The Midlands Area Developments

The_sandlapper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for the first time to explore Newberry and also drove through Prosperity yesterday. They both looked pretty sad with lots of closed stores and rundown buildings, but they both have A LOT of potential with their historic downtowns and squares. A good rail connection to Columbia and they would be great places to live. Much better than suburbia.

• 2 weeks later...

More news about Toyota and its possible influence/future on the Midlands and the SC hydrogen economy. Toyota plans to lease 1600 sq ft at Aiken's Hydrogen Research center. This quote seems interesting, ("Toyota has two contracts with Savannah River in the area of hydrogen storage. The company also has a joint development agreement with USC in a nondisclosed area, Griffith said"). Could the "big fish" being courted at Innovista possibly be Toyota?

Toyota in Aiken

• 1 month later...

Great news for the Columbia metro: the Haier plant in Camden is planning a three-phase expansion at its Kershaw County manufacturing plant that will create 1,000 more jobs and represent a total investment of $150 million, Chinese Vice Premier Wu Yi announced on yesterday. This will be a five-fold increase in the number of workers presently at the plant. Haier is China

• 1 month later...

More jobs are on the way to the area. Allied Air Enterprises Inc. of Bellevue, Ohio, a heating and air-conditioning company, soon will build a $6 million facility in Lexington County that will add 52 new jobs, paying almost $17 an hour, about $2 more than the county

A $30 million retail center to be built on 34 acres between Longtown Road and the new Longreen Parkway is in the works for Blythewood. It will have room for an anchor grocery store and nine separate neighborhood-style businesses, such as a bank and a pharmacy, for residents of several subdivisions being built nearby.

Yup...Just moved out there and they'll starting already...Alot of land.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgitron LLC recently celebrated the grand opening of its newest manufacturing facility in Camden. Forgitron is a privately-held Ohio company that manufactures forged aluminum wheels for the truck, automotive and motorcycle markets using the latest rotary forging technologies. Located on 20 acres in Steeplechase Industrial Park off Interstate 20, the 78,000 square foot facility has 6,000 square feet of office space and, with adjacent undeveloped land, the building can be expanded by an additional 160,000 square feet in the future. Plans for these expansion phases are already underway.

The plant manager says,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lexington County is hoping to borrow $13 million for the county's industrial park off I-26 near Calhoun County.

If I'm thinking right, this will be somewhere between Orangeburg and Columbia, where you actually pass through Lexington County twice and Calhoun County once. But Calhoun County has its own industrial park off I-26, so why would you want to build one in such close proximity?

Looks like Camden is getting more serious about growth. Kudos to them for developing a plan. This is why the Columbia area is in desperate need for a REGIONAL plan that address and guides growth and development and the issues that come along with that (e.g., various forms of transit).

Yeah... it is kind of a big deal. We saw the signs out driving around a month ago and I forgot to post it... the excitement wore off after browsing their site for a while. It seems like a good idea, but kind of canned. The branding got me interested though. If anyone has ever been to Phillips Place in Charlotte, I get the sense that this will feel a lot like that -- it's a pedestrian-oriented shopping center with a Post Properties apartment complex in the back. This is kind of like that (the main street area layout is identical with the hotel at one end and theater at the other), but on steroids -- with green space, other multi-family housing and single-family homes spread out nearby.

Phillips Place:

mp3.jpg

Although they are obviously different in many ways, this project kind of reminds me of Acadia, under-construction near Greenville. I am all for this type of development, since sprawl is inevitable anyway. :shades:

Acadia will be a true New Urban village...This Killian's Crossing thing is New Urban wanna-be. I've checked it out the Acadia site before -- I'm kind of a Traditional Neighborhood Development nerd. Love their concept -- although a lot of design-related things that used to be on the site have been removed, so I wonder what's up. But if the vibe that the renderings give off can be translated to the built environment with excellence, it will be a really special place.

Archived