What Cities Can One be Openly Gay In?

What cities are best for a person to be openly gay in? Some cities are safer than others. Other cities, while safe, are not as accepting as others. Some cities people can talk openly about sexuality in, while in others people do not mention it, kind of like the U.S. military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. Where would cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Louisville fit, in your opinion? I'm interested in hearing others' perspectives.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No city is safe to be openingly Gay in in the USA. There are crazed self rightous bigots everywhere that who think you should be dead for being Gay. Harvey Milk was the first openly gay man to be elected to office in San Francisco and was later shot dead by another anti-gay councilman. His defense, junk food made him depressed. He got 5 years with parole.

Since then the public tolerates and even accept Gays & Lesbians almost everywhere in the USA. But the bigots are still there. Some have even posted here, but most are secretive about it now. There are Gayborhoods in most places where two men can walk down the street holding hands, but I don't know of any city where that can happen everywhere throughout the city.

No city is safe to be openingly Gay in in the USA. There are crazed self rightous bigots everywhere that who think you should be dead for being Gay. Harvey Milk was the first openly gay man to be elected to office in San Francisco and was later shot dead by another anti-gay councilman. His defense, junk food made him depressed. He got 5 years with parole.

Since then the public tolerates and even accept Gays & Lesbians almost everywhere in the USA. But the bigots are still there. Some have even posted here, but most are secretive about it now. There are Gayborhoods in most places where two men can walk down the street holding hands, but I don't know of any city where that can happen everywhere throughout the city.

I see your point, and it's valid. I've lived in Louisville, Boston, Milwaukee, and some other places. In Louisville, for example, people talk about who is gay, bi, or straight without any hesitation. But in Milwaukee, they tend to not mention it directly. They might say two gay people are "best friends" or some euphenism like that, rather than say the words "gay" or "bi" outright. Historically Wisconsin has always been progressive, so I'm not sure why Milwaukee is like this.

Someone I know suggested that there are no poor gayborhoods. Can anyone think of one?

Originally gayborhoods started in the poor rundown areas of cities because gays moved to these places to be left alone. San Francisco's Castro neighborhood is the most famous example of this. This was during the 1970s during the first big rise of the Gay Rights movement. Remember prior to this the police would arrest and jail two men for just dancing with each other. (Stonewall Riot of 1969).

Over time these places where fixed up and became very expensive places to live and the original Gays that did this have either sold out and moved on, or died from AIDS, however some remain. But places such as Castro are extremely expensive now and are no longer as Gay as they once were. Most of the original Gay neighborhoods are like this now. The thing about Gayborhoods is they are nice places to live and and are attractive to the non-Gay world as well now.

So to answer your question, I don't think there are really any low cost Gayborhoods mainly because they are now high demand neighborhoods. I think today, you don't see new Gayborhoods being created because the need isn't there like it was in the 70s. This is probably a good thing since it means that Gays & Lesbians are being integrated into mainstream society and don't need to wall themselves off in their own segregated communities.

• 2 weeks later...

No city is safe to be openingly Gay in in the USA. There are crazed self rightous bigots everywhere that who think you should be dead for being Gay.

While I think this is true to a degree, it seems to me that most cities particularly in downtown areas are quite tolerant. I know that in my city to see a couple walking down the street holding hands is really a non-issue. This seems to be the same in many of the other cities I have visited, and would imagine it is the same in Louisville, Milwaukee, Detroit and Indy.(At least I would hope)

Provincetown isn't much of a city, but it's probably one of the most, of not the most, accepting (and liberal) places in the US. And a fun place to visit too :D . Its interesting, because half thw town is the resident very-openly gay population and the other half are families with little kids and grandmas on vacation.

Philly, NY, and east coast city is gay friendly at least in Center sity, i dont know if thats the case in say west Philly or nt, because ive never been there.

Columbus has an openly gay city council member

The cities central core is also one of the gayest places in all of america

The number of gay establishments ranks very high, I have a friend who moved to Columbus from Seattle and he said there is twice the number of gay areas and bars/restaurants

Columbus also had the us' first "gay themed" restaurant. Out on Main

Archived