Can Nashville Compete

AceMentor

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte is undergoing its own growth stages just like Nashville. I think the cities parallel themselves more than any others in the country.

Your comment made me think. Does Charlotte parallel Nashville more than any other city in America? Hmmm.... Maybe. Another candidate I would like to offer as the city that most closely parallels Nashville is Austin, TX. Anyone agree?

Your comment made me think. Does Charlotte parallel Nashville more than any other city in America? Hmmm.... Maybe. Another candidate I would like to offer as the city that most closely parallels Nashville is Austin, TX. Anyone agree?

I agree Nashville has a sun-belt boomtown atmosphere like Austin and also a cultural similarity with Country/Americana Music and two great live music scenes.

Charlotte just has the growth. Nashville has always marketed its culture and it has made it a national and international tourist destination. Charlotte is hardly a regional tourist destination and no one really can see a part of the American Culture as having originated and remained in Charlotte.

Unless Nashville has a major bank or financial concern move here, we will NOT see a major office tower in the future. I predict some 15 to 20 story towers downtown, but Maryland Farms, Cool Springs, Metro Center, and the Airport area will have to finish their respective build outs before the downtown core becomes bustling with business again. The L&C Tower will be residential in about 5 years, so that will be 230,000 square feet of office space going residential. Once the State of Tennessee finishes moving operations to Metro Center, buildings like the Snodgrass and The James K Polk Tower known as the TPAC tower will also be vacant and ready for new office tennants. Citizens Plaza the 15 story building on Charlotte will also be vacant once the State moves out of it. Once the State of Tennessee vacates downtown, there is going to be almost 500,000 square feet of available office space. I have heard this from various State employee's, so I don't know the exact number of square footage available.

I have not heard about all those offices moving, so thats all news to me. I would be suprised to see the Polk building vacated, Snodgrass on the other hand....

I knew some offices where being relocated, but I was unware of any of the modern towers built specifically for the state being abandoned for locations outside the CBD.

I didnt think the state had the money to build a lot of new office buildings. I do know the symphony wanted out of the T-PAC building in order to give T-PAC more room and they want to move the museum out of there as well. The State Archives and Library off of 7th. are suppose to move down around the Bi-centennial mall area. According to all I have heard those projects have not been funded

I know TennCare is moving into their new building, but other than that, I can't see a mass exodus to MetroCenter as being very practical. The synergy that's necessary among various state departments just makes downtown the practical place to be. You have the Tennessee Tower, Andrew Jackson, Citizens, Davey Crockett and its brother building, Cordell Hull, Supreme Court, Archives, Legislative Plaza which was just re-done. I don't think the governor would see the reasoning behind such a move into an area with no amenities for its daytime workforce except parking lots and the Krystal and Arby's...and to those you'd have to drive.

Tennessee Tower was just renovated inside and the new entrance has been a big project for it workers. If I were a state employee and something like that was proposed, I'd kick.

^ Thats one of the reasons I can't see the state leaving towers they own like Andrew Jackson, Polk, etc. I don't know if it would be sound politics to lease or build the office space to replace them in the tight financial situation the state has been in, and only looks to remain in. Now some offices I know are leaving because they need more modern facilities and/or have out grown the space they have, which has forced the state to look for new space for them.

I remember seeing not to long ago a rendering where I think the State Museum was going to go on some land up at the NE corner of Bi-Cen Park. I don't remember if the State Archives where going over in that area too or not, but I assume it is going to need more space too and is probably outgrowing the building it has now. I would likee to see the current archive building remain is use in some fashion though, I think its a nice structure.

I had done a lot of research at the Archives and Library and they said that was in the plan as well but as long as the State was short on money it would not happen. They are in bad need of space. It just be the Library though.

Tenn -Care had to move because of the Federal Court house. RIght?

Just so you guys can be on be on the look out, the developer of a recently announced 33 story tower in Jax and a 3 tower/movie cinema project in Orlando mentioned in a recently released article that he is also negotiating for property in downtown Nashville.

Frank Billingsley, executive director of the Orlando Downtown Development Board and Community Redevelopment Agency, said that's because Kuhn's aggressive urban core business strategy is on target for jump-starting a city. Kuhn is in the midst of property negotiations in Tampa; Nashville, Tenn.; Atlanta; and Charlotte, N.C.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso...ry3.html?page=1

Just so you guys can be on be on the look out, the developer of a recently announced 33 story tower in Jax and a 3 tower/movie cinema project in Orlando mentioned in a recently released article that he is also negotiating for property in downtown Nashville.

This guy sounds like the energizer bunny, all right. Nashville could always use another mover, shaker type in the downtown real estate arena. Thanks Lakelander for the scoop!

Hey Lakelander thanks for posting that. I was reading about that new tower in jacksonville on skyscraperpage a few minutes ago. That is a nice looking building I must say!

Kuhn Development is the guys company.

The guy is definately the man to watch out for. In two weeks, he's purchased the 23 story Suntrust Tower, has sold most of it as office condos, announced plans for a 33 story hotel/condo tower, and purchased an 18 story historic tower, which he plans to start converting it into live/work lofts in two weeks. He also has 5 to 6 other buildings under contract, all within walking distance of each other. When he see's an opportunity he moves pretty swiftly. Can't wait to see what he has planned for your area.

I love Nashville's creative vibe. I love the eclectic look of the many people who live here. My observation is that people from the Carolinas seem a bit more wholesome and wear more golf shirts than we do. We wear lots of black and pierce body parts, and drive expensive Harleys. Hip and trendy...without the ferns.

You choose. lol ;)

Hope my Carolina friends read this the right way.

I just moved here to Charlotte from NY. It was between Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Nashville for me as a relo destination. Jacksonville & Charlotte seemed more on par as far as jobs go (specifically tech jobs). I didn't want to deal with hurricanes so I chose Charlotte. since I've been here I've met more northeasterners than southerners for one thing. When I was in Nashville all I saw were cowboy hats and boots. I don't know where all those piercings and black clothes wearing people were lol

I just moved here to Charlotte from NY. It was between Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Nashville for me as a relo destination. Jacksonville & Charlotte seemed more on par as far as jobs go (specifically tech jobs). I didn't want to deal with hurricanes so I chose Charlotte. since I've been here I've met more northeasterners than southerners for one thing. When I was in Nashville all I saw were cowboy hats and boots. I don't know where all those piercings and black clothes wearing people were lol

ilektronik -

I believe I've told you 10,000 times: Stop exaggerating ! :angry:

ilektronik -

I believe I've told you 10,000 times: Stop exaggerating ! :angry:

what am I exaggerating about? I was in Nashville for a day and saw more cowboy boots than i've seen in my whole life.

as for people in charlotte goes, i work at Wachovia and all I know of Charlotte are the people in my neighborhood and the people I work with. My entire dept consists of NY'ers (mostly upstate NY). The four neighbors immediately surrounding me are from Boston, Long Island, Buffalo, and Philly. I can very honestly say that I've met more northerners down here than north carolinians.

I believe now we are competing very well. There are some 50 projects ongoing or planned in the CBD, West End, Gulch, Germantown, East NAshville area and there will be a lot more coming I would guess.

With people like Cameron Khun looking at Nashville along with Novare and Struever Bros. there will be a lot of synergy for future development.

Nashville has a lot of unmet potential.

I honestly don't know what a highschool has to do with this. Stick to the topic folks or either Rural King or I will call out Mr. Suspension. I don't want any city bashing in this thread or anywhere else on this forum. Unfortunately I've already seen some of from both Charlotte & Nashville folk.

Archived