Can Nashville Compete

AceMentor

Enlighten us, please. The comparisons seem to crop up often here and there.

Some differences:

Austin is 1/3 hispanic, and definitely has a Texas "feel" to it. Go a few miles west of town, and it actually looks like the West with cactus, ranches, and so on. Nashville's more of an old Eastern city and more rooted in the South.

It's always been known as a counterculture center with leftwing politics that go beyond the sort of democrat/liberalism you might find in Nashville.

I'd say Austin more resembles a larger Madison WI than it does Nashville.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is why it is looked upon the way it is by the media and print. It is a city, that for all purposes, could really do no wrong. Madison is looked at the same way because of its Liberalism and openess (which isn't a bad thing!).

Some differences:

Austin is 1/3 hispanic, and definitely has a Texas "feel" to it. Go a few miles west of town, and it actually looks like the West with cactus, ranches, and so on. Nashville's more of an old Eastern city and more rooted in the South.

It's always been known as a counterculture center with leftwing politics that go beyond the sort of democrat/liberalism you might find in Nashville.

Sleepy, let's not go too far in describing Austin as being that liberal.

From when I lived in Austin, a young boy was involved in car accident and because he was scared tried to drive away. The other party took the rifle out of their truck rack and blew him away.

There was a crazy driving around the county shooting at motorcyclists.

Whenever I rode my bicycle, I had to duck the beer cans and bottles thrown at me from cars.

A number of hispanic men with their hands tied behind their backs were shot and killed execution style.

One person was shot and killed because they stopped at a stop sign in front of someone who was in a hurry.

Austin has more than it's share of crazies. Don't forget that this is also the place that had the crazy shooting people from the tower on the Texas campus. I'm not saying that it doesn't have a Hippy Heritage or that it doesn't have its Liberal Side. As you can see from my note, it definitely has a Texas "feel" to it. I have lived in inner-cities in major cities where it is supposed to be dangerous, but I never was as affraid for my life as when I lived in Austin. Don't get me wrong. There are many nice things about Austin and with the exception of having beer bottles thrown from cars, all of the others were major exceptions and they could have happened in other places as well.

As far as resembling Madison WI, aside from the size of the schools I don't see it. Again, we all view things differently and from what we experienced. By the way I have gone back to Austin and still do. I have friends there and if you stay aways from the few real crazies, it's a great place to visit.

I said Austin was "known for those things". While the reality may well be different, I think running for elective office at least in the city of Austin would require a candidate to take more leftwing positions than in Nashville. And Austin has been the center for that sort of politics for a long time. A somewhat nationally renowned leftist newspaper comes out of there--The Texas Observer--since 1954.

I really don't disagree with what you said. Almost anyplace is 90% like any other place, just that the small differences are what we observe. For the most part though, the times I've been in Austin I've never really felt like I could be in Nashville. While in Nashville though, I've felt like I could be in Birmingham, Louisville, or Memphis.

Of course, crazy things happen in all cities. Gays get beat up in San Francisco. Muslims get beat up in Portland. Blacks get beat up in New York.

But the important difference between Nashville and Austin is that no self-respecting Nashvillian would eat BBQ'd cow, and no self-respecting Austinite would eat BBQ'd pig. :lol:

Just hope no Texan is lurking here. I ain't in the mood for a Q war. lol

From when I lived in Austin, a young boy was involved in car accident and because he was scared tried to drive away. The other party took the rifle out of their truck rack and blew him away.

There was a crazy driving around the county shooting at motorcyclists.

Whenever I rode my bicycle, I had to duck the beer cans and bottles thrown at me from cars.

A number of hispanic men with their hands tied behind their backs were shot and killed execution style.

One person was shot and killed because they stopped at a stop sign in front of someone who was in a hurry.

Are you trying to say that only conservatives do these types of things? I'm pretty certain that Austin is widely known as the most liberal town in Texas. IMO there's probably an equal probablility that a liberal or a conservative can go over the deep end, get a gun and blow somebody away.

