready to devour any info you might feel will help. I am having a really hard time finding a home and I'm hoping it is just a bad time of year. I will keep my eyes open, but hope things will get better in January (after holidays!) What would you opinion be of being on- island vs. North Hampton/ Oyster bay, off island areas?

Thanks so much.

Oh, and that is what we really like too... more relaxed, smaller community, (we're not the country club type)

Cindy

I am ready to devour any info you might feel will help. I am having a really hard time finding a home and I'm hoping it is just a bad time of year. I will keep my eyes open, but hope things will get better in January (after holidays!) What would you opinion be of being on- island vs. North Hampton/ Oyster bay, off island areas?

Thanks so much.

Oh, and that is what we really like too... more relaxed, smaller community, (we're not the country club type)

Cindy

Watson Realty is a great company along with Century 21 to look for rentals and homes for sale on and off the island. Being on island will give you the convience of both a Wal-Mart and K-mart to shop at along with great restaraunts downtown but can get a bit expensive. Not many of the neighboorhoods are country club-ish. My doctor lives out in Norht Hamptom and likes it out there. You can find a lot of new neigboorhoods going up out in Yulee area if that is what you are looking for. Most of eastern Nassau county is relxed minus the Plantation on Amelia Island. if you have any more questions, feel free to email me at frontroad(at)mac.com.

I have been doing alot of research on that area for some friends of ours who own a company near the airport and want to live up there and I highly recommend it. North Hampton is a real gem especially if you have children as it has amenities galore including a really nice outpost retreat-like cabin with a fire pit and dock with access to Lofton Creek (no power boats allowed, just canoes, kayaks and such). The golf course is the nicest (and toughest!) I've ever played and the home prices are very reasonable, especially when you consider that your basic cable and high speed internet are included in your association fees (about $100 a month). Oyster Bay is also beautiful although quite a bit pricier and a little more "aloof". Jax is less than 30 minutes and the new River City Marketplace is only 15 minutes away. There you will have movie theaters and plenty of shopping and eateries similar to St. John's Towncenter. In the coming years there will also be a HUGE development called Three Rivers that will go up on the other side of I95 at the A1A exit that will really blow up the area. If you're worried about traffic I suggest you move to Montana because noone will have it easy here in the near future. The price you pay for progress I guess. Good Luck

I have been doing alot of research on that area for some friends of ours who own a company near the airport and want to live up there and I highly recommend it. North Hampton is a real gem especially if you have children as it has amenities galore including a really nice outpost retreat-like cabin with a fire pit and dock with access to Lofton Creek (no power boats allowed, just canoes, kayaks and such). The golf course is the nicest (and toughest!) I've ever played and the home prices are very reasonable, especially when you consider that your basic cable and high speed internet are included in your association fees (about $100 a month). Oyster Bay is also beautiful although quite a bit pricier and a little more "aloof". Jax is less than 30 minutes and the new River City Marketplace is only 15 minutes away. There you will have movie theaters and plenty of shopping and eateries similar to St. John's Towncenter. In the coming years there will also be a HUGE development called Three Rivers that will go up on the other side of I95 at the A1A exit that will really blow up the area. If you're worried about traffic I suggest you move to Montana because noone will have it easy here in the near future. The price you pay for progress I guess. Good Luck

What is the Three Rivers establishment going to be all about? I haven't heard about this yet.

Well, I'm having trouble relocating the articles I've read about it, but it will be a large mixed use development just west of I95 at the A1A/Yulee exit. I'm guessing it wil be a year or so before they break ground and will take many years to complete. If you're up that way I'm sure any local realtor can give you more detailed information.

• 1 month later...

Watson Realty is a great company along with Century 21 to look for rentals and homes for sale on and off the island. Being on island will give you the convience of both a Wal-Mart and K-mart to shop at along with great restaraunts downtown but can get a bit expensive. Not many of the neighboorhoods are country club-ish. My doctor lives out in Norht Hamptom and likes it out there. You can find a lot of new neigboorhoods going up out in Yulee area if that is what you are looking for. Most of eastern Nassau county is relxed minus the Plantation on Amelia Island. if you have any more questions, feel free to email me at frontroad(at)mac.com.

I agree. I have a friend that lives in North Hampton and absolutely loves it, but you have to have some serious cash. If you're not in that boat, check these condos out www.amelialakes.com. They're right behind the Super Wal-Mart on a lake. $120's to $240's.

Archived