What do you think of Georgia?

Newnan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread here about what people think of Arkansas, and since I'm from Georgia, I just wanted to know what people thought of my state. Be honest and type the first thing that comes to your mind.

You stole my thread. :P

Just kidding, but when I think of Georgia, I think of Atlanta, Delta, and that world class airport you have. Not to mention Stone Mountain and Coca-Cola.

I beg to differ, the rural areas can be a little bit rough around the edges, but most of it is beautiful countryside. Have you ever been to the North Georgia Mountiains, have you ever seen a georgia forest in the spring, have you ever seen a street lined with lajestic live oaks draped in Spanish moss. If you haven't then I strongly suggest you do. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean, but I just didn't get your statement.

The only thing I don't like about Georgia is the uneven distribution of its population. In most other states, the population, and therefore the resources and amenities, are evenly distributed. When Georgia scores high in rankings, it is really the Atlanta metro that scores high in the vast majority of cases. Southern Georgia and Northern Georgia (Atlanta metro) might as well be two different states.

I really like Atlanta, but having often visited relatives in Augusta growing up, I think it's a cool place as well.

I agree. IMO the rest of Georgia is pretty trashy except for Savannah.

Same with NC though too; the rural areas in the South are not too pretty.

What parts of NC have you been too make such a blanket statement. Might I suggest a trip Morehead City, New Bern, Elizabeth City before making the statement as these places are trash.....and to add to the list of "non-trashy" places in NC- Southport, Pinhurst... I could go on and on but my point is NC is much more than large metros that in them selves have not too pretty areas. Our coastline and inland areas are not only pleasing to the eyes they are the historical of hub of the state. As too why my hometown Fayetteville is not on my list well it has a lot of work to do...but there is nothing wrong with grit though. One day I will do a tour of the Fayettenam...

As for Georgia my late grandmother and grandfather lived in Bainbridge(very southwest corner of the state on the Flint river). I have fond memories of staying there some summers. Well not that fond because he would make us cut okra, feed cows and help him with his peanut farm. It was the most rural, country place I have ever been too but I never thought it was trashy because these people work there butts off and I admire that. Behind every southern success story (place the name of a large southern cities name here __________) there was hard work being done by people who live in these trashy places.

grandmashouse0qw.jpg

grandmas house Clinton, NC DEC 04'

When I think of Georgia, of course, I think of Atlanta, but upon giving it more thought, I think of Augusta and the Masters, I think of Savannah, beautiful plantations, and that wonderful resort SEA ISLAND!

As for the south's rural areas... BEAUTIFUL! Along highways and such you get the trailers and trashy landscape, but to actually experience the South's rural areas you must take back roads that are narrow and wind through the most unique places. And the typical southern small town is UNmatched.

I agree. IMO the rest of Georgia is pretty trashy except for Savannah.

Many areas in South GA and areas just above the fall line do fit that description, but the Georgia Coast, especially the barrier islands, and the north GA mountains are very nice.

And the typical southern small town is UNmatched.

Very much true, GvilleSC. I've been through many small towns in Georgia (several -5,000 people) and I must say that I love how many of them have preserved historic building facades and the buildings themselves that date to the late 19th-early 20th century.

Ywo of my favorite small towns are Warm Springs (which amazingly enough isn't some overly done tourist haven, but is rather well preserved) and Buchanan. St. Simon's Island Village is a great place, too. It may be touristy, but it at least shows some economic substance aside from tourism.

Since Georgia is AL's neighboring state, I've spent quite a bit of time there, both on business as well as vacationing.

I've been all over the state and there are some beautiful locations... Augusta and Savannah may be the most obvious, but Callaway Gardens and Stone Mountain can also take your breath away.

We took our son and spent four days in/around Atlanta this summer and it was an action-packed extended weekend, from seeing a Braves game at beautiful Turner Field to roller coasters at Six Flags, climbing Stone Mountain, seeing the pandas at Zoo Atlanta, and re-discovering the history of the Cyclorama. We ate buffalo at Ted's Montana Grill and saw the World of Coca-Cola.

While Atlanta garners most of the attention, Georgia is so much more than just that one metropolitan area.

What parts of NC have you been too make such a blanket statement. Might I suggest a trip Morehead City, New Bern, Elizabeth City before making the statement as these places are trash.....and to add to the list of "non-trashy" places in NC- Southport, Pinhurst... I could go on and on but my point is NC is much more than large metros that in them selves have not too pretty areas. Our coastline and inland areas are not only pleasing to the eyes they are the historical of hub of the state. As too why my hometown Fayetteville is not on my list well it has a lot of work to do...but there is nothing wrong with grit though. One day I will do a tour of the Fayettenam...

As for Georgia my late grandmother and grandfather lived in Bainbridge(very southwest corner of the state on the Flint river). I have fond memories of staying there some summers. Well not that fond because he would make us cut okra, feed cows and help him with his peanut farm. It was the most rural, country place I have ever been too but I never thought it was trashy because these people work there butts off and I admire that. Behind every southern success story (place the name of a large southern cities name here __________) there was hard work being done by people who live in these trashy places.

grandmashouse0qw.jpg

grandmas house Clinton, NC DEC 04'

I didn't say they are 'trash' but rather 'trashy', there is a difference.

The places I have been to in Georgia that are trashy are along the 95, same with with NC. I'm talking about the areas that make NC #2 in the number of trailers in the US, the rural areas and IMHO Augusta is a dumpy town...

Much of it may have to do with coming down from the midwest. A small town there is much different and there is all that talk of the KKK still ruling these small southern towns, but that is probably just talk.

As for the beautiful countryside I guess I have some exploring to do in regards to these Southern towns. :) Recommendations?

