Abrams Landing: Proposed Luxury Loft Building

RustTown

Yeah, most of those are pretty generic and popular designs (because of their low-cost, I assume).

As for my idea on retail, they really aren't that glamourous. To tell you the truth, I'd like to see an electronics store. Or, even another restaurant. Maybe even an upscale deli.

I'd name chain stores, too, but that's still years off probably.

BTW, what is the current working name of your proposal? I'd be interested to see if you will keep the Abrams name. Supposedly, he was the Father of Aerial Photography, a piece of history that we have here right in Lansing.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say try to attract a brew pub, maybe open up some of the first floor, have the main resuraunt in the basement and have a balcony on the first floor, hugging the walls, put the kettles in the front window, it would be nice. If the first floor can't be removed, just do it on the first floor, as long as the celings are a decent height it would still be a nice atmosphere.

You know something just came to my mind. What about a sports store that has a trading card shop. There is one like it in East Lansing, and it often is open until about 3:00 am with people play card tournaments in the basement. It is a unique thing, and wouldn't over saturate the market like another restaurant.

I guess I am not familiar with a 'card' shop. Are you talking....like a Hallmark shop?

There were three businesses that crossed my mind so far.

1. Try to 'steal' a manager or employee from Zingermans and open a cheese shop/deli (this one might be a little more dependent on easy parking). Seems to me that Roma could really fill the niche if they stepped it up just a little.

2. Tapas restaurant, so as not to be a direct competitor with other restaurants in town, along the lines of Sanchez or Small Plates.

3. Open a lounge, like Goodnight Gracies or Whiskey Blue. 621 and the Exchange used to fill the lounge niche, but 621 now has a band and has evolved into a different type of place. The Exchange is crowded enough that it takes forever to get a drink. The second floor of the Exchange is great, just not large enough to accomodate everyone. The spillover from Omar's makes for a different crowd there too.

Those were the ideas that I was bouncing around. A coffee shop had crossed the mind, but since the Stadium Project is going to have one, that would be redundant, but Paramount was a neighbor, so it might have been kinda cool.

I had not thought of a brew pub, but the Pere Marquette lofts, used to be the Blue Coyote, which was the spot for a Thursday night, but for whatever reason it closed. I still hear varying rumors as to why, but they are just that...rumors.

As for the naming of the project, I will probably encorporate my name somehow. I found out that Abrams was not the original tenant of the building, not until the 1960s, and later bought the newer section after another business folded.

The Blue Coyote was very nice, I think the official reason they closed was bankrupcy. They did great business at firs, but people kept on complaining about the food and service, they said it had the nicest atmosphere of any resturaunt in town, but the food and service obviously outweighed that. Gillespie origionally said that he wanted to attract a brew pub, but he obviously doesn't plan one anymore, I was sort of dissapointed, but It would be nice to see a brew pub in your building, it would fill niche market.

Mr. Fisher, do you think you may be able to utilize the roof of your building as garden/resident lounge area like some of the other lofts in the neighborhood? This seems to be popular not just here but on top of smaller loft buildings in such place as Chicago. The view of the skyline would be great, too, I'd figure. If not even as a lounge, you may want to consider making it "green," you know environmentally friendly.

I do plan on making the rooftop a terrace. I don't plan on sharing it with the other tenants, but give them balconies and terraces of their own. My house used to be on waterfront, and so I want to get the best of both worlds if I can. Amenities of the city, but up high enough to feel a little more of the seclusion that I used to have.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any updates on your project? I've also been wondering if you have an estimated start date, it seems like it would have to be somewhat soon since Stadium District is starting in March and you want to be done before that. And do you know how talll your going to build it yet or are you stil debating?

It's going to be tight to beat the Stadium Project, but I am still trying to keep it on track. If I can beat them to completion, it should help push occupancy up faster.

I have revised the plan a little. The first floor will still be commercial, but the second floor, which would not have had the greatest view, as it was just not high enough yet, will be parking. Third, fourth, and fifth floor will be the lofts. Six floor will be the penthouse. So far I think it looks like the ceiling will be 14 ft, adding in a barrel ceiling, should put the peak of the structure at 70 feet.

The floor plans are being reworked to incorporate more premium features, like steam/spa showers, and some other 'good design layout' things like functional laundry spaces. I may lose some of the two story units, but trading the parking for two story units, would allow me to condo the building at some point.

Hey Matt,

How many retail spaces will your building hold? Will it be just one? I ask, because Linn and Owners Jewelers are looking to move from the current home (which will be demolished for an expanded Accident Funds Company in a few yearas), but are committed to staying downtown (read the LSJ business weekly this week, great little story, there).

I was thinking that maybe you could court them if you have more than one space. I know a jewelry store probably didn't come to mind as your first choice for retail, but they are a great, historic business with a following.

Just an idea.

I intend to configure the first floor into two spaces, similiar to the current configuration. I am pretty sure that I will occupy the smaller space (the south part of the building), but will need to find a tenant that wants about 4500 square feet.

That may be a little large for Lynn and Owen.

Once I have closed on the building, gotten plan approvals, and broken ground, I will start soliciting tenants.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse, and make promises to anyone that have to be changed. Especially potential tenants.

Lynn & Owens current building is 5820 sq. ft. but thats on two floors, their actual retail space is 2910 sq. ft. or less. I don't really think they would want to move on Larch though, and I would rather see a microbrewery or club in that space anyways.

Just an update (since no one checks the sticked development update, anymore). It looks like the building at 1214 Turner, as Matt eluded to, is getting its second floor. I drove by today and was surprised to see them constructing the top of the building. It totally took me off guard because I thought it was just speculation.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered not extending the second floor parking to the front of the building? Maybe stop it 10-20 ft back and allow for a higher first floor celing towards the front of the building. I'm thinking of this for the purpose of a microbrewery moving in, for anything else it would just be a nice touch.

I'll try my best to capture the progress. There's a big, yellow crane hovering right over downtown Royal Oak when I was there two weeks ago. I'll see if I can head out there again this weekend and see what's going on. The other big N. Main project should see facade going on pretty soon as it has been topped out for a while now.

Hello,

Great idea for a brew pub at the Abrams location. This sounds like a very exciting project. Maybe you could talk to a established brew pub like Michigan Brewing Company to come to Lansing. Or maybe find an upstart or smaller company that wants to grow. I also believe that Michigan State University has a partnership with Michigan Brewing Company and sends students out there for college credit. Some cooperative with the university may be possible as well. I was at the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Brewfest on Saturday and can tell you that a brew pub would be a hit. Lansing does not have a brew pub and people would love one. The Blue Coyote was nice. It is too bad it is gone. I am a young professional who works downtown and lives in Lansing. I am so excited about all things going on in Lansing. Looking forward to future conversations. Is the Stadium District really starting in March? Who is the architect?

I'm not much of a drinker, but there was a huge brewpub festival held yesterday in Old Town, and when I drove by Turner Street was packed. Apparently, Old Town leaders are hoping that some of the different beer brewers that they brought down to this first annual festival will look to expand in Lansing, so you beer drinkers may see something really come of this. The brewers came from all around the state, and I heard quite a few were impressed with the atmoshphere in Old Town.

• 4 weeks later...

The final approval for rezoning is up on this property monday, it looks like it will be one of three interesting things, there is also approval of the Bioport stuff and another agreement regarding the Triangle Property. Also it ought to be fun to listen to everyone complain about the Mayor's proposal to close the golf courses.

Archived