What Lots would you like to see developed in Nashville

smeagolsfree

Of all the lots in downtown Nashville I would like to see developed, it would be the sacred car lots at Broadway and I-40. There are 4 auto dealers here and this is the worst use for the land I could think of other than a parking lot. You have Hippodrome Nissan and Hippodrome whatever on the east end and on the west end there is Beaman and Jim Reed. Seems to me they need to go to all the undeveloped land in Franklin so that area can be developed. Most cities the size of Nashville do not have car dealers in the downtown area. The size of these lots are huge and could open the door to some very large buildings and connect the CBD with West End.

What do you all think?

and

What other lots could be developed Downtown?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the lots in downtown Nashville I would like to see developed, it would be the sacred car lots at Broadway and I-40. There are 4 auto dealers here and this is the worst use for the land I could think of other than a parking lot. You have Hippodrome Nissan and Hippodrome whatever on the east end and on the west end there is Beaman and Jim Reed. Seems to me they need to go to all the undeveloped land in Franklin so that area can be developed. Most cities the size of Nashville do not have car dealers in the downtown area. The size of these lots are huge and could open the door to some very large buildings and connect the CBD with West End.

What do you all think?

and

What other lots could be developed Downtown?

That and the Titans parking lot.

A garage on monorail to downtown could be built and the land could be used for infill development

smeagolsfree,

Yes, those car dealership lots are crying for redevelopment. There are also various lots just north of the central business district and near the Bicentennial Mall that need reinventing. In the heart of downtown, Tony's lot at Fifth and Church (Signature) is prime. And, as the doormanpoet and I have discussed, the Church Street lot between the street itself and the current/temporary Metro City Hall (the former library) building. There are many others.

WW

I'll piggyback on doorman's lots:

In order of my personal priorities.

Parking lot across from Hooters on Second.

Lots at Third and Chuch

Lot behind Seanachie

The entire area around Parkway Towers--right after they reburb the ugly old thing with new skin.

The old library lot.

The empty lot between St. Cloud Corner and Subway (across from Cumberland)

IMO, the car lots along Broadway just don't bother me. I like looking at the cars. The land is worth zillions of dollars and the owners know that. Their time will come.

With William, I'd like to see huge emphasis on the land just north of downtown.

There are many. Sure wish I owned some of them.

IMO, the car lots along Broadway just don't bother me. I like looking at the cars. The land is worth zillions of dollars and the owners know that. Their time will come.

I agree. I kind of like the car lots. They make Nashville different, and there is and will be plenty of urban infill all around those car lots to make them a quaint reminder of the past. I guess I simply like the fact that Nashville has retained car dealers downtown, since as someone said earlier, you don't see that very often anymore.

smeagolsfree,

Yes, those car dealership lots are crying for redevelopment. There are also various lots just north of the central business district and near the Bicentennial Mall that need reinventing. In the heart of downtown, Tony's lot at Fifth and Church (Signature) is prime. And, as the doormanpoet and I have discussed, the Church Street lot between the street itself and the current/temporary Metro City Hall (the former library) building. There are many others.

WW

The Architecture club I'm in is designing some development down near the bicenntenial mall. I'm pretty sure its just a scenario but it is kinda promising that they are interested in developing it.

Let us see your project when it's all done,Ace, all graded and ready to show. Love to see it.

One thing readers not from here (and not familiar with them) should know is that these lots have been in place for decades. These aren't your usual run-of-the-mill lots operated by shady characters like the ones you see on other arteries, nor are they lots like the mammoth ones you see in more suburban locations. The owners of these lots are very wealthy members of Nashville society and in such, are philanthropic beyond ways many of us might not realize. Millions are given to charities. One land gift made possible to the city of Nashville by Sally Beaman in honor of her husband provided the city with a new 1,500-acre park in beautiful, rugged northwest Davidson County. It's spectacular and will always be there for us to enjoy. The son, Lee Beaman and his family continue to provide for the city's needs. The Reeds are no different. These gifts from these families cross all boundaries of need and group. So, in a way, these lots, although not owned by the city or any public, are true investments in the quality of life Nashville enjoys. Sometimes you just have to look beyond the chrome to see the gold.

http://www.nashville.gov/parks/beaman.htm

Let us see your project when it's all done,Ace, all graded and ready to show. Love to see it.

One thing readers not from here (and not familiar with them) should know is that these lots have been in place for decades. These aren't your usual run-of-the-mill lots operated by shady characters like the ones you see on other arteries, nor are they lots like the mammoth ones you see in more suburban locations. The owners of these lots are very wealthy members of Nashville society and in such, are philanthropic beyond ways many of us might not realize. Millions are given to charities. One land gift made possible to the city of Nashville by Sally Beaman in honor of her husband provided the city with a new 1,500-acre park in beautiful, rugged northwest Davidson County. It's spectacular and will always be there for us to enjoy. The son, Lee Beaman and his family continue to provide for the city's needs. The Reeds are no different. These gifts from these families cross all boundaries of need and group. So, in a way, these lots, although not owned by the city or any public, are true investments in the quality of life Nashville enjoys. Sometimes you just have to look beyond the chrome to see the gold.

http://www.nashville.gov/parks/beaman.htm

i've heard that jim reed has been instrumental in developing the area behind his lot for clubs on church street. not sure if that's true or not though. just wondering if anybody else had heard that also.

