Purcell will not seek a 3rd term

satalac

^ If I had to guess he doesn't want to face a possible court fight over the legality of a 3rd term (as far as I know that hasn't been cleared up yet) and the possible implications of staying longer than two terms may have on any future political ambitions. If he goes out now the odds are his image and political record will be strong enough to run for an office of his choice in the future, another term might see hard issues arise that could lead to decisions that could dampen his political standing. So I guess the stadium could be one of those issues.

i agree. he said that he was going to push for mayoral term limits to two terms while he's still in office. i do agree with that idea because, like mayor purcell said, it will keep the office fresh with new ideas. has he been the best mayor? no, but i have liked what he's done with urban development. education has gotten a little better (except for garcia :sick: ).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I bet that if he did run against Bredesen, he could win on the Tenn Care issue at the very least. Bredesen has done a great deal for the state no doubt, but Tenn Care has left a sour taste in alot of peoples mouths.

Purcell duking it out in a primary would be a gift to the Republican Party, no matter what issue he campaigned on. Purcell would be a credible challenger who could garner some large numbers, but I doubt he could beat Bredesen (the incumbant and party man) in a primary battle. The Republicans on the other hand upon Purcell's entry into the primary would find their credible challenger for the race, which has been a problem thus far, probably by Bryant or Van Hilleary leaving the Senate race. In a race where Bredesen comes out with a fractured base the odds of a Republican Governor taking office in 2007 increase dramatically, odds which currently appear to be pretty dim.

I don't think Purcell or any other credible candidate is going risk what is now a pretty safe race for the Dems in the Gov.'s race. He would burn bridges and lose his prime position to be the Democratic Party frontrunner in the 08 Senate Race or the 2010 Governors Race, if either of those are offices he might want to seek in the future. Politics is alot about timing, this would not be his time to run, but hey he might, stranger things have happened.

Purcell duking it out in a primary would be a gift to the Republican Party, no matter what issue he campaigned on. Purcell would be a credible challenger who could garner some large numbers, but I doubt he could beat Bredesen (the incumbant and party man) in a primary battle. The Republicans on the other hand upon Purcell's entry into the primary would find their credible challenger for the race, which has been a problem thus far, probably by Bryant or Van Hilleary leaving the Senate race. In a race where Bredesen comes out with a fractured base the odds of a Republican Governor taking office in 2007 increase dramatically, odds which currently appear to be pretty dim.

I don't think Purcell or any other credible candidate is going risk what is now a pretty safe race for the Dems in the Gov.'s race. He would burn bridges and lose his prime position to be the Democratic Party frontrunner in the 08 Senate Race or the 2010 Governors Race, if either of those are offices he might want to seek in the future. Politics is alot about timing, this would not be his time to run, but hey he might, stranger things have happened.

You bring up some good points.

Archived