21 Dayton, OH

22 North Charleston, SC

23 Little Rock, AR

24 Oakland, CA

25 Cincinnati, OH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes, horrible horrible tragedy. This certainly wasn't your typical violent act that makes up the rankings with the fact that it was a mass rampage murder spree.

As for the rankings, what is interesting is that a lot of Southern states rank really low (which is good in the ranking) for the most HATE CRIMES per 100,000 residents in the U.S. In fact, Mississippi and Alabama rank #49 and #50 for the most hate crimes per 100,000 residents while New Jersey ranks #1 for having the most. I was totally shocked when I saw the ranking and wish I could find it. Most Southern states ranked really well in the bottom 25 in the ranking. Just goes to show that racism and bigotry isn't anymore severe in the South than it is anywhere else in the country. On the other hand, violent crime in the inner city in the South seems to be really bad compared to other parts of the country. Very strange indeed.

At this stage of the game, it's not even just about race or ethnicity. Aside from visual factors, there are a whole slew of other boundaries separating the various social strata, and those factors piggyback onto racial friction. Poor African-Amerians have a harder time integrating into the middle class because they speak in a different register, possess cultural biases against traditionally-white establishments, have much greater issues with substance abuse and family disintegration... the list goes on and on.

It's going to be a LONG time before the United States, and the South in particular, solves these problems. Unfortunately, a very large portion of the African-American community is afflicted with a sort of social plague which is ripping their communities apart from the inside. I have no solutions whatsoever for this, but I can say for certain that it's one of the biggest problems facing our region in the long run.

It has nothing to do with warmer weather, and only a mild correlation to do with income. It has to do with the racial demographics of the most dangerous cities. According to FBI statistics, blacks are overwhelmingly more likely to commit a crime than a white, as noted in the report, "Color of Crime". Therefore, it is a no brainer why cities like Detroit, Gary, St. Louis, and Atlanta are at the top of the list: they have high black percentages.

Some of you act like you can't figure it out. I wonder, what could it be :dunno:

It has nothing to do with warmer weather, and only a mild correlation to do with income. It has to do with the racial demographics of the most dangerous cities. According to FBI statistics, blacks are overwhelmingly more likely to commit a crime than a white, as noted in the report, "Color of Crime". Therefore, it is a no brainer why cities like Detroit, Gary, St. Louis, and Atlanta are at the top of the list: they have high black percentages.

Some of you act like you can't figure it out. I wonder, what could it be :dunno:

Unfortunately, I don't find this research at all surprising. Being from the Chuck-Charleston- I can tell you that crime here is awful and shows no signs of improving. Cyclical poverty in my opinion is at the root of the problem. I have no genuine interest in debating how much race figures into this problem..because we all know it does, and there is no correct answer as to the degree it does. In fact, I'm still recovering from a friendly debate with a co-worker about Charleston's class issue last week, lol. At any rate, I can also attest to the fact that we are not in alone here in South Carolina. As my travels frequently take me between Chas and Tampa, FL..the crime and wealth disparity in Florida is disheartening too. I do believe that race has a great deal to do with the problems in these two states..but I find the lack of motivation from some of the citizens and class immobility to be the biggest barrier. I don't find there is much of a middle-class in Charleston, much less a viable African American Middle Class and the same is true in Florida. For instance in Charleston, you're either living on Daniel Island driving a Landrover with 2.5 kids headed to "Town Centre" without a care in the world, or you're living North Charleston driving a rusted Ford Explorer frustrated with no AC and 4 kids in the backseat on Rivers Avenue. Those of us in between, well...we're just that. Sort of looked at funny from both groups: "Who is this guy?" If we're being honest with ourselves, we can all deduce this: The overwhelming majority of those that live comfortably-- try to sustain their lifestlyle and familes without much care and consideration for those less fortunate, and this is a personal choice, we live in America and that's fine. However, the unfortunate consequence of literally turning the other cheek or turning your nose in the air to those people or problems in the very nearby communities are: Expect those that don't have those luxuries or never "made it out"-so to speak- to want to steal or kill for those luxuries out of sheer ignorance, frustration, and/or hatred. I am not rationalizing, I'm just saying look from the other perspective. Having grown up Dowtown Charleston, I understand this mentality all too well, and know far too many childhood friends and other young people behind bars at this very moment because of poor personal choices yes, but also a f**** up social environment as well that exists. Luckily, I had strong parents to reinforce that one's environment does not shape them. Along with this training, I was taught I am NOT better than anyone with $2 in my pocket or $2 million in my pocket, and at the same time, NOBODY is better than me;white, black, blue, green or purple. So many people commit these crimes b/c it is what society expects of them being poor and/or a minority, and if you don't know any better and don't have anyone else to show you another way...why not? As a result, I have a love hate relationship with my hometown and state.

To the contrary, having lived in Greensboro, NC area for nearly 8 years..there was an overall great racial balance in the city and income levels. As a result, the crime rates are lower, the racial tension although still present being the South is much less suffocating, and the overall quality of life is better in my opinion, just less scenic than say Charleston or Tampa. The research confirms this as well...

To the contrary, having lived the Greensboro-Winston Salem area for nearly 8 years..there is an overall great racial balance in the city and income levels. As a result, the crime rates are lower, the racial tension although still present being the South is much less suffocating, and the overall quality of life is better in my opinion, just less scenic than say Charleston or Tampa. The research confirms this as well...

Racial balance in Greensboro and Winston-Salem?!? Until recently, if you were anything but white in Winston-Salem, you were mostly segregated to the east side of US 52. There also was and still is very little of any type of development there for gainful employment. Greensboro suffers from similar self segregation as well. Are you also aware of the Darryl Hunt case, where an innocent African-American male was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit? Let's also not forget the hangover that still exists in Greensboro from the KKK violence in the late 70's.

Income levels between Caucasians and minority groups in the Triad area are just as large as the national average and minority groups face higher levels of unemployment and other racial injustices. Things are getting better, slowly, but there is still much racial mistrust here. I wouldn't say there is anything close to a racial balance in the area, outside of the newly constructed areas.

• 1 year later...

Archived