I dont mind the car lots, I think its kind of original. BTW I used to work for Hippodrome Nissan and I must say it was a pretty nice orginization to work for.

A few lots I would like to see someone take advantage of are the ones on charlotte. around 28th. I know they are not in the CBD so the realestate in that area isint as prime but those lots are huge and are good saturdays walk from the gulch and the CBD.

I like the car dealers d'town, though they can and should make them more urbanized by enclosing the lots. I remember walking in London near Hyde Park and seeing the numerous car dealerships with cars in teh windows just like a retail store...very cool.

The Central lot across from Hooters

Is this the property at the corner of 2nd and Church? If so, then I couldn't agree more. It would be nice to see a smallish boutique hotel (5-7 floors) there with penthouse suites providing vistas of the River. Seems like it would have to offer enough underground parking to replace the much-needed parking there now.

Does anyone know the history of this property?

That would be a great location for a midrise building with a Times-square look. A building to fit the shape of the lot.

I think thats a neat idea. Have a nice midrise with a big screen facing the split so eveyone could see it when they are leaving town in the afternoons. Wouldnt that be nice sitting across from the West End Summit.

The lot at the split of Broadway and West End. Something Flashy needs to go there.

I think I remember something a while back about something like the Flatiron buiding going on that spot -- but I really like the idea of a local TV station, though..

jdavid, sure hope you can make the next forum, Onyte too.

I love the lot at Second and Church. So much potential. I remember the building that used to stand there. It was a very impressive Victorian warehouse with an entrance on the diagonal at the intersection with beautiful windows. I was only in the building once and that was when the building was used for something called Goodies Warehouse, a store just full of architectural antiques and more general things...sometimes posing as treasure, but more like interesting junk. Nonetheless, it was one of the first re-uses of the buildings on that street that I remember. It must have been in the mid- to late 70s.

Unfortunately, the building became occupied by the homeless and an fire consumed the building and it's been a vacant lot for years. I do remember a rendering of a high rise in the 22-story range that raised a stink because of its height. Although the design was all brick and "interesting" it was deemed quite out of scale.

Your idea about the boutique hotel is certainly on the right track. I couldn't think of a better use for that spot. You could sit right at the window with the old Hooter binoculars and be good to go. Seriously, though, I think a mid-rise hotel would be perfect.

^^ Interesting info, Dave. Thanks.

I can only imagine what that whole street must have looked like with all the Victorian facades. Too bad.

I remember something about that proposal. It must have been in the late 80's. If Gaylord ever wants to branch out into the small hotel sprite Southern front porch segment, this would be a great place to start. I guess they have their hands full over on Briley Pkwy.

Anyone heard any rumors about the convention center expansion? That could use up a huge chunk of property between Gateway and Demonbreun. Doesn't Metro already own much of that property?

The huge lots on James Robertson Pkwy between 8th Ave N. and Charlotte Pk. I don't understand how this land can go undeveloped for 30+ years. Other than the fact that it's cheap parking for the state's employees. You should see them struggling up that hill every morning after they park.

The parking lots on 8th Ave N. owned by Christ Cathedral. Can't believe they torn down that historic building last year.

Small parking lot at 2nd Ave and Broadway. Even a small-ish building would have a big impact as the corner's anchor.

The adjacent lots at 3rd and Church.

The scores of empty lots in the dumpy neighborhood bound by Charlotte(N), Church (S), I-40(E) and 17th Ave N(W). I wish I could have seen this area 50+ years ago, before its obvious decline.

All the lots surrounding Cummins Station. So much potential.

The lot across from the hole where SunTrust is going.

The scores of empty lots east of Bicentennial Mall. Slowly but surely, interest grows.

The large empty lot on Elliston Place where the high school used to be, beside Hampton Inn. Anyone know what the holdout is? Surely the city owns it.

The parking lot, hotel and vacant buildings on Demonbreun near the Roundabout.

The block that isn't West End Summit yet.

The Demonbreun site is in some sort of legal tangle with Shoney's Inn. Guess we'll hear something about that sometime. The plans, intitially, took the form of a $100 million mixed use, but that was some time ago. The land is extremely valuable. Hope it doesn't sit too long, though.

The Hampton owns the land next to its nice suites hotel on Elliston. Perhaps a future expansion, or some other plans.

Gee, so much land, so much to look foward to over the years.....

Archived