The Rotunda Building conversion

juancapitalcitydc

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they've begun gutting the inside of the building on the above ground floors as well, some of the windows have been knocked out, and you can see wires, dust, etc through the small slats. I'm excited about the exterior work, that'll show the most obvious signs of progress but they're at least finished with the ground floor. moving on up!

A: In many other markets, condos are being bought by speculators. People can extract the equity from primary residence, and buy condos zero down. They appreciate so fast, they can hold onto them a year or two to meet the "no flip" contractual obligation, then theoretically sell them and pocket $100K or more. I've seen quotes from people that managed to buy 10 to 15 of them without having much money to put into it, bouncing equity from one to a a few, then a few to more. Rent a few out for a bit of a loss, but the equity covers them for a while.

B: One thing about the Rotunda.... It could spawn a new market for non-square furniture. I looked at an apartment off of Granby that had the trapezoid shaped rooms and thought "In this room, I'd loose a ton of space because the room isn't square and furniture won't fit properly in the corners." Looking at the Rotunda, the rooms have round walls and what not.

Tel's whole purpose here is to antagonize the regular reader's of this forum. :angry: It's time we ignore his post and not reply. This will be the last time for me! -_-

No, I've never had the goal of antagonizing readers. I like to discuss what I see as a horrible crime with the credit lending institutions that is going to have a hugely bad effect on the housing industry in many markets. Nation of debt, and real estate is a huge huge portion of that.

I'm a lifetime resident of Hampton Roads (30 years), and do pay some attention to what is going on in the community.

No, I've never had the goal of antagonizing readers. I like to discuss what I see as a horrible crime with the credit lending institutions that is going to have a hugely bad effect on the housing industry in many markets. Nation of debt, and real estate is a huge huge portion of that.

I'm a lifetime resident of Hampton Roads (30 years), and do pay some attention to what is going on in the community.

It would be nice to have at least a few of your post be positive. Giveing those perspectives is needed. But bring something else to the table. If my perception of you is wrong, so be it. I'm not on an island here, others perceive the same thing.

I lived there for 33 years. Other than traffic, HR is in its best economic times. There are always factors you can point to in any economy that are not going well. You can pic apart HR all day long. But as a whole its doing pretty good. Sorry I like to look at the positives. Thats just me!

The 'non-square' furniture you talk about will probably be from EQ3, coming soon to MacArthur Center, specializing in loft living, high end contemporary and modern furniture ;)

Drove past the Rotuna today, the first exterior concrete slab is GONE!! Middle of the south side, facing City Hall Ave, at the top. Additionally, all the windows are gone on that entire side, approx 1/3 the building. Tried taking a picture, but the trees leaving MacArthur messed me up (couldnt see the holes). I'll take pics on my camera phone unless someone beats me to it...probably monday.

The 'non-square' furniture you talk about will probably be from EQ3, coming soon to MacArthur Center, specializing in loft living, high end contemporary and modern furniture ;)

Drove past the Rotuna today, the first exterior concrete slab is GONE!! Middle of the south side, facing City Hall Ave, at the top. Additionally, all the windows are gone on that entire side, approx 1/3 the building. Tried taking a picture, but the trees leaving MacArthur messed me up (couldnt see the holes). I'll take pics on my camera phone unless someone beats me to it...probably monday.

Dude try and take pics with a digital camera. I might try and take some tomorrow if I have the time

I really gotta get a digital camera, if nothin else than to keep you guys up to date on this project, i drive by it into the north deck garage at MacArthur every day. Today there was a guy in a cherry picker drilling holes into the concrete slabs on the facade, two or three holes in the center of each slab, and repeated this with about 20-30 slabs on the south side of the building. I think for either demo or removal, either way, the exterior work on this building is ramping up in a hurry.

Archived