Purcell will not seek a 3rd term

satalac

i hope that this will not affect the growth downtown that we have seen under purcell. i think he's done a good job with bringing more density to downtown nashville. hopefully after his term ends two years from now, his replacement will continue what he had started.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The citizens of the city know what they want and expect out of a mayor, so as long as that sort of candidate emerges, ie someone in the mold or Bredesen or Purcell, I think they will elect someone who will keep the progress of the city moving right along. So whom might that be? Anybody have any clue who might be looking at running?

See, Hank, it's worse than you thought. Not son, but GRANDSON! Oh, wait, that goes for me too.

I remember Beverly Briley quite well. He lived in our neighborhood and invited us (group of students who were trying to keep Isaac Litton High School open; closed in '71) into his home for a discussion. He was an interesting man indeed.

Judging from the names mentioned so far, we might actually have a mayor with a southern accent. I'd almost forgotten what that was like with our two latest Yanks. I know Bredesen went to Harvard, was he from Connecticut or Mass or "somewhere up there"? I think Purcell is from Philadelphia.

See, Hank, it's worse than you thought. Not son, but GRANDSON! Oh, wait, that goes for me too.

I remember Beverly Briley quite well. He lived in our neighborhood and invited us (group of students who were trying to keep Isaac Litton High School open; closed in '71) into his home for a discussion. He was an interesting man indeed.

Judging from the names mentioned so far, we might actually have a mayor with a southern accent. I'd almost forgotten what that was like with our two latest Yanks. I know Bredesen went to Harvard, was he from Connecticut or Mass or "somewhere up there"? I think Purcell is from Philadelphia.

Briley is studying the idea from what I heard on last nights news. I know that Gentry is going to run. He announced that last night.

^ If I had to guess he doesn't want to face a possible court fight over the legality of a 3rd term (as far as I know that hasn't been cleared up yet) and the possible implications of staying longer than two terms may have on any future political ambitions. If he goes out now the odds are his image and political record will be strong enough to run for an office of his choice in the future, another term might see hard issues arise that could lead to decisions that could dampen his political standing. So I guess the stadium could be one of those issues.

Archived