The Midlands Area Developments

The_sandlapper

Thought this would be a good place to post information about projects and happenings not directly in the Cola UA.

More good news for the region in the effort to bring brainpower jobs in. A Chinese appliance maker will move research and development jobs to Camden! Looks like the region is getting its share of international exposure lately. :thumbsup:

Camden Research and Design Development

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good news!! Often i find my self on Central Carolina Alliance website looking for new developments in the midlands area. I think the Central Carolina Alliance is acutually helping the whole midland connect and helping the infill. And on top of that Columbia is about to have 3 new foriegn companies relocate to columbia for the Hydrogen Cell thing. Great news for the Midlands

• 2 weeks later...

The Columbia Free Times reports that Lexington town leaders plan to hold a news conference Nov. 8 to announce the annexation of about 315 acres. The land borders U.S. 378 leading into Lexington. It will extend the town limits along the highway to Interstate 20. Mayor Randy Halfacre says the land is "slated for a variety of uses, from commercial and professional to residential and even a church."

That is pretty significant. I wonder how much of it is already developed?

I have absolutely no idea. I haven't even been to Lexington.

When it comes to metropolitan nomenclature according to Census Bureau designations, I wonder how populated a secondary city has to be in order to be included in the MSA name. It's only a matter of time, I think, before the Columbia MSA becomes the Columbia-Lexington MSA.

I have absolutely no idea. I haven't even been to Lexington.

When it comes to metropolitan nomenclature according to Census Bureau designations, I wonder how populated a secondary city has to be in order to be included in the MSA name. It's only a matter of time, I think, before the Columbia MSA becomes the Columbia-Lexington MSA.

I think it will be awhile before that happens, but it may happen eventually. I think Columbia-Sumter will occur sooner, however.

There was an article in todays paper discussing the boom of development occuring on highway 378 and I-20. If anyone has been out that way they can easily see that this area of the metro along with Richland NE can see the sprawl pop up. The plan is for 280 apartments, a hotel and two medical buildings. The project joins more than a dozen others

Lexington is in the running for a new manufacturing facility that could invest as much as $100 million and employ as many as 500 workers, according to the company's president. Poly-America, based in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area, is looking at a 105-acre tract at I-26 and I-77. Three other sites are under consideration, another one being in SC as well. The advantage that Lexington has is that the company already owns the site under consideration.

The company makes plastic bags, gardening products such as weed barriers and edging, plastic vapor barriers used in construction and waste-containment liners.

This would be a pretty big boost to the Midlands economy if this happens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I will likely be participating in a community design charette in the town of Chapin next week. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the area, but if you are, and if you have any ideas that you'd like to share in regards to the planning/design of the town, please post 'em and I'll consider including them in my notes to pass along to the design team.

Just a few random ideas that I've already included:

Streetscaping Hwy. 76 & establishing pedestrian scale

Park-and-ride/park-and-walk lot (parking concealed from view by buildings & landscaping) w/ considerations for future conversion to commuter rail stop

Establish in-town park and green spaces -- encourage pedestrian linkage in town & bike traffic linkage to Crooked Creek Park

Build density in town center -- encourage appropriate design

Post 'em if ya got. Ideas can be very broad or specific... whatever...

Archived