Royal Court

graydog

Construction will end around mid 07'. This project will go up fast and IMO will have the BEST skyline views of CLT. Dous Smith finally posted the article today. The area is right beside another tower that will be around 24-28 stories in height. If you add the Home Depot design project and condo tower this will be truly a dyamic corner of the city that is bounded only by 277.

Here is the run down:

13 story tower---Royal Court Condos

24-28 story 615 East Morehead

The Adams Mark Complex---with the investors adding more in condos (specifically towers)

Furman with his 2nd ward plan---An estimated 3 Billion dollar investment in retail and residential

Plus the Tower at the Home Depot design center where midtown square now stands. at around 16-20 stories.

If you ask me this is going to evolve into Charlotte's 2nd prominent skyline in the next few years.

Think about the drive around the loop after all of these projects are complete. Yeah baby !!!

A2

Here is the link in the Observer

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/12989516.htm

:shades:

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. The freeway itself is 2.5 blocks wide, but to walk to anything useful, you are taking about a distance that is further away than just walking to a transit station. This is why I have advocated removing part of I-277, though I think it should be on the North side in removing the Brookshire freeway, and then just directing all the traffic down the south side.

I don't know. The freeway itself is 2.5 blocks wide, but to walk to anything useful, you are taking about a distance that is further away than just walking to a transit station. This is why I have advocated removing part of I-277, though I think it should be on the North side in removing the Brookshire freeway, and then just directing all the traffic down the south side.

Maybe the city could dust off those plans for the 277 cap they once wanted. That would create more green space and be an awesome park that people from Dillworth, South End and Uptown could enjoy.

Plus it sure beats the hell out of looking at a freeway. :shok:

A2

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/12989516.htm

it really is a beautiful angle of the skyline.

I'm sure sales will go well.

this line from the DCDA president "The site is within Dilworth's boundaries, he said, but it's not close enough to the residential heart of the neighborhood to affect current residents much." makes me hopeful that dcda will be okay with 615 e morehead, too. (although the same logic should have made them okay with lowes and the arlington).

tell me more about this, i'm curious

http://www.charlotte2010.com/vision.htm

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9431

the cap park won't happen. Even the city has abandonned the idea. The goals of improving pedestrian connectivity between second ward and dilworth will now be achieved with pedestrian improvements for the south blvd/277 interchange and in the more distant future, a davidson-euclid connector bridge.

if a cap does materialize, the plan that evolved during the second ward master plan was to put it between church and college streets. It will certainly not happen east of south boulvard was was originally dreamed.

Pedestrian connectivity between the 2nd ward and dilworth is pitiful, though, so i hope something gets done, either a park, a pedestrian bridge or a regular bridge at davidson or alexander. Just the south boulevard interchange changes will help a lot, though.

I believe that it will stay like it is until the city decides it doesn't want I-277 anymore.

I remember it before they built the John Belk Freeway and there still wasn't any activity between Dilworth and 2nd ward. First, outside of I-277 there are still several large highways that cut this area up, namely the old Independence Blvd (now called Stonewall), and the removal of 1st street. The current grid is not pedestrian friendly at all. In addition, there are a large number of buildings in this area that are not going anywhere anytime soon, and they also hurt the landscape.

Unless there is a huge urban renewal project there again, I don't see the building of a pedestrian bridge doing much for the area.

Stonewall is to be turned into a tree-lined boulevard from JBF to the Convention Center. Part of the Second Ward Plan.

Last I heard, the capping of the freeway is most likely to happen between Tryon and College. There are no ramps between the two to deal with. The idea is that it would become a large green space for the Mint's collection of scultpure that they can't currently display (due to Eastover neighborhood covenants). Estimated cost of capping that section was $65 million.

The thing that I have always found interesting about the 2010 plan, is it calls for downtown to be even more linear, just looks like a taller independence blvd to me, we need to get off of tryon, and we are finally doing that with the vue which is a good 5 blocks off trade,

wish there was a hires picture of the 2010 plan tho because I really wish I had a better view of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw thier ad in Creative Loafing. I think this will stick out about the same as Summit Grandview, or Camden Grandview or whatever it's called now.

they are now putting up the tower crane. (at least I think) I saw it going home the other day. Man there are a lot of cranes downtown ! :)

A2

This in NOT for RC. Atlrvr cleared that up on another thread. It is just in proximity to where RC will be. My bad....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow.... a single condo for $350,000. That's $280,000 to finance if you borrow 80% and had $70,000 lying around for the downpayment.

At 6% interest, the payments on a 30 year mortgage would be $1678. And there's HOA fees of around $300 on top of that. Plus property taxes, too. :) Throw some maintenance and insurance on there to boot, and we're talking at least $2200 a month as payments.

The views are cool, but I'm definately priced out of that market!

Archived