Okay lets try not to go down the political path of what side is likely to do strange and crazy things. The rational and historic politics of either city is fine to discuss, but we don't need to get off track and start talking about conservative or liberal folks inclination to do crazy things. There are liberals, conservatives, moderates, etc on these boards and we don't want to start stereotyping and/or offending anyone unintentionally with what could be said.

Just trying to cut off any problems before they start.

Thanks.

Carry on. :D

I think any city that has a large university as it's main "thing" is a bit left leaning. Look at Lexington, Ky for example. It is a hotbed for Kentucky democrats and left thinking minds. Louisville has a lot of left thinkers and liberals too. Both are home to large state schools that are historically Liberal. I just think that cities with schools that cater to the more Liberal crowd, have more liberal ways of life. Vanderbilt is a good example with Nashville.

I think any city that has a large university as it's main "thing" is a bit left leaning. Look at Lexington, Ky for example. It is a hotbed for Kentucky democrats and left thinking minds. Louisville has a lot of left thinkers and liberals too. Both are home to large state schools that are historically Liberal. I just think that cities with schools that cater to the more Liberal crowd, have more liberal ways of life. Vanderbilt is a good example with Nashville.

Even small universities make a big difference...think of Berea, KY with Berea College or even UTM in Martin, TN. Apparently the liberalism of the Vanderbilt campus has finally corrupted Belmont so much that they are considering dropping the Southern Baptist affiliation. It really hasn't felt Southern Baptist in a long time anyway.

Yep. UTM is fairly liberal by TN standards (not left wing by any means), making the town very progressive in most regards IMO. I would say Martin's political slant falls into the realm of good ole southern moderate-progressive politics (ie still somewhat socially conservative on some things) since its still in rural south. Its a great town though with alot of good things going for it. Well maintained, good public services, good schools, open-minded, safe, etc.

Same can be said of Murray, KY with Murray State University being there.

Even small universities make a big difference...think of Berea, KY with Berea College or even UTM in Martin, TN. Apparently the liberalism of the Vanderbilt campus has finally corrupted Belmont so much that they are considering dropping the Southern Baptist affiliation. It really hasn't felt Southern Baptist in a long time anyway.

Berea is a great example. That statement about Belmont isn't all that off either.

Are you trying to say that only conservatives do these types of things? I'm pretty certain that Austin is widely known as the most liberal town in Texas. IMO there's probably an equal probablility that a liberal or a conservative can go over the deep end, get a gun and blow somebody away.

Hankster, I agree with you that Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. I also agree with you that no matter what someone's political bent that they can go off the deep end and blow somebody away. I just didn't want anyone to think that all of Austin was left over hippies and liberal politics. Even if it has a large University and that lends for it to be more liberal than the state as a whole, most of those students come from other areas in Texas and bring with them their political beliefs be they liberal or conservative. Besides, it's no longer legal to drink and drive in Texas. Maybe all of those trucks that had the beds filled with empty beer cans are cleaned out now.

Hankster, I agree with you that Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. I also agree with you that no matter what someone's political bent that they can go off the deep end and blow somebody away. I just didn't want anyone to think that all of Austin was left over hippies and liberal politics. Even if it has a large University and that lends for it to be more liberal than the state as a whole, most of those students come from other areas in Texas and bring with them their political beliefs be they liberal or conservative. Besides, it's no longer legal to drink and drive in Texas. Maybe all of those trucks that had the beds filled with empty beer cans are cleaned out now.

I think we are in agreement with the political makeup of Austin. You know, I think politics in Austin and Nashville may not be too different. There's a goodly amount of liberal thinking in both cities that is balanced by traditional southern conservatism.

I think we are in agreement with the political makeup of Austin. You know, I think politics in Austin and Nashville may not be too different. There's a goodly amount of liberal thinking in both cities that is balanced by traditional southern conservatism.

Hankster, Again I agree with you.

Archived