Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

satalac

Purcell will not seek a 3rd term

satalac    491

i hope that this will not affect the growth downtown that we have seen under purcell. i think he's done a good job with bringing more density to downtown nashville. hopefully after his term ends two years from now, his replacement will continue what he had started.

Onyte9    0

I'm hoping the trend continues also. Who knows maybe we will luck out and get a guy who's even more enthusiastic about the revival of downtown than Purcell is.

Rural King    1

The citizens of the city know what they want and expect out of a mayor, so as long as that sort of candidate emerges, ie someone in the mold or Bredesen or Purcell, I think they will elect someone who will keep the progress of the city moving right along. So whom might that be? Anybody have any clue who might be looking at running?

Rural King    1

^ Really. He certianly would have the name recognition and history of winning in Nashville to run if he wanted since his former congressional district was basically Davidson County.

Hankster    6

David Briley and Howard Gentry are the two names so far.

Is Briley related to Beverly Briley??? I know I'm dating myself, but I remember when Beverly Briley was Mayor way back in the '60's.

See, Hank, it's worse than you thought. Not son, but GRANDSON! Oh, wait, that goes for me too.

I remember Beverly Briley quite well. He lived in our neighborhood and invited us (group of students who were trying to keep Isaac Litton High School open; closed in '71) into his home for a discussion. He was an interesting man indeed.

Judging from the names mentioned so far, we might actually have a mayor with a southern accent. I'd almost forgotten what that was like with our two latest Yanks. I know Bredesen went to Harvard, was he from Connecticut or Mass or "somewhere up there"? I think Purcell is from Philadelphia.

Lexy    314

See, Hank, it's worse than you thought. Not son, but GRANDSON! Oh, wait, that goes for me too.

I remember Beverly Briley quite well. He lived in our neighborhood and invited us (group of students who were trying to keep Isaac Litton High School open; closed in '71) into his home for a discussion. He was an interesting man indeed.

Judging from the names mentioned so far, we might actually have a mayor with a southern accent. I'd almost forgotten what that was like with our two latest Yanks. I know Bredesen went to Harvard, was he from Connecticut or Mass or "somewhere up there"? I think Purcell is from Philadelphia.

Briley is studying the idea from what I heard on last nights news. I know that Gentry is going to run. He announced that last night.

Rural King    1

Which of these candidates are democrats and which are republicans?

Former Congressman Clement is a Democrat, I assume most of the others are as well. I'm not sure if Metro Council races are partisan or not, a local would know.

Rural King    1

Nashville is a pretty safe Democratic area. I would think it would be hard for a Republican to win a metro-wide election (based on its voting trends for other offices), I won't say impossible, but definately hard and probably requiring special circumstances.

Rural King    1

^ If I had to guess he doesn't want to face a possible court fight over the legality of a 3rd term (as far as I know that hasn't been cleared up yet) and the possible implications of staying longer than two terms may have on any future political ambitions. If he goes out now the odds are his image and political record will be strong enough to run for an office of his choice in the future, another term might see hard issues arise that could lead to decisions that could dampen his political standing. So I guess the stadium could be one of those issues.

smeagolsfree    7005

He may be tired of fighting the budget battle over and over and he has taken a lot of criticism over the last couple of years. I really dont believe he is a very strong leader. He has always seemed a bit timid. Maybe its my perception.

Does anyone else see it that way?

Rural King    1

I heard that too, or rather that he thought about it in the past at least. I don't think he would run against Bredesen, but hey 2010 is not that far away in the political world.

Lexy    314

^ I bet that if he did run against Bredesen, he could win on the Tenn Care issue at the very least. Bredesen has done a great deal for the state no doubt, but Tenn Care has left a sour taste in alot of peoples mouths.