There is a thread here about what people think of Arkansas, and since I'm from Georgia, I just wanted to know what people thought of my state. Be honest and type the first thing that comes to your mind.

Peaches and Atlanta

:P

A2

I think the coast of Georgia has to be the prettiest coastline anywhere on the east coast outside of Florida. The little towns scattered about the coast (with the exception of Savannah and places like St. Simons and Jekyll Island) need a little help. But still the natural beauty of the place can make a ramshackle shotgun house look alright. The Peidmont is probably the plainest geographically, and it does nothing for me. The towns along the Piedmont and Fall line (Macon, Columbus and Augusta) are all plain cities, nothing spectacular, but I have seen MUCH worse. Augusta is becoming a smaller Atlanta with its sprawl....someting IT needs to work on. Atlanta is Atlanta, like said before. North Georgia is retirees, latinos and bumpkins, with pretty mountainous scenery.

The places I have been to in Georgia that are trashy are along the 95, same with with NC. I'm talking about the areas that make NC #2 in the number of trailers in the US, the rural areas and IMHO Augusta is a dumpy town...

Much of it may have to do with coming down from the midwest. A small town there is much different and there is all that talk of the KKK still ruling these small southern towns, but that is probably just talk.

As for the beautiful countryside I guess I have some exploring to do in regards to these Southern towns. :) Recommendations?

Moonshield, you need to get out of the Charlotte area some more. You oughtta check out Mars Hill and Asheville in the mountains if you haven't been. Plus, check out small coastal towns like Bath, Corolla, etc. It is funny that you mention the KKK, wich along with other hate groups, are not even based in the south nowadays. The hate groups are based in the west and mid-west. I find it VERY annoying that people from outside of the south still think we are a bunch of racists when these stupid hate groups are probably based in THEIR region!!

-----------------------------------------------------------getting back on topic----------------------------------

I think of Spanish moss and deep south culture and Atlanta when I think of Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...

I've driven through rural Georgia.. and I have to say I quite liked it (a lot).

I drove across from Montgomery AL into Savannah GA.. the Georgia section was so laid-back and just plain nice.

Atlanta is also intriguing in itself although I've never been there outside a brief transfer at the major airport.. felt a lot of hustle to it though as well as 'business corporate feel' which I didn't expect but appreciated mixed in with that southern feel. Good impressions overall.

• 3 weeks later...

When I think of Georgia, of course, I think of Atlanta, but upon giving it more thought, I think of Augusta and the Masters, I think of Savannah, beautiful plantations, and that wonderful resort SEA ISLAND!

As for the south's rural areas... BEAUTIFUL! Along highways and such you get the trailers and trashy landscape, but to actually experience the South's rural areas you must take back roads that are narrow and wind through the most unique places. And the typical southern small town is UNmatched.

Exactly. Get off of the interstates and major 4 lane highways now and again. Georgia has alot of great towns and countryside to see.

This is exactly my point. You have based your opinion on what you see along 95. I think Arizona is #2 with mobile homes though. Having spent a great deal of my youth in South GA, and traveling between SC and GA on the back roads, I can tell you that there are some very beautiful places in GA. There is a hige difference between North GA (more mountainous), Middle GA (more peidmont), South GA (sandhills) and the Coast. There is a lot of variety there.

Of these regions I'd say South GA is probably the least attractive (unless you love loblolly pine trees), but it does have some gems. There are lots of farms and cropland that alter the scenery. Some of the more interesting landscapes are where the pecan farms are. There are massive roas of very old, and sometimes abandoned pecan farms, with olf farm houses and such. There are quite a few around Albany. Places around the Flint River are often very attractive with Spanish moss and old oaks. The key thing about South GA is that you have to explore to find the good stuff. Some interesting towns to check out include Leesburg (outside of Albany), Americus, Cordele, Waycross, Tifton, Fitzgerald, Sylvester, maybe Douglas, and I hear that Vienna (pronounced: Vye-anna) is nice, though I've not been myself. The area around Waycross is interesting becuase you are getting into the coastal area and there are a lot of swamps (Okefenokee NWR). As for the larger towns- Albany is ok. They are trying to revitalize downtown, but they have a corrupted government so who knows how that will turn out. Valdosta is a neat town. Its very lop-sided though. All of its growth is basicly north of downtown.

Middle GA has some nice towns too. Madison is a bit touristy, but its a beatuful and well preserved old south town. Shady Dale is worth driving through (its just a cross road) on the way to Monticello (pronounced: Montisello). Dublin has a neat downtown. I personally like Wren, but there isn't much to it. It has a nice new Subway downtown though. Kinda cool. I've always wanted to go to Milledgeville to see the old capital and just see what is there.

As for North GA, I am much less familiar with that. Dahlonega is a pretty interesting place from what I understand.

The Coast is probably the most well known, so I won't get into that here.

Just remember that there is a lot more to GA than Atlanta and Savannah. There are many more small towns than I care to name that woudl be worth going to. Just remember that the key to seeing the attractive side of Georgia is to get out and explore.

...When I think of Georgia, I think about all of that^ first. Atlanta comes later. I think I'm definately in the minority though.

Well said Spartan!

Driving along the interstate ANYWHERE does not justify on what areas to judge upon. I take offense to what you said about North Carolina because you talk smack about the rural south without any reasoning. I can assure you that if you drive into Moore County to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area, we're a non-trashy community thats an hours drive away from the nearest city in the middle of the pine thicket/sandhills region (2 hours from Charlotte).

Check out the Moore County link below and check out the photos of the area if you happen to be a myspace member. If not, ill upload a few pics up here (by request).

Archived