Is Hartford now on the right track? Poll

HartfordTycoon

Is Hartford on the right track?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Hartford will be a big national success story in the semi-near future?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you think the perception of the city in the region and CT overall are changing for the better?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Do you want to live in Downtown Hartford

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  4. 4. Do you expect to see Hartford's City population increase noticably within the next...

• 2 Years
    • 5 Years
    • 10 Years
    • Never

Just wanted to get a feel for the overall attitudes out there right now. It seem like a project is announced or breaks ground every week now. I must say that I am impressed and a bit surprised myself, and I was a booster when the future was a huge question mark.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jobs are crucial to the success of Hartford and every other urban core big or small. Having towns compete for companies that are already located in the area is not right first of all (ING going to East Hartford, WFSB to Rocky Hill). The area needs to work as a whole to get new companies into the area, preferably into Hartford but that will be hard because it is every town for themself in the area right now.

I agree that WFSB, and ING should have stayed downtown, however at least they didn't move out of state or to Fairfield county (Nothing against Fairfield). A little competition is good for the region, and I think over time the gains will out pace the loses. The Hartford region as a whole will only get stronger with additional space dowtown available. There is only so long prime space can remain empty downtown, especially with all this rebirth going on.

Now, if they could add some jobs, maybe get a big named Corporate Headquarters to move here (like they tried to do recently with Cigna, and Lincoln Financial), things would be rocketing right along....

I take it that both companies said no....can anyone think of any other companies to ask?

Well, I don't think "they said no" is the right way to think about it. Both Companies were looking to relocate their headquarters, both have large amounts of business in Hartford (or Bloomfield), so I think Hartford pitched them the idea. I think Cigna just relocated to another spot in Philly, and Lincoln might have chosen Philly too....

There was word a few months that Lincoln Financial Group would like to find more space in Hartford since they are outgrowing there space at Metro Center. They said they were just looking and if they do move they are committed to finding another space in Hartford. This is great news that Lincoln wants to keep Hartfor operations going and even find some more office space but lets just cross our finger we dont have another ING crisis happen.

Interesting poll. It's hard to answer any of those questions because you really never know what the future will bring; however, it would appear that the perception of the people who voted was mostly positive and that's a good sign in and of itself right there.

^Absolutely right. I think after we solve the problem of getting more "feet on the street", crime should be the next issue to tackle. We have to change the perception that Hartford is dangerous just as much as actually improving things on the ground. The reality is Hartford is one of the most dangerous cities in the US. But at the same time, those violent acts are 90% confined to a small 4 sq mile area that tourists or people traveling downtown to have fun will never encounter.

^ While violent crime is disproportionate in the North End, your estimate of 90% of the violence in Hartford is a gross exaggeration. Please don't forget that people live here and also don't forget that many visitors may want to check out the North End and it's wide array caribean and African American quisine. I would not discourage anyone from traveling to the North End during the day to stop by Scott's Jamaican Bakery with locations on Albany, Main, and Blue Hills or Rajan Cajun on Main street. I also would encourage people to widen their views above those portrayed in the media. I lived in the North End all my life and have never personally witnessed a violent crime. I have heard of them from people who did, unfortunately though.

You know, right after I wrote that I realized I had made a mistake. You're absolutely right, 90% is a gross exaggeration. If I had to make a better educated guess, it's probably around 65% or somewhere in that range. My post probably came across as arrogant and snobby, almost as if I said "the crime is only in the North End, who cares about that section of Hartford as long as they don't bother the people downtown." That is not at all what I intened. I apologize for my factually incorrect statements.

The point I'm trying to get across to outsiders is that Hartford is perceived (and ranked) as one of the most dangerous areas in large part because of the politcal boundries defining the city. (Because even today, when I talk to people from out of state, particularly NY where I live now, they think Hartford is coming back and looks impressive, but they complain about crime everytime.) When we're talking about a city made up of only 17 sq mi, with a good portion of those people living in poverty, it's no surprise it ranks so high.

The last time I spent more than an hour in the north end hanging out was in the year 2000, on Albany Avenue. I'd actually love to get out and experience it more, and really get a vibe of how the neighborhood feels and what the people living there think could be done to improve the north end. Maybe sometime you could take me on a tour Tycoon. ;) Or, if we ever get that meet together, we could all spend sometime checking out the North end.

• 4 months later...

